The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Official Discussion Thread - "Clarifications" (S05E08) (Spoilers)

aaronmcc

[41]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 9

I absolutely love this show but was it really necessary to kick us all in the teeth with the death of Omar? Sure, real life sucks and people don't get closure but where is the long term drama in Omar dying pointlessly? I have been waiting for a Kris/Mike/Marlo show down with Omar for forever and now it's never gonna happen.It's so frustrating!

However, I just can't stop watching despite my displeasure. I spent the whole of last season shouting "Please don't die!" at the tv screen every time Bodie appeared. When he was popped by Mike I was so mad, but here I am still watching. It was awesome to see Poot again though. I got to give the writers props for that.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Don_Moltisanti

[42]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    aaronmcc wrote:

frustrating!

. I spent the whole of last season shouting "Please don't die!" at the tv screen every time Bodie appeared. When he was popped by Mike I was so mad, but here I am still watching.

A lot of people get this wrong but Mike did not kill Bodie, it was that5 big lipped Mutha O-Dog. Marlo told Chris to get Mike to do it but Chris told him Mike knew Bodie and his first kill should not be someone he knows.

domino87

[43]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    aaronmcc wrote:

I absolutely love this show but was it really necessary to kick us all in the teeth with the death of Omar? Sure, real life sucks and people don't get closure but where is the long term drama in Omar dying pointlessly? I have been waiting for a Kris/Mike/Marlo show down with Omar for forever and now it's never gonna happen.It's so frustrating!

However, I just can't stop watching despite my displeasure. I spent the whole of last season shouting "Please don't die!" at the tv screen every time Bodie appeared. When he was popped by Mike I was so mad, but here I am still watching. It was awesome to see Poot again though. I got to give the writers props for that.

Word. As Don said it wasn't Mike who killed Bodie, it was O-dog. The Omar death scene is pretty much hit or miss. You either like it or you don't. Much like the final scene of The Sopranos where many long time fans didn't like it because they wanted closure, while the other half of long time fans loved it. I think both scenes are pretty much saying the same thing. Life isn't like a movie most of the time. It's unexpected, unpredictable and spontaneous. There isn't straight up closure to every single thing. Even before this season started I knew Omar had to die, and I'm glad it wasn't Chris or Snoop who took him out. I think it was genius how the way he went out, but every one has their own opinion and I won't try to debate the subject any longer.

peekone

[44]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 45
    To everybody struggling to come to grips with Omar's death, listen to the song "Code of the Streets" by GangStarr off their album Hard To Earn from '94. It pretty much sums up the whole thing, and Guru's first verse came to mind pretty much straight away after watching the scene.

E_Queen

[45]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 10
    OMG...McNulty is the serial killer!!! LMAO. When they were giving the "serial killers" profile I was like McKnulyt, McKnulty yup MckNulty. He knew it to. His face was priceless. lol

jazzman111

[46]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 1
    Yes, that was priceless shot as the FBI agent basically "undressed" McNulty in giving the profile of the "serial killer". The follow up comment by the somewhat stunned McNulty, I thought, was hilarious: "Yeah, they pretty much nailed him." Or something to that effect.

jazzman111

[47]Sep 30, 2008
    I was taken by surprise, too, by Omar's death. He's apparently shot at random by what Marlo speculated was just some young hopper who wanted to see how a body falls after he pulls the trigger. There were a lot of loose ends. After shooting Omar, the kid drops the gun on the floor, hitman style. Why did he do that? Was he sent by somebody to hit Omar? And then the switching of name tages by the ME. Why did he do that? Did he just arbitrarily decide that the white man looked more like an Omar Lytle (I think that was the way it was spelled on the tag)? Or was it just some random act the explanation of which will forever elude us, as some things in life just do? I also was inclined to think that the writers gave that speech (lecture?) Beadie (?--McNulty's girlfriend) gives McNulty as a prelude to Omar's death. She points out to him that the people in the bars he hangs out in will barely remember his name after he dies. They won't come to his funeral, only his family will. Family is everything, everything else doesn't mean a thing to you, in the end. THat's the way of life and death for most people. And then, when Omar is randomly shot and his body suffers the final indignity of having his name randomly exchanged with a stranger in the morgue, Beadie's words are ruefully shown to be true. AS Marlo says with fury when he finds out Omar had been calling him out and challenging his name in the streets, "My name is my name!" In the end, Omar was deprived of even that. What an incredible show is The Wire.... Unequalled.

evan97531

[48]Jan 20, 2009
    Just passing through these forums. The Wire is an awesome show, probably the greatest. Just thought I'd clarify a few things. O-Dog does indeed kill Bodie, not Mike. Kenard likely killed Omar to make a name for himself, the killing was also foreshadowed about 4-5 scenes throughout the show involving Kenard. Also, to the post above me: it was a very confusing scene, probably had a lot of meaning and we can only speculate what it means. However, what you described was the exact opposite of what happened, so I thought I'd clarify. The medical examiner looked at the tag on the body bad, then opened it up and saw Omar. Knowing it was wrong, went over to the body bag next to Omar's and found Omar's tag on the body bag of an older white gentleman. The examiner apparently knew who Omar Little was and was amused at the mix-up, and switched them back. It seemed to be a little shout-out that Omar's name still rang out in Baltimore, even in the most unlikely places. So he has that going for him at least. How the medical examiner knew of Omar, I'm not really sure. Maybe he did autopsy work on some of Omar's victims, or something or just heard about him on the street or something. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
    Edited on 01/20/2009 3:36pm

Nanglerama

[49]Apr 27, 2009

Maybe a bit off topic but I am trying to post on here and haven't figured a way. Please see below for opportunity to ask Stringer Bell all of your questions.

Calling all "Wire" fans - Your chance to meet Stringer Bell

Are the streets of Baltimore as hazardous as the creators of "The Wire" suggest?

Is Stringer Bell a callous murderer or a highly proficient business man?

This is your chance to ask Idris Elba - AKA Stringer Bell - all your burning Wire-related questions.

Prince's Trust ambassador and star of hit series "The Wire", Idris Elba is hosting a Q&A to raise funds for disadvantaged young people on the evening of Tuesday 28 April 2009.

Idris will host the exclusive "Wire" Q&A at an intimate venue in central London, 9PM - 9.45PM. Tickets for the Q&A session are £20 each. This will be followed by a free screening of Idris's favourite episode.

Please contact The Prince's Trust Events Hotline on 020 7543 1389 to book tickets. Spaces are limited so we recommend reserving your ticket ASAP to avoid disappointment.

This Prince's Trust Q&A is part of our summer fundraising campaign, raising money for disadvantaged young people. Hold your own "theme night" around a favourite film or series and raise crucial donations for The Prince's Trust. See www.princes-trust.org.uk/getinvolved.