The Wire

Ebb Tide

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 01, 2003 on HBO

• At first, I thought this ep should have been subtitled "Dude, Where's My Wire?" It seemed that much out of character. But what I forgot was that this series prides itself on the slow, deliberate set-up, and pays off patient viewing - in spades...

The second season begins a far cry from the setting we are used to: McNulty has been exiled to Harbor Patrol, and the rest of the Detail have been scattered to the four winds. We don't even see another familiar face (other than Bunk, who pays Jimmy a visit)until much later in the episode, as a storyline featuring dock workers is set up. I was upset- for a minute- then, I was once again reminded of how different this show is from anything else out there. It took guts to depart this far from last year's proven plotline, and considerable creative prowess to hook me into the radically different new storyline- which I was in no time flat. It seems like dead bodies follow McNulty wherever he goes, and, sure enough, a Jane Doe floats onto his beat (followed shortly by 13, count 'em, 13 others). The political machinations downtown continue, and life goes on at the Pit for Bodie and crew. Avon is still pulling the strings from behind bars. Kima is healed up and working a desk job (while she and her partner try to conceive a baby), and Herc and Carver are doing their thing in separate arenas. And Daniels gets the plum assignment of overseeing the Evidence Room. But the genius of this show is that it's already starting to tie these disparate elements into a compelling narrative whole. I'm excited already- on with the show!