The Wiggles

Season 5 Episode v25

Splish! Splash! Big Red Boat (VIDEO-2006)

Aired Daily 4:30 PM Jun 06, 2006 on NBC

• It\'s not really the peak of the Wiggles season since that happened back at the Live! Hot Potatoes video, but it does involve a boat, and Captain Feathersword does get on some water skimming apparatus much like The Fonz.

Storyline - More remakes of Wiggles songs set to interchangeable videos. This also introduces the Mariachi Wiggles, which are animated and sing all their songs in Spanish; their song selections are rather complicated to learn the lyrics without replays, and the animations won\'t keep you interested to do that. There are plenty of new Wigglehouse skits (many more than their previous two videos) and a few Captain Feathersword Pirate Crew skits; the best being when Captain Feathersword does his Magic Buttons personalities, and the worst being the attempt to stretch and repeat the \"Oh really? No, O\'Reilly\" pun into several minutes.

Songs - only one new song (Big Red Boat) plus a video of the Wiggles Classic song Little Brown Ant from their Wiggly CD's. Everything else has been played many times on other videos and the TV show. At least there\'s no pointing your fingers and doing the twist. Some bonus nursery songs like \"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star\" and the variants of "Where is Thumbkin?" ensure that little toddlers will enjoy the music.

Dances - Most of the same old stuff but with hardly any kids dancing. Captain\'s Magic Buttons is fun to try out, except for Adrian\'s back handsprings. My little pup really liked Nicky Nacky Nocky Noo; that\'s a classic; I wish the Wiggles would do more songs like that.

Mascots - Not much participation. I think Dorothy does one skit, and Wags does some talking in a shopping skit. What happened to Henry?

Characters and Guests - Anthony gets to show off his bass voice several times, which is a hoot. Two Australian celebs join in on the fun: Beccy Cole, an Aussie country music singer, and Amanda Keller, a TV personality. Their spots were OK, nothing terribly interesting. There might be others but I don\'t know whether they are really guests or just Wiggles dancers and crew. Except for Professor Singalottasonga of course.

Because of all the new Wigglehouse skits, you\'ll be ahead of the TV broadcast after renting this one at the library. But only add to your collection if:
    1. You loved the skits.
    2. You've ignored anything made by the Wiggles before 2005.
    3. You want to support the dancers.

P.S. I boosted the score since my pup wants to watch this one instead of Top of the Tots. And you know what? Those little ones are the real critics!