The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Please Read

peekone

[1]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 45

ATTENTION:

Okay, normally I wouldn't really care, but because there isn't an extroidinary number of people who vote, or give a rating to episodes, one low abysmal rating can have quite an impact on the episodes average score.

Now, here's the problem: a number of inconsiderate fools, who obviously have no appreciation for the sheer genius and amount of detail behind The Wire have gone to pretty much every episode of the series, and given them a flat 1.0 which, for a number of episodes, throws the system out of order. Personally, this is the only drama in the history of television that I would give a 'Perfect' (I say drama because we all know that Seinfeld was perfect). There is no fault in it whatsoever, try as you might, you will not find it. This show is critically acclaimed, has won a tonne of awards, however because it is not as accessible as say Lost (who gets thousands of perfects for the show and episodes), not a lot of people vote for it. Also, there is more people tracking this show than there are show votes!

So, if you are reading this and are a fan of the show, I urge you, if haven't already done so, to go and give the episodes AND the actual show a rating that it truly deserves.

Thanks.

And thanks to 'niptuckSean' with his thread that brought this to my attention.

Edited on 06/04/2007 9:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarcusAKAFatima

[2]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 5
    I was just going to post a thread titled something like "Who the hell is giving episodes 1.0 votes!?" It sucks to see such a brilliant show has so few episodes under a 9 average. I just finished season 1, but I already know it is a perfect show. However, I was one of people who gives a lot of Lost episodes perfect ratings. I wouldn't give every episode a 10 rating for this series, but there is nothing that should be under a 9. No way possible.

niptuckSean

[3]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 13
    Very well said! Sadly though, there is probably no way for the scores to go back up, 1.0's massively effect the scores, especially when the episodes only get like 50 votes per. Like you said it's not like there are thousands of people that vote for this show. I was really peeved that day, especially since it was an organized thing by 3 guys (or one guy who made three accounts which is even more pathetic...).
    Edited on 06/06/2007 1:02pm

peekone

[4]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 45
    niptuckSean wrote:
    Very well said! Sadly though, there is probably no way for the scores to go back up, 1.0's massively effect the scores, especially when the episodes only get like 50 votes per. Like you said it's not like there are thousands of people that vote for this show. I was really peeved that day, especially since it was an organized thing by 3 guys (or one guy who made three accounts which is even more pathetic...).

happened to another great show I edit called Moral Orel. I did a thread over there too but there isn't much of a community. And there is only about 5 votes for episodes so a blatant 1.0 rating on an ep that has a 9.2 will bring it down to about 7.4

niptuckSean

[5]Jun 14, 2007
    People are starting to give 1.0's to every episode of The Sopranos as well. This is just sad.

tramsit

[6]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 6
    Damn fools, I thought it was just a hood show, then I watched the second season and relised it was alot more. In the middle of season 4, and it is a damn good show! Aite. Sopranos good show too, sad to see them both ending up.

Light-Speed

[7]Jun 24, 2007
    • level: 4

In no way is a 1 justified for this show.

That being said, there are WAY too many people that toss around perfect 10's on this site too. It's to bad no one really moderates the rating system. These extremes really screw it up on shows where not a lot of people vote.

LordJaguar

[8]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 7
    Some people aren't going to like this show. But still I don't think they hit 1's. Maybe 6 or 7 for some of the lesser episodes. I can see 1's for Moral Orel however.

Deadeye402

[9]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't rated any episodes. I'll dish out a few 10's

kelley0528

[10]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 14
    Off the put in my '10 cents worth' too. Trolls..grrr

whatever6384657

[11]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 2
    I'm a huge fan of the show and if I knew where to vote I would give it the highest ranking. I want to understand why you care so much about its ranking. If you think the show is great then that is all you have to think about. Who cares if other people like or even see the show. I don't care if all my friends watch this show or not. All I care is that I enjoy the show. I'm not in charge of marketing, that is HBO's job.

niptuckSean

[12]Aug 9, 2007
    whatever6384657 wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of the show and if I knew where to vote I would give it the highest ranking. I want to understand why you care so much about its ranking. If you think the show is great then that is all you have to think about. Who cares if other people like or even see the show. I don't care if all my friends watch this show or not. All I care is that I enjoy the show. I'm not in charge of marketing, that is HBO's job.

Then why have ratings at all on the site? It's not a major thing but it is certainly annoying when a show gets a score it doesn't deserve, especially in this case where 1 or 3 people went and gave every episode the lowest ranking overnight.

kingerique

[13]Aug 24, 2007

If it was as blatant as 3 people dishing out ones to every episode in one night, can these votes not just be discounted. I am not saying we should discount every review we disagree with, but if these3 guys were trying to sabotage the ratings it doesnt seem like they used a whole lot of intelligence ans subtletyto do it.

And to the guy who said that too many 10s were being dished out for the wire, it is like the greatest tv series of all time. If the wire doesnt deserve a 10 then nothing does.

aakeemz

[14]Aug 24, 2007
    It gets a 10 in my book. Almost every character is someoneyou can relate to.
    Edited on 08/24/2007 11:44am

niptuckSean

[15]Nov 11, 2007
    The worst part about it isn't even that the ratings were given. It's that they gave different amounts to different episodes. Some episodes were given 1, some 2, some 3, some 4 and some 5 abysmals. It threw the whole series' ratings into disproportion, rendering them useless.

opark_77

[16]Dec 8, 2007
    I've been through and rated all episodes. Very hyped about S5.

Schillinger

[17]Dec 20, 2007

Well, I think the ratings on this site are actually a very accurate reflection of what people actually think of the show.
    The Wire gets abysmal ratings compared to other, clearly inferiorshows. That's reflected here - 1400 votes for The Wire, 32000 for Lost. For the people who have seen every episode and understand it, it gets a perfect rating. For people who only tuned in once or twice and got confused and frustrated, it gets a 1. That's their opinion. Of course it's wrong, but an opinion nonetheless.
    The Wire is simply a far too sophisticated show for Americans, as David Simon himself said.

Deadeye402

[18]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 11
    aakeemz wrote:
    It gets a 10 in my book. Almost every character is someoneyou can relate to.

You can relate to heroin addicts and drug kingpins? Interesting...

Well, I don't know if I can relate to a lot of these characters, but they're sure fun to watch.

nickity7

[19]Mar 25, 2008
    i cant believe people are complaining about a shows tv.com score its tv.com not time magazine you people need to get a life