The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

One minor quibble about this show

PikeBishop

[1]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 31

Currently watching Season 3 on Direct TV and one thing kind of bugs me, and its one of my complaints about Mad Men as well.

My God, does every living, breathing thing with two legs and a vagina have this insatiable urge to "do" McNulty?

Powerful, attractive woman comes up to him out of the blue at his kids school fundraiser, cut to hotel room

Officer Beatrice in season 2 would have jumped at the chance.

I actually think Keemah considered it, when they were on the road chasing the cell phones in Season 3.

Perhaps the most unbelievable one. Cute little twenty-something diner waitress at 2AM and she can't wait to go home with a sloppy, forty-something dude who is so drunk he can't even sit up straight.

This kind of weak writing and character development just irk me in this fine show. Yeah, he's decent looking, but James Freaking Bond, he aint! Cool

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DebraMcClure

[2]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 17

[QUOTE="PikeBishop"]

Currently watching Season 3 on Direct TV and one thing kind of bugs me, and its one of my complaints about Mad Men as well.

My God, does every living, breathing thing with two legs and a vagina have this insatiable urge to "do" McNulty?

Powerful, attractive woman comes up to him out of the blue at his kids school fundraiser, cut to hotel room

Officer Beatrice in season 2 would have jumped at the chance.

I actually think Keemah considered it, when they were on the road chasing the cell phones in Season 3.

Perhaps the most unbelievable one. Cute little twenty-something diner waitress at 2AM and she can't wait to go home with a sloppy, forty-something dude who is so drunk he can't even sit up straight.

This kind of weak writing and character development just irk me in this fine show. Yeah, he's decent looking, but James Freaking Bond, he aint! Cool

If this is the thing that really bothers you while watching The Wire, you're really kinda missing the point. Perhaps you should stop at Season 3.

dh4645

[3]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 15
    i kind of agree, but as stated, this isnt the point of the show. i guess it's just to get in some nudity???

i just started watching last month and am up to season 3.

the only chick i wanted to see more nudity of is the nephews wife from season 2. she had a nice rack. no other chicks on the show have been attractive.

my only issue with the show is...since i am watching now...all the "cool" tech they are all impressed with is old news to us in 2011. but that's my fault for not watching it sooner. ha

jaredowty

[4]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 2
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the occasional gratuitous nudity on this show...not as bad as other premium cable fare, but it's still annoying. McNulty's impeccable luck with the ladies is a little overly-emphasized, but it seems to be mostly for comedic purposes. Hank Moody from Californication reminds me a bit of McNulty, actually.

Six Feet Under is the only show I've seen where the sex scenes actually mean something, and are meant purely for character development and NOT meant to get you off...

catwoman77

[5]Dec 25, 2011
    • level: 9

I think the sex scenes ARE for character development, especially McNulty's. He's depicted as a cheating skirt chaser, which is why his wife left him (amongst other reasons). His sex scenes with Ronnie Pearlman (the lawyer) also show his cavalier attitude to relationships, as well as showing her desperation in tolerating him. Later on, his alcoholism increases his recklessness and he goes on to cheat on Beadie. She also tolerates him. These are flawed characters. All this to say that his character is unstable despite his being a smart detective. I did find the actor, Dominic West, to be very attractive and sexy (one of the highlights of watching this amazing show).