The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Official Discussion Thread - "-30-" (S05E10) (Spoilers)

Plonked

[41]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 16
    Ahhhhh! I cant watch this until tomorrow. I hope everyone is still disscussing this tomorrow. I came right to the end of this thread without reading any pervious posts. I dare not look!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

peteruspl

[42]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 7
    Last episode of the Wire was pretty grim, with many of great characters dead and many loosing. Also Marlo teh pure villian survived. However I think it's not out of question he'll be approached in the future by someone "for Joe".

However I still liked it. It was consequent with the rest of the show and closed it pretty well. It's a shame best tv show ever is over now. Hopefully writers from The Wire were already approached by HBO guy and enlisted for some awesome new serial.

E_Queen

[43]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 10

I actually liked the ending. In reading all the blogs and entries, I thought I was going to be disappointed but I wasn't so much.

McNulty- He always felt that there was a method to his madness and he proved it was. And by not falling into another reason for doing it the way Rawls wanted him to was cool. Always liked him now I remember why.

Kima- Glad that she told them and their reaction. No grudges. They all know they did what they had to do and she did what she had to.

Slim Charles- Thank you, cause I was wanting to do that the whole time Cheese was talking. Bet he wished he would stayed in jail. lol.

Bubs- So happy for him. When he was able to go upstairs my heart melted.

Dukie- I am sad for him...but more the same reason someone else said because of how he used Prez.

Michael- Love him, just glad he is not dead! About him being the new Omar....um not exactly sure.

I am glad it ended the way it did because like some else mentioned ut leaves room for other things to happen in the future. As long as Dukie and Michael are not dead. We can see them getting out of what they are in and making a better life themselves. Killing Snoop and them thinking he was the snitch can blow over and even if he do not stay in Baltimore he can go live with his Aunt or something positive. You have to remember they are only 15-16. The same with Dukie...we see how much Prez still cared for him, he may eventually help him or Michael could come save him.

With Templeton...trust and believe the Pulitzer could be taken away! I am glad Gus did everything he did, he didn't fall into the good ol boys role.

Carcetti being the Governor may be miserable. I can picture a scandal because remember he wasn't perfect last season I really thought his campaign manager for Mayor was going to spill on him this season.

Happy for Daniels and his girl, the judge.

Marlo...who! LMAO. That was the ultimate punishment for him, no one knowing his name! lol.

With Weebay and Chris in the yard together...trust me it happens all the time, people that were in the game under different crews meet up in jail...trust me that is the norm! lol.

Thanks "The Wire" I watched from the first episode to the last! Wonderful and I even forgive you for the storyline about the docks.

Monta8

[44]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    Mikes Scene in the Finale

it wouldve been ill if the kid that walked in when he opened the door was Randy instead of some random noone....

simon slipped up on that one....wouldve made the scene 10 times better

Someone bring that up in a different forum. I gotta agree with him. With Randy toughing up and Michael defending him in season four when Marlo put out the word he's a snitch would have made sense.
    Edited on 03/11/2008 11:18am

Plonked

[45]Mar 11, 2008

I was thinking last night and I have watched all 5 seasons in 8 months, I dont know how you guys could stand to wait for each new season to start. I know that I was going nuts when I had to wait this final serason to start.

I am glad that I have no un answered questions with the ending of this show. I has all been summed up for me. Byt I know when another show that I watch ends (Lost) there will be a long list of questions.

So.... what are we all going to do now that The Wire has ended.

lawgotham

[46]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 13

Week to week was tough but season to season was tougher...you just can't wait when a show is as good as this one.

I'll tell you though...I have HBO on demand and I never watched the show ahead of time.

Jemadari

[48]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    I thought it all summed up perfectly and I loved the montage but one thing I would like to have seen is them show Marlo at a business meeting or playing golf ect.

Monta8

[49]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    Jemadari wrote:
    I thought it all summed up perfectly and I loved the montage but one thing I would like to have seen is them show Marlo at a business meeting or playing golf ect.
    Yeah, him playing golf with them rich people with of been a nice touch. In season three he had gold clubs swinging on the block.
    Edited on 03/12/2008 11:35am
    Edited 2 total times.

Sanifus

[50]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    E_Queen wrote:

McNulty- He always felt that there was a method to his madness and he proved it was. And by not falling into another reason for doing it the way Rawls wanted him to was cool. Always liked him now I remember why.

Not only that, he finally got rid of his rage and looked as content as he has been ever. Even more content than he was in season four. He was never happy as homicide police, never really happy as police. But his final line, the final line of the show really gave out how far he'd come. How content he was. Maybe now he can do right by Beadie and his kids, cause if he carried on as a cop he wouldn't of made it.

I guess lying and breaking the rules gave him a chance at a new life. Another way in which his actions mirror Templeton's, even if his motives were different.

snap1732

[51]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 3
    excellent paralells

LikeFineWine

[52]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    lawgotham wrote:

Week to week was tough but season to season was tougher...you just can't wait when a show is as good as this one.

I'll tell you though...I have HBO on demand and I never watched the show ahead of time.

I'm impressed. . . . .i never made it past the second day it was available on-demand!

LikeFineWine

[53]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 8

Monta8 wrote:
    Jemadari wrote:
    Yeah, him playing golf with them rich people with of been a nice touch. In season three he had gold clubs swinging on the block.

People, don't forget. . . .I definitely wont' because I was ROFLMAO. . .Prop Joe's comment about Marlo. . . .it's gon' be hard civilizing that boy

Wiseman2

[54]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 2

Just finished watching the season finale and wanted to say that as far as finales go I think we all knew that there were never really going to be any happy ever after endings to a show with this storyline.

McNulty - although there was a method to his madness, he got away very lightly considering the sick twisted s**t that he pulled and the run around that he put an entire city police department under. One thing that I was nt sure about was him and Beadie, did they make a go of it now that he is no longer a poleece and he is no longer battling his demons???

Daniels - its a shame that he could nt have continued as Commissioner. You have to believe that if Burrell and now Nerese did nt have any dirt on him, he would have had a chance to make a real imapct on trying to get a grip on crime the right way without duking the stats. As a lawyer he can never have that same sort of imapct.

Ronnie - surprised to see her on te bench, but then again she did cover Cacetti's ass when he needed it.

Carcetti - I genuinely think that when he was running for mayor he did have the citys best interest at heart. I think the longer he was in the game the more anyone gets sucked in to the filthy world of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". That episode where he jumps into bed with Clay Davis(his people on the liqor board) and Nerese agreeing to back him so log as he backs her. The look on his wifes face when he told her signalled a major change in the person he had become.

Carver - the only truly genuine guy that did nt compromise his principles at all (the new Bunny Colvin).

Colvin - also a genuinely honorable guy. Good to see that all his good work with the school paid off at least with Namond.

Omar - knew he was going to "gets got" even before it happened but it was still a shock especially because it was nt any of Marlo's people.

Marlo - truly a scary looking dude. Was hoping he would have caught a bullet.

Michael - as snoop said before he killed her, he was never really one of them. One guy who could have and should have had a "normal" life outside of drugs and killing.

Dukie - heartbreaking to see that needle in the end. Hopefully he can turn it arond like Bubbles.

Bubbles - throughout the entire bain that is the drugs trade, its reassuring to see that someone can pull themselves out of this mess and turn it around.

Glad to see Cheese get a bullet (even to avenge prop Joes murder and he was a loud mouthed ass). Good to see Bunk escaped unharmed by McNultys crap. Shame that a good cop like Lester despite his good intentions had to turn in his papers.

In conclusion, while this season may not have packed the same sort of punch as the other seasons did, I think that it was also a very necessary part of the story that had to be told. Whereas the other seasons were about the effects of what the drugs have on peoples lives and how the members of the public from the schools, the dock workers, the drug dealers and the ordinary rank and file members of the police department try to make some sense of it all, season 5 was an analysis of the people in authority who actually have the power to fix the situation - ok maybe not fix it but get some grip on whats going on; but instead we realise that they are as corrupt as the drug dealers that they should be putting behind bars. Overall, an exceptional piece of TV; in a word a Masterpiece.

Plonked

[55]Sep 10, 2008
    Reading your review only makes me miss The Wire even more.