The Winner Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Pilot Discussion

Ollivander

[1]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    I already don't like the laugh track. Though I did enjoy the Wonder Years angle
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sparky672

[2]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 2
    That was so bad I doubt they'll get to play all six episodes.

TimWidhalm

[3]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 10
    I like this show and don't know why people hate it so much, it was funny and I know that the laugh track took care of the laughing but it was still really good

sparky672

[4]Mar 4, 2007
    For me... nothing was working.

There's something really creepy and unfunny about an unemployed 32 year old man hanging out with the 13 year old neighbor boy. Discussing with the kid how he's going to have sex with this kid's mom and expecting the boy to help him figure out how to buy condoms, select a hooker, and lose his virginity. The premise is so ridiculous, it's beyond bad.

Everyone is saying it might be better without the laugh track. I doubt it. Without the laugh track, it might be worse... the really creepy stuff might be more obvious and uncomfortable.

Could anything besides a recording have laughed at this line?

"... I'm sure his father molested him."

TimWidhalm

[5]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 10

sparky672 wrote:
    For me... nothing was working. There's something really creepy and unfunny about an unemployed 32 year old man hanging out with the 13 year old neighbor boy. Discussing with the kid how he's going to have sex with this kid's mom and expecting the boy to help him figure out how to buy condoms, select a hooker, and lose his virginity. The premise is so ridiculous, it's beyond bad. Everyone is saying it might be better without the laugh track. I doubt it. Without the laugh track, it might be worse... the really creepy stuff might be more obvious and uncomfortable. Could anything besides a recording have laughed at this line? "... I'm sure his father molested him."

I don't know if you watch Family Guy but if you do then you know that they do those kind of uncomfortable lines a lot of the time and it works so I don't see whats wrong with it when this show does it

Edited on 03/04/2007 7:37pm

sparky672

[6]Mar 4, 2007
    TimWidhalm wrote:

I don't know if you watch Family Guy but if you do then you know that they do those kind of uncomfortable lines a lot of the time and it works so I don't see whats wrong with it when this show does it

For Family Guy or even American Dad, it just works. Probably because they're cartoons... and they're well written.

Even when I'm offended by them, I still enjoy the shows overall... mostly just because I'm laughing.

EDIT:

Seriously, imagine how bad one of these funny cartoons would be if they were live action. The format matters (so does the writing).
    Edited on 03/04/2007 7:51pm

danigro89

[7]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 37
    sparky672 wrote:
    TimWidhalm wrote:

For Family Guy or even American Dad, it just works. Probably because they're cartoons... and they're well written. Even when I'm offended by them, I still enjoy the shows overall... mostly just because I'm laughing. EDIT: Seriously, imagine how bad one of these funny cartoons would be if they were live action. The format matters (so does the writing).

Yeah see everyone is offended when this stuff his happening live action but when it happens in Family Guy and American Dad no one seems to mind. Everyone needs to remember that this is just a show and everything is fake so we should just go along with the story and be entertained. For me the first two episodes were a great start, an Adult who knows as much about girls as the kid does trying to learn together and help each other out.

sparky672

[8]Mar 4, 2007
    danigro89 wrote:
    ... Everyone needs to remember that this is just a show and everything is fake so we should just go along with the story and be entertained...

Yeah, pretty hard to forget everything is fake... with the fake story, fake comedic situations, and fake laughing audience. LOL

Do you honestly believe the comedy writing of "The Winner" is just as good & creative as Family Guy, American Dad, The Simpsons, The Office, 30 Rock, or {insert any funny sitcom here}?
    Edited on 03/04/2007 8:50pm

optimumacid

[9]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 4
    None of those sitcoms you mentioned were funny.

TheDonz013

[10]Mar 4, 2007
    This show definitely seems to be a hit or miss for people.  I was not expecting much for this show, but as I watched more episodes it got better and better.  I personally enjoy the show and the laughing doesnt bother me that much, its mostly covered by my own laughter.

EJamison

[11]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    I was getting a bit bored at the beginning of the pilot but when the kid exclaimed, "You like my mom!" I felt the rest of the episode was funny.  The second episode had some moments but I started getting bored again.  I'll probably watch again, but I don't have much expectations.  I don't suppose the writers have had to think about if they'd ever give us a clue how the guy eventually got rich.

kinglink2

[12]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 16
    Five minutes into the episode and it's obvious the show is awful.  To those who like it, good luck because this is going to leave a crater the size of a small city.  If you can laugh at the jokes kudos, but personally this is far beneath me.   I tend to avoid shows with a laugh track for a reason, because a good comedy doesn't NEED a laugh track.       

BruceRM

[13]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    It was funny when Chris Elliot did it 15 years ago on "Get a Life" (also on Fox).  Chris Elliot was creepy, but in a funny way.  This show was just not funny, which left nothing but creepiness.  That reminds me, are we ever going to have the series "Get a Life" on DVD?  It was one of the funniest shows of the early 90's.  This "Winner" show, at least the first two episodes, is a blatant and pathetic rip off of Get a Life.  I hope Chris Elliot is getting royalty checks every time Corddry plays a middle-aged virgin loser living with his parents on TV.

sparky672

[14]Mar 4, 2007
    optimumacid wrote:
    None of those sitcoms you mentioned were funny.

Yeah, you're right... no laugh track so they couldn't have been funny.

sparky672

[15]Mar 4, 2007
    BruceRM wrote:
    ... That reminds me, are we ever going to have the series "Get a Life" on DVD?...

"Get a Life" has been available on DVD since 2000 according to Amazon.

I agree with your other points.

danigro89

[16]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 37
    Well FOX is in Desperate needs of sitcoms so maybe The Winner will start up something good.

Duds_2k

[17]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    Global Warming.
    Bloody Sunday massacre.
    Nuclear Winter.
    War in Iraq.

All marginally funnier than this.

Drewchic

[18]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 9
    Duds_2k wrote:
    Global Warming.
    Bloody Sunday massacre.
    Nuclear Winter.
    War in Iraq.

All marginally funnier than this.
    No way! I liked the show. The second episode,not so much,but the first episode had a few pretty darn funny moments. Not a laugh riot all the way through (like that Party Of Five joke...just another 90's reference to make the show as 90's as possible...they should've thrown in a Pulp Fiction reference of some sort...or Forrest Gump...maybe later!) but the molestation joke was funny,the O.J. Simpson opening joke was funny,the ending (with them watching O.J. on TV and stuff) was funny,the fact that the woman's last name was McKeller (also the last name of the actress who played Winnie on the show that this show clearly resembles and parodies,The Wonder Years,maybe just a coincidence,maybe not!). I could name funny moments. Second episode maybe the "Are you a cop?" question and the "Pick one!" line but that's it. I can not name any others and oh the fact that the Chinese woman had no accent!

sparky672

[19]Mar 5, 2007
    Drewchic wrote:
    .... I could name funny moments.... and oh the fact that the Chinese woman had no accent!

What made it funny that the Chinese prostitute had no accent?

Chinese people are born in America all the time, after all.

Drewchic

[20]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 9
    sparky672 wrote:
    Drewchic wrote:
    .... I could name funny moments.... and oh the fact that the Chinese woman had no accent!

What made it funny that the Chinese prostitute had no accent?

Chinese people are born in America all the time, after all.
    Because she talked like she had an accent with the sweet-talk and I expected her to have an accent and when I heard that she didn't,I laughed,because normally those Chinese people (I think) have accents (take In Case Of Emergency,if you watch it,which I doubt that you do for example,Kelly doesn't really have an accent,but she puts on an accent,this is like a flip-flop of that in a way). See kind of what I mean now?