The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Which is your favorite season? Which season is the best one?

cooncesean

[1]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 24
    I'm a new viewer and I want to get into this show -- how would you rate each season?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NooneNumbers

[2]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    Season 1 is probably my favourite, but all three of them are fantastic.

cdawg1987

[3]Sep 4, 2006
    i would have to say the best season to me was the thrd season i think he show gets better by season so we'll see how the fourth season treats its long runing success.

motlymaaw

[4]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 6
    Season 1 is definitely my favourite as well..though i have not finished the third yer and it is looking very good
    you should start with first though forsure because you have to get used to and love mcnulty...to understand a little of what happens in the second season. i guess as well as all the stuff with stringer bell and....so on
    just check it out, it is one of the greatest ever!

RoxieVelma

[5]Sep 6, 2006
    • level: 60
    My ranking:

1. Season 1 (quite possibly the best 13 hours of TV I've ever seen. I've probably watched each of those episodes 15 times or more and can never get enough of them.)

2. Season 3 (basically it's a continuation of Season 1 although you need to know someone died in Season 2 which gets the ball rolling for what happens at the end of Season 3)

3. Season 2 (I didn't dislike it, but the whole Greek storyline kind of got boring after a while because you knew where it was going at the end. Although, McNulty with the prostitutes was one of my favorite scenes of the series so far, especially when he had to come up with an excuse for the police records and his "girlfriend" read it.)

So far, Season 4 is more entertaining to me than the beginning of Season 2 was. Oh and for anyone who wants to know, you don't really have to have seen Season 2 to understand Season 3, but after seeing just one episode of Season 4. It helps to have seen at least the last 3 episodes of Season 3 to fully understand everything that's going on.

Akritt

[6]Sep 11, 2006

Seasons Three and One are tied on my list of best seasons; this isn't saying Season Two is bad, just that it takes longer to start up than the others. For a new viewer I'd go with Season One to start off. Season Three builds upon the foundations made during the first two seasons; Season Two has some real emotional yanks that a viewer who missed the first season would shrug off.

EnterTheTekken

[7]Sep 12, 2006
    • level: 9
    Season 3 by a mile.  It took all the elements of both seasons and molded them into one.  The drugs, the case, the docks, the politics, the street power struggle.  It all came to a head in that masterful season.

scatteredshadow

[8]Sep 14, 2006
    I'll have to cast my vote for season 3.

All three are truly excellent, but I think season three just combined everything that was great about the first two seasons in one seamless package. It was as close as I think television has come to presenting a story with the depth of a top level novel. At least without being based on a novel.

joshjr

[9]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 12
    Season 3 was the best so far. But season 1 was right behind it. I liked season 2 as well but it was not as good as 3 or 1. Still this is one of the best shows on today.

Jemadari

[10]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 12
    Gotta say season 3 then 1, well 2 was somewhat of a disappointment but still ok but after seeing 2 episodes of season 4 I may change my view of 3

judgenxcutioner

[11]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    Gotta love that 1st season...the introduction/origin of all the major players, some of the best detective and police work going on and emotional highs and lows all happened in that 1st season. All though this season is shaping up to be on par with that one---I can't wait till Bodie starts taking on Marlo. It seems Bodie is outgunned and outmuscled but hey he's part of the old power and you know you gots to root for the underdog.

Gabarga

[12]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 7
    My personal favourites are seasons 1 and 3. Season 2 is great too but the whole dock-plot just isn't as intriguing as 1 and 3s focus on the drugs and the corners.

Deadeye402

[13]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 11
    Definately season 1. It has a direction right from the get-go, while the other seasons, especially 3 and 4, kinda meander around, looking for a major plotline to follow for a while, whereas in season 1, right from the beginning you know they're going after Avon and his crew. It also has the best "villains (if you can call them that)" in Avon and String (they weren't as good in 3 in that Avon was too reckless and String was too careful. They had a perfect balance in season 1). That, and we had D'Angelo Barksdale, as well. He was one cool cat.

Giant_Chicken

[14]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 21

Season 3- I loved the Stringer story line and the drug free zone.  This season felt like a conclusion to season 1.

Season 1 - The season that started it all.

Season 2 - Did not like some aspects of this season but I did like all of the port/water scenes. 

Season 4 - Can't say until I have watched the whole season.  I have seen the first 3 episodes and really like the direction it is going.  The wire unit is so different now but I do not feel that it is bad.

Caniece

[15]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 2

I like season one...season two started off to slow...but shaped up towards the end....but SEASON 3 is definitely my favorite. You got Stringer who sets up Brother Mouzone behind Barksdale back. When Barksdale get out its a war between his crew and Marlo's crew. Then Barksdale and Stringer no longer sees eye to eye on the way business is handled. Stringer confesses to Barksdale about killing his nep. Dee...Omar goes to shoot Bro. Mouzone only to relize that Stringer lied to him, so he lets him live. Omar Home girl gets killed while robbing a Barksdale stash house. And then the take a shot at Omar while he taking his Grandmother to church on a Sunday morning. Upset at how Barksdale handling business Stringer sets him up...meanwhile Barksdale sells Stringer out to be killed by Bro. Mouzone and Omar who both want revenge.

I swear that season had it all. Corrupt polticians, Police, and of course your gangsta story. Best Season ever!

Season 4 is pretty good so far...I just gotta keep watching.

judgenxcutioner

[16]Oct 25, 2006
    OOps looks like the Marlo/Bodie war was a dud...I hate overthinking sneak peeks!!!

hmitauer

[18]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 3
    As a new fan of TW, I am in awe of the writing, casting and acting. I had to start from the first season and work my way to the third. I am stuck waiting for the discs I need, in the order I want to watch them. Actually, I had become so diehard that I will watch a chapter out of sequence for Jonesin' for the show. I have favorites and think all are good. My son worked in NY with the actor who plays "Omar. He is my favorite character on the show. This season, with Prez as a teacher and with Bunny Colvin is the best one so far. I teach in Philly and there is no doubt this season, with the storyline on education reform, as an issue that is strong. The writers are getting close to seeing the real problems and showing them to "cable watching middle class america" and waking some of them and exposing how our city children learn their ABC;s, abandonment, brutality and careening through the cracks.

canada4life

[19]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 3
    I'm going to have to agree with most of the posters that seasons 1 and 3 are the best. Season 2 is great but it is a bit of an island in of itself. It does, however, effective showcase another subset of society that is sufferring under the current political system and doing what they have to do to get by. Just a word, I have seen all of season 4 and it is also fantastic. It even provides a rare glimmer of hope.

othertrin

[20]Nov 20, 2006

My favourite is the first s., and I liked the 3rd because of Avon and Stringer.

Can anyone tell me if Avon will appear in the 4th or 5th season? Without him I can't imagine The Wire show...