We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Winner Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

So bad it's actually funny

alp1981

[1]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 18
    aside from the laugh track which i'm sure most people hated, i really liked this show. i hope it sticks around. anyone with me?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pesatyel

[2]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 1

Only a few.

This is one of the worst shows I have ever seen.

Most of the discussion I've seen regarding the show are decidedly negative towards it.

mp34mp

[3]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 16
    It's just odd. It's like he's 13 along with his buddy who acts cooler than he actually is. Quite frankly, this show doesn't really appeal to a wide audience and it just comes off as pretty dumb.

sparky672

[4]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 2
    mp34mp wrote:
    It's just odd. It's like he's 13 along with his buddy who acts cooler than he actually is. Quite frankly, this show doesn't really appeal to a wide audience and it just comes off as pretty dumb.

I agree. Very odd and very creepy. Creepy in a "Michael Jackson/stalker" kind of way.

There's nothing clever about it either or they wouldn't need the laugh track.

And if you think the laugh track is part of some inside gag... sorry, it's just not working here.

What about the back-story? So he's rich and we must endure his pathetic life ten years previous... unless they're going to reveal how he made his fortune, the back-story is pretty much pointless.... it adds absolutely nothing to the current so-called "comedic" situations. He's a 32 yr-old loser living with his parents... that's all you need to know.
    Edited on 03/11/2007 10:33pm

faCt24

[5]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 31

sparky672 wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    I agree. Very odd and very creepy. Creepy in a "Michael Jackson/stalker" kind of way. There's nothing clever about it either or they wouldn't need the laugh track. And if you think the laugh track is part of some inside gag... sorry, it's just not working here. What about the back-story? So he's rich and we must endure his pathetic life ten years previous... unless they're going to reveal how he made his fortune, the back-story is pretty much pointless.... it adds absolutely nothing to the current so-called "comedic" situations. He's a 32 yr-old loser living with his parents... that's all you need to know.

agree

alp1981

[6]Mar 12, 2007
    Well I like it. Sure it's not the most distinguised or clever show on TV but there's nothing wrong with a little low brow humor. And that's exactly what it is. And other than animated comedies, it's the only one of its kind on TV. I find it to be original and refreshing.

adritch

[7]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    It has funny points, but the storyline/plot are just wierd and creepy. Was this show written by Michael Jackson? I think they are trying to appeal to people like the main character, not nessesarily pedofiles, but loners and 30 year-olds living in thier parents basements. Maybe there are enough of them around, but I hope not.

skott215

[8]Mar 14, 2007
    you know as more and more people actualy watch the show and not just the first 10min im talking like 2-3 episodes they are begaining to like it. i have been on a few boards were people said they jumped the gun and are actualy quite amused by the show now. it is great give it an actual chance and you wont be let down.

alp1981

[9]Mar 14, 2007
    skott215 wrote:
    you know as more and more people actualy watch the show and not just the first 10min im talking like 2-3 episodes they are begaining to like it. i have been on a few boards were people said they jumped the gun and are actualy quite amused by the show now. it is great give it an actual chance and you wont be let down.

i totally agree

pacojonezl40

[10]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 21

alp1981 wrote:
    skott215 wrote:
    i totally agree

I actually found myself in the opposite position. I liked the pilot episode, but think that it has gone downhill from there. I was one of the few defending it when the first two episodes were on. But the next two I just didn't find as amusing. I'll still watch it and maybe it will get better with time.

sparky672

[11]Mar 17, 2007
    alp1981 wrote:
    skott215 wrote:

i totally agree

It's a sitcom, not a mini-series.

Every episode should be funny or people won't bother tuning in for the next episode.

sparky672

[12]Mar 17, 2007
    So bad it's actually bad...

March 11 Nielsen Ratings

> for 8:30 PM EST slot-
    Week-to-week numbers (The Winner):
    Households - 4.3/7 to 4.1/6
    Viewers - 7.10M to 6.81M
    Adults 18-49 - 3.5/8 to 3.4/9

> for 9:30 PM EST slot-
    Week-to-week numbers (The Winner):
    Households - 3.8/6 to 3.6/6
    Viewers - 6.07M to 5.64M
    Adults 18-49 - 3.1/7 to 2.9/7

http://entertainmentnow.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/broadcast-tv-ratings-for-sunday-march-11-2007/

skott215

[13]Mar 17, 2007
    People hated the Office when if came to the US. I loved it but it got better with time. Hmm it seem that the ratings for the Office have picked up since it started too.

sparky672

[14]Mar 17, 2007
    skott215 wrote:
    People hated the Office when if came to the US. I loved it but it got better with time. Hmm it seem that the ratings for the Office have picked up since it started too.

The Office may have also had poor ratings but perhaps for different reasons.

The Winner's ratings are going down week to week and when compared to The Simpsons and Family Guy, more than 25% of those people are changing the channel to get away from it.

Oh well, only time will tell.
    Edited on 03/17/2007 4:30pm

seinfeld111690

[15]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 25
    So bad it is actually not funny

TimWidhalm

[16]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 10

[QUOTE="sparky672"]So bad it's actually bad... March 11 Nielsen Ratings > for 8:30 PM EST slot- Week-to-week numbers (The Winner): Households - 4.3/7 to 4.1/6 Viewers - 7.10M to 6.81M Adults 18-49 - 3.5/8 to 3.4/9 > for 9:30 PM EST slot- Week-to-week numbers (The Winner): Households - 3.8/6 to 3.6/6 Viewers - 6.07M to 5.64M Adults 18-49 - 3.1/7 to 2.9/7 http://entertainmentnow.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/broadcast-tv-ratings-for-sunday-march-11-2007/[/QUOTE]

You can't really take into account the nielson ratings because they are so inaccurate because:

1st: the Nielson Rating System thinks that every house has 1 television but what happens if a family has 3 televisons and they are all watching the same show but on their own tv, so the rating only counts that 1 tv and they leave out the other 2

2nd: Some people don't participate in the Nielson Rating System and don't fill out what they watched so you can't be sure exactly who was watching

Edited on 03/18/2007 8:20pm

sparky672

[17]Mar 18, 2007
    TimWidhalm wrote:

You can't really take into account the nielson ratings because they are so inaccurate because:

1st: the Nielson Rating System thinks that every house has 1 television but what happens if a family has 3 televisons and they are all watching the same show but on their own tv, so the rating only counts that 1 tv and they leave out the other 2

2nd: Some people don't participate in the Nielson Rating System and don't fill out what they watched so you can't be sure exactly who was watching

The ratings are so poor and inaccurate that Nielsen Media Research is a highly successful multi-million dollar company. LOL!

But it doesn't really matter what you and I think of Nielsen's methods. All that matters is what Fox thinks of Nielsen... since Fox probably buys their research data from Nielsen, I suspect that ratings take a high priority for Fox.

And losing 25 to 30% of your Simpsons, Family Guy, or American Dad audience every-time The Winner comes on is not a good sign. The Simpsons and Family Guy were re-runs tonight making the audience leading into The Winner even smaller; so I'll bet this week's ratings of The Winner are even lower than last week's.

Even the activity in this discussion forum has slowed substantially since the debut of this show.

It's doomed.

TimWidhalm

[18]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 10
    sparky672 wrote:
    TimWidhalm wrote:

The ratings are so poor and inaccurate that Nielsen Media Research is a highly successful multi-million dollar company. LOL! But it doesn't really matter what you and I think of Nielsen's methods. All that matters is what Fox thinks of Nielsen... since Fox probably buys their research data from Nielsen, I suspect that ratings take a high priority for Fox. And losing 25 to 30% of your Simpsons, Family Guy, or American Dad audience every-time The Winner comes on is not a good sign. The Simpsons and Family Guy were re-runs tonight making the audience leading into The Winner even smaller; so I'll bet this week's ratings of The Winner are even lower than last week's. Even the activity in this discussion forum has slowed substantially since the debut of this show. It's doomed.

Your right it only matters what FOX believes even though if they don't want the truth and there isn't really an excuse for the 7:30 time slot but for 8:30 they are going up against Desperate Housewives which is a highly rated show and and Family Guy is going up against it as well but they are a more established than this show so that may be the reason why the 8:30 doesn't do all that well.  Plus if they can this show which they probably wont but if they do then what will they get to replace it AD will be back next season and so leaves a time slot without a show so it's either stick with this show or start over with a brand new show and if they start over then we will be in the same boat as we were when this show started.

sparky672

[19]Mar 18, 2007
    TimWidhalm wrote:

Your right it only matters what FOX believes even though if they don't want the truth and there isn't really an excuse for the 7:30 time slot but for 8:30 they are going up against Desperate Housewives which is a highly rated show and and Family Guy is going up against it as well but they are a more established than this show so that may be the reason why the 8:30 doesn't do all that well.  Plus if they can this show which they probably wont but if they do then what will they get to replace it AD will be back next season and so leaves a time slot without a show so it's either stick with this show or start over with a brand new show and if they start over then we will be in the same boat as we were when this show started.

New shows come and go all the time... more fail than succeed... some are produced, ready to go, and never even get a chance to make it on the air.

If they don't have something else all ready to go, they'll probably just stick with Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad re-runs like they've been doing all along. I heard a rumor that Futurama is coming back too, so who knows?

mp34mp

[20]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 16
    [QUOTE="TimWidhalm"]

sparky672 wrote:
    So bad it's actually bad... March 11 Nielsen Ratings > for 8:30 PM EST slot- Week-to-week numbers (The Winner): Households - 4.3/7 to 4.1/6 Viewers - 7.10M to 6.81M Adults 18-49 - 3.5/8 to 3.4/9 > for 9:30 PM EST slot- Week-to-week numbers (The Winner): Households - 3.8/6 to 3.6/6 Viewers - 6.07M to 5.64M Adults 18-49 - 3.1/7 to 2.9/7 http://entertainmentnow.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/broadcast-tv-ratings-for-sunday-march-11-2007/[/QUOTE]

1st: the Nielson Rating System thinks that every house has 1 television but what happens if a family has 3 televisons and they are all watching the same show but on their own tv, so the rating only counts that 1 tv and they leave out the other 2

It's done electronically, genius. They install a box inside of the TV, and then the Neilsen guy comes to the residence & then to the TV and downloads the data with his device.