The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Give me a reason to watch "The Wire"

domino87

[21]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    Great Analogy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nicmar19422

[22]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 7
    It was a good comparisison although I don't hold the show in equal regard it was a good way of putting it

sean2evo

[23]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 8
    If you like CSI or other 40 minute procedurals with no ongoing storyline and barely any character development or complexity/dimensions - then you won't like the Wire. If you don't mind concentrating on what you're watching and you have the patience to get into it and understand it, this is one of the best.

WittyName

[24]May 11, 2009
    • level: 6

The best reason I can give you to watch The Wire is this: It's all in the beauty and reality of the characters. Each may be a fictional representation, but within their context, they are all real people trying to make sense of this crazy world they live in. If you've ever stopped to think "What the f*** is the point of all this?" then you will appreciate The Wire. The show is much larger than its plot, and speaks universally about corruption -- because this world is corrupt, and The Wire will show you how it got this way -- or at least how it keeps going in that fashion.

The great film critic Roger Ebert often remarks about how the most universal truths can be found in the most minute details, and The Wire fits that description perfectly. Through these very deliberate and specific characters you can recognise such truths about human nature. It's just fascinating to see it unravel. The Wire is life.

meee223

[25]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 8
    I also heard so many positives about this show, so I took a chance and rented Season 1. Watched about 4 episodes and found it hard to follow, so therefore, it just wasn't interesting enough to continue. Sorry...Same thing for the Sopranos. Not hard to follow, but just couldn't get interested either.

pokeHQ

[26]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 1

Hey - and if you don't want to watch THE WIRE - you can always play the board game version - have you seen this? http://bit.ly/b1vZ9a

bengarrett1439

[27]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 5

I just finished the complete series a few days ago (bought all of them on dvd) and let me just say that it is one of the greatest shows to ever be on television. It is slow at times, but it has some nice action. More than that though, it is smart. it doesnt spoon feed the viewer, and really makes you think about certain things.

I am taking a journalism program at college right now and I just wrote my first review.

please check it out. It's spoiler free and details the highs and lows (not really very many lows with this show)of the series.

http://benjamin1439.blogspot.com/2010/10/wire-complete-series-review.html

it would mean a lot for anyone to check it out and post in the comments section there. thanks!