The White Shadow

Burnout

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Mar 09, 1981 on CBS

• One of the better episodes of Season 3.

Anyone who's a teacher or who has worked in som capacity with teenagers needs to watch this episode. It's very easy to throw your heart into such a job, and, at first, you get admiring looks and wide-eyed enthusiasm. But, sometimes, the longer you stay in the job, the more you have to deal with new generations of teens who have no idea what their predecessors went through and assume they are entitled to whatever they please.

And, that is the struggle of Mr. Mackey, Carver's history teacher. Mackey was once an equal-rights activist and very devoted to the cause of helping black students realize that they have the ability to make a difference. At one time, Mackey could spout rhetoric forcefully and win respect. Now, a new generation of student with little to no respect for authority has taken shape, and Mackey can't deal with it. It is almost haunting to see Mackey deteriorate into indifference as he sees his attempts to educate are going nowhere; to the point where he almost has no choice but to resign. A powerful episode that teaches us all about adaptation and self-examination of whether or not we are really where we want to be in life.