The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Official Discussion Thread - "Late Editions" (S05E09) (Spoilers)

nicmar19422

[21]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 7
    dadeisvenm wrote:

Sad. Almost Shakespearian.

I didn't want Dookie, Bug, Michael, or Snoop to go. It all feels vacant.

But heres the thing. How could Mc Nulty's thing be a bad thing. How is catching 16 million dollars of dope bad? The next and last episode is going to leave me so empty. No Sapranos.... No Rome.... No more Wire....

ho hum

McNulty's thing could go bad if Levey discovers exactly what happened the wire tap Freemon had up was illegeal and if that is discovered then all the evidence would be thrown out the only hope to keep Marlo in jail is if either the department can cover enough of it up to hold up in court or Lester can find enough dirt on Levey so he will not press too hard to get Marlo released

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Goodlivn20

[22]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 3

OK...im all better now. Snoop is gone and that's all i wanted for christmas.

Bubs seemed to be saying some heartfelt stuff but i FF'ed through it so im not sure. havent cared about his story since season 1-2

the newspaper editor is goin to take down the templeton and i dont care

Kima's asking another cop how it felt to rat out a fellow cop was good stuff i hafta admit as was Daniels and the lawyer babe reacting to the ringing cell phone in the evidence room.

i dont care what happens to Mcnulty . he has been mostly a bit player IMO this season so as his ruse and life unravels i dont care much. sad too cuz he was one of my favorite characters just a couple seasons ago. i like Lester still and he will take some heat. perhaps the bust will soften his punishment. besides it was a department wide deception..how far do they really want to go to punish people. let Mcnulty fall on his sword and squash the damn thing

they added lester's convo with the senator for a reason and it will likely be to counter any defense Levy tries to mount for Marlo based on illegal wires. the ep.10 promo shows Marlo on the street so if that isnt a flashback or something Levy will work some kind of magic. i dont think Marlo will survive though. he killed 2 council members, lost millions in dope and will likely now bring heat on the greeks since their people got picked up too

The greeks wont trust Marlo anymore but since they need to have someone move their stuff they will end their "exclusive' deal with Marlo probably and setup with another council member. once Marlo aint got the "connect" no more he is a marked man

cant see how Mike is gonna prevail here. he's got no network of thugs to protect and shield him. maybe he will show up at Chris' hearing and get some cop protection. making him the new gun-toting super-Omar who can take on whole cities of drug dealers and survive to tell the tale would be really corny but if they did it for Omar......

iakins77

[23]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 2

I'm just amazed at how they're managing to tie everything up from all four seasons in this one! I'm wondering if Shardene (D'Angelo's/ Stringer's girl) will make an appearance, or D'Angelo's mother maybe. I mean, she's gotta show up at least once right!? I love the way Clay Davis made refence to how they milked Stringer dry in his convo with Freeman. They are leaving no stone unturned I tell you! So Snoop went out as hard as she came in, I know Mike was gonna do her as soon as she told him about the job and he gave her that funny look. I'll never forget how she rolled up on Poot and Bodie's corner on the back of the motorcycle and lit them cats up! That's the closest we saw her to looking like a female in the whole show! Good luck with the rest of your acting career Snoop, i can't waith to see your first movie role.

You know levy is going to figure out some way to get Marlo off on a technicality, but at this point I think the damage is done, the co-op cats are probably gonna be gunning for him, or at the very least the greek is going to have some serious questions. I've seen the rumors floating around about McNulty's fate, and at this point I wouldn't at all be surprised. Everything is coming unraveled, Kima snitched, Daniels and Pearlman are gonna drop the boom on him, Beadie is done, Bunk is done, Landsman has been done for a long time, and Rawls is just the icing on the cake. With his badge gone he has no real reason to go in, so I can see jimmy taking himself out.

nicmar19422

[24]Feb 26, 2008
    one quick thing Donnete was Dee's girl who went with Stringer later Shardean was the Stripper that Dee dated and ended up with Lester

iakins77

[25]Feb 26, 2008
    Yo, that's right! My bad, think the name just stuck in my head when Lester mentioned she's better be up when he got home!

B_C_

[26]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    Shakespearean! Yes indeed, and at one moment in particular: Snoop seemed to pull a reverse Lady Macbeth there at the end, reverting from the heartless villain we all know her to be to something almost ladylike (well that's a stretch, how about effeminately self-conscious?) when she asked Mike how her hair looked. Great scene. Not to mention Mike and Dukie's scene which will haunt many a Wire fan - myself included - for some time to come. I can't wait for a confrontation between Mike and Marlo.

rockin01

[28]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 16

Is it just me, or did the last two episodes just kick the entire season up to a whole new level? Maybe it has something to do with the impending end of the series, but I don't know if I've seen better episodes of The Wire, like, ever.

To summarize:

Thrilling scenes when the cops converge on the Stanfield gang...you could almost feel their exhilaration at finally rounding up the bad guys. Sydnor's leadership of the troops shows that he has developed into a top-of-the-line police. And you gotta love Lester's moment of triumph with Marlo, rubbing the clock thing in his face. Ditto Bunk's ear-to-ear grin at slappin the cuffs on Chris. By the way, how many legs DOES a tick have? Funny stuff.

Man, O-Dog REALLY doesn't want go go to jail, does he?. Levy's comment killed me: "Marlo runs a tighter ship". And Snoop is, as usual, hardcore to the bone, brooking no opposition to Marlo's dictates and showing no empathy for the hapless O-Dog.

Gus is SO gonna put the smackdown on the slimy Templeton. And it's soooo sweet that his manufactured comments from Narese and Daniels are coming back to haunt him...boy, these writers never drop a thread- all the pieces matter. But, this being the world of The Wire, the sleazeball could still end up with a Pulitzer. I'd love to see the hopes of the smug managing editors dashed, though- they are so amped up on their Great White Hope. Loved the scenes with Gus at Walter Reed.

Everything old is new again, as the Mayor demands stats and Steintorf basically orders Rawls and Daniels to go back to the old days of juking the numbers.

Marlo's meltdown in the holding cell was chilling- "My name IS my name!" And the terrified faces of his crew remind us just how volatile and scary he can be. It just makes me even more wistful, though: if they had only had the nerve to tell hotheaded Marlo what Omar was saying about him in the streets, we would have gotten the showdown I was waiting to see between the two; the showdown I feel Omar deserved (I know, I know - it's The Wire and that ain' t the way they do business, get over it. I'm trying.).

McNulty is finally starting to get his just desserts from all sides: Landsman- "There you sit like a genital wart". Kima- "F*** you. F*** Marlo". And Bunk just glares at him now. Freamon got what he wanted and is like, "Jimmy who?" Lol at "Shardene better be awake, too...cause I do believe Lester Freamon's in the mood for love".

The legends about Omar's demise have already begun. Hey, wait a minute...it WAS those boys from Pimlico that did him in, not Kenard (at least I like that story better). Yeah, that's it...that's the ticket!

Namond! Bunny! Deacon! Awwwwww...

Bubs! Still clean! Awwww... Damn, sis- cut him some slack, already.

Lol at Clay Davis to Lester- "You ain't nothin' but a shakedown artist". And we KNEW Levy had something to do with the courthouse leak.

Kima...I hate it that you're the one who snitched on McNulty. I still love ya, girl, but why did it have to be you?

Mike is one smart cookie...so is he going to be the new Omar, the new Chris or the new Marlo? Bye, Snoop...you look good, girl.

It's official: Herc is a pinhead. Way to spill the beans to Levy and everybody else about the real source of Lester's information. The case against Marlo is sure to take a hit now.

Like so many others, the scenes where Dukie, Michael and Bug say their goodbyes really busted me up. And Dukie becoming a drug addict? Please, Mr. Simon, leave my Dukie alone. I WILL hunt you down...

kareeb

[30]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    Vincent2013 wrote:
    Snoop was a real G straight to the end, the episode was very, very good, Marlo really dont like his rep to be diminished, the scene with him in the holding cell really scared the crap out of me beacause he is usually so calm, and something happens in the next episode that I seen on the preview. Marlo has a suite on and ends up fighting someone.

i was wondering about that too...i mean for Marlo to be "that dude" and everything, he sure cares a lot about what people say about him....it's odd
    another thing that i think will happen is the person that Marlo throws a punch at looks to be Mike....it would be fitting since Mike took Snoop out

nicmar19422

[31]Feb 29, 2008
    just so everyone knows tv guide has confirmed that the last episode will not go up on demand early

Don_Moltisanti

[32]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 12
    AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! No way, are you kidding. You mean we have to wait til next Sunday to see the episode, well monday for me seeing as how im in the UK.

h4l0guy

[33]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 1

I just started watching this season, and its amazing. Well, last year i started watching the first season, but ths show was too depressing for me. I started watching this season, and its better than the first seasons horrible locals, in taht they arent shown as often. I will probably go back and watch the last 4 seasons, there is a lot im not getting, like what the hell just happened with mike and his lanky friend.

I will say this, though. Kia (or whatever her name is) is the dunbest **** detecitve ever. If she is so mad about wasting money and cops, think about it this way. If you tell, all that has alreayd happened has been wasted, mcnulty is gonna lose his job, and marlo is going to go free due to an illegal wiretap. She is so **** stupid. Why the hell would you tell after realizing this???

nicmar19422

[34]Mar 2, 2008
    Yeah it looks that way all I can say is enjoy this episode in captures everything great about the series from what I hear the series finale will leave many loyal fans quite angry

lawgotham

[35]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 13
    There is not a bad performance in this episode. We see for everyone it's all business.

Plonked

[36]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 16

Only one to go, I dont want to watch the next episode because then it will become reality to me that there is no more of The Wire.

Was funny to hear the rumors going around of who killed Omar.

whatever6384657

[37]Mar 4, 2008
    kareeb wrote:

this is kind of corny, but I really must admit that I did shed a tear when Bug split...then Dukie and Michael split ways as well....man oh man was this a good episode

the one thing I can't understand is why Kima would betray everyone and the hard work they did to bring this case to a close. she was getting her cases taken care of, everyone was eating and getting paid, and good cop work was being done. she's a snitch and no longer has my respect.

i hope that templeton is discovered for the phony that he is.

as far as the whole thing with mcnulty, i hope the spoilers that I've read aren't true and he just gets fired or something like that.

snoop deserved what she got to....what did she say "deserve ain't got nuthin to do with it"....mike was so perceptive about that whole thing....he is and probably will be the new "man"

overall one of the best episodes ever!!!!

It is amazing that you hate Templeton yet love McNulty. They are the same character. They will do anything to get themselves ahead.

shsteve

[38]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 15

McNulty has no intention of getting ahead. He's quite happy being a lowly detective who vents it out on middle management authority. As long as he thinks he makes positive changes by pulling tricks, he's done his job.

Templeton just wants recognition and fame, but gave up on doing it the hard way long ago. He also has ideas well above his station. Ultimately, he's a hack but doesn't see it (until that interview he has). McNulty knows he'll never be anything more, but he's actually good at what he does.

They share a common goal with the way they use people and 'cook the books', but they're definately two different characters.

E_Queen

[39]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 10

Ok so I try to be mad at Cheese...but Method Man is just sooo sexy. Sorry that is just the Queen in me Anyway, dude was too funny "I still gotta take that charge for yall." LMAO.

I knew that dude was hating on Michael from the beginning. I am glad that Chris stuck up for Michael but its not enough anymore. I have a string feeling that the same thing that happened to Michael happened to Chris (If that hasn't been explained already.)

I want to feel sorry McKnulty because he just wanted to help his people out...but he was out of his dirty ways and chose to go back. Hell Bunk wanted Marlo, Chris and Snoop just as bad, but he didn't stoop to that level.

Awww Namond. That's all I can say. I really wish that was Micheal though. Just my own personal feelings. Na really had so much except for good guidance, I guess that means more...anyway.

I love Michael and I know he is the way he is but I think he was forced into that way of life. He is too smart for the game. He is smarter than Snoop and she should have known that!

I just don't trust Hurc.

LOL at Clay singing...I knew it was the Lawyer. And I still don't trust Hurc.

Newspaper part...BBBOOOOORRRIIINNNNGGGG!

BTW...did I mention I don't trust Hurc?

Awwwww Bubbles...I am so happy for him...the victory of the show!

Kima...I'm not sure yet...I guess you do what you have to do in the situation.

Love Michael..."You look good girl."

I knew it was a reason I didn't trust Hurc.

Sorry commenting as I am watching. lol

Ok now my heart is breaking for Michael, Bug and Dukie. Ok I cried like I did when they killed Wallace...yes Wallace. Its the girl in me. lol. I really wished their situation woulda turned out different. But this is The Wire. Ohhh my heart is breaking!!!!!! As far as I am concerned this could be my finale. So I wouldn't have to learn their final fate. lol.