The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Who wishes "The Wire" would go on to a 6th Season?"

_Wired_

[1]Jan 11, 2007
    • level: 1

I understand that "The Wire" is written around a 5-season slope.  I, personally, would like to see it keep going for another 5 Seasons.  EVENTUALLY THE WHOLE WORLD WILL CATCH ON!!!

WHO'S WITH ME???

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Deadeye402

[2]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    No. I'd rather see a conclusion than a drawn out story that slowly degrades in quality.

Angel2525

[3]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 7
    I agree, so many other good shows have been stretched out so long that they began to. . .  suck

peekone

[4]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 45
    of course, but if the material isn't good enough...
    Simon had said that an interesting theme for a 6th season would be the large intake of latin-american people coming into baltimore, but none of the writing staff are latin and have little knowledge of the latins in baltimore, so the research would be too cumbersome.

charlesd81

[5]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 3
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 6th season as long as they stay with the drug gangs. I would however, like the show to end on top and if that means ending at season 5 then so be it.

NYCPrincess

[6]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 1
    I also wouldn't mind the wire dishing out another season. I think a season 6 would be hot only if it's done right.

maxkkoik

[7]Apr 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    Tht would be great but i realy want this show to have a great ending not a half done season with no reasearch because the people making this show said that a latino oriented season is an option but tht they do not have enough reasearch.

martineden

[8]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    Season 4 was amazing. Truly well drawn characters and an inspiring story line. I look forward towards season 5 since both 3 and 4 was better than season 2. The season about the docks felt a bit misplaced. You could tell the storywriters had a tough time connecting the environment to the characters.

But the casting is awesome. I cannot understand why Hollywood producers havn't picked up the actors such as J.D. Williams, Jamie Hector, Robert F. Chew and Anwan Glover more.

The only somewhat misplaced character is that Brother Mouzone. That character felt a bit like something from a Marvel comic.

DonMoltisanti

[9]May 24, 2007
    agreed, felt the omar character was also a little too cartoon-ish, there's always these lame excuses to why they can't just put a bullet inn his ass.. anyway I could definitely see at least two more seasons of the wire, a latino based season would be dope as hell.

AndreasLuc

[10]Jun 21, 2007
    No, I love this series more then any other TV-show, but I don't want them to draw it out. If they have a plan for a last, fifth season then that is what they should do. Also, with a latino-season I feel it would be a bit to many storylines, and they probaly would have to cut away msot of the westsiders... And that would feel wrong....

Don_Moltisanti

[11]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 12

I would like to see a 6th season,. Even if they finish up the media point in this season. The 6th season could just be an all out war on the streets and trying to stop it. Avon back, teaming up with Mouzone and Slim Charles, Prop Joe and take out Marlo.

Still cant believe that Stringer gave the safe house location to Colvin, they owuld have blown Marlo away. Still hate that bot of the show.

Or they could finish season 5 and then restart the show from the last episode of season 3, make sure Marlo gets blown away by Avon and the rest of the Barksdales and take it from there, wioth Avon getting all the legit money and then bolting with Millions of dollars with the rest of the crew never to be seen again, maybe in the carribean or something, lol. McNulty and them standing in a empty warehouse at the end with nobody there to arrest, there all sunning it up. LMAO.

bob_notcher

[12]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 2
    This show's great appeal is that I believe it reflects real life on the streets and in the ghettos. There could always be a new storyline but I think the quality would suffer. I hope that this genre is repeated and that any new show is as good.

superwirefan91

[13]Jan 2, 2008
    • level: 2
    I so bad want the wire to keep going for a couple more season's, i understand that david simon has told everything he could about the wire and the story he wanted to tell but if the ratings are great and people love it keep it going. Like season 1 was about the drug game, season 2 was about the port, season 3 was about reformation in baltimore city, season 4 was about education, and season 5 about the media. He said that why he's ending it because he said everything he wanted to say about what's going on in the city,and it feels like a good time to end it and find another story for another show. But he and everyone else knows the will never find another show as good as the wire NEVER! all the season's were good but it really just started getting the bomb when the fourth season started, and everyone just started getting used to Namond, Michael, Randy and Duquan.all the other good characters were on the show for a while but they just started it's not fair to me, but there's not anything anyone can do about it but just enjoy the season's they already made.
    Edited on 01/02/2008 4:11pm

domino87

[14]Jan 2, 2008
    • level: 10

I would love a 6th season but right now it doesnt seem likely. I'm hoping maybe a few years down the road David Simon and companywill be bored with there other projects, and will think of a good theme for a 6th season. But the odds for that are pretty slim. But hey lets face it, 5 seasons for a HBO Drama isVERY good. Too many great shows have already been killed by this network before there time (Deadwood, Carnivale, Rome). Be thankful The Wire got to tell its full story.

If you guys are still hungry for "The Wire" like stories I highly highly recommend the novels of George Pelecanos. He is a producer on The Wire, and his books that I've read so far are so similar to The Wire, it's unbelievable. Great characters, similar pacing, and he has the ability to make you laugh, be thoroughly entertained, and then break your heart all on the same page. Truly great stuff. All my friends that like The Wire, absolutelylove his novels. After I finish reading all his books I'm going to move on to Dennis Lehane and Richard Price's stuff. All have written episodes for the show and are fairly prominent authors.

Plonked

[15]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 16
    Oh I will definatly will miss this show when it finishes. I think I will have to buy the whoe series to give myself a fix when I need it, which I am sure will be lots. It would be nice to see more but its been said, the story has been told and thats it. Its better to finish on a high then to finish when we all complain and none of us are appreciate the show anymore.

Sanifus

[16]Jan 3, 2008
    I feel the answer is simple. I'd love to see another season after this one, but only if there are no compromises taken in quality. This show is the best show in modern times for a damn good reason.
    Edited on 01/03/2008 12:41pm

lawgotham

[17]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 13
    I want any great show to go on forever. But...perhaps it is best to go out on top while still remaining creatively intelligent.

DygitalNinja

[18]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 11
    Deadeye402 wrote:
    No. I'd rather see a conclusion than a drawn out story that slowly degrades in quality.

I'm right with this guy...its the main reason shows on HBO/Cinemax ect are so much more consistent than network television...there isn't a 22 episode a year mandate and shows usually end on the creaters terms

slightly off-topic: Even though I his own show has dragged at times Lindenoff (one of the creaters of LOST) made a good point once when he said how much it sucks when you have to say a certain show was great "BUT" ...you know the X-files was great BUT then there are the post Mulder years or '24' was great BUT Season 6 was an utter joke

domino87

[19]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 10
    DygitalNinja wrote:
    Deadeye402 wrote:

I'm right with this guy...its the main reason shows on HBO/Cinemax ect are so much more consistent than network television...there isn't a 22 episode a year mandate and shows usually end on the creaters terms

slightly off-topic: Even though I his own show has dragged at times Lindenoff (one of the creaters of LOST) made a good point once when he said how much it sucks when you have to say a certain show was great "BUT" ...you know the X-files was great BUT then there are the post Mulder years or '24' was great BUT Season 6 was an utter joke

Yeah a lot of that is because network television is more about making money then making a great product. Thats the reason networks force most of there shows to be 22-24 episodes a year, so they can sell the most commercial time they can. Thats also the reason, aside from Heroes and Lost, I don't watch network television dramas. Atleast with comedies they are only a half hour and work better in the 22-24 episode format. Although its not a great time for comedies right now besides The Office and 30 Rock.

A lot of good/great shows go past there prime because the networks are making so much money from them, they refuse to cancel them. This doesnt happen too much on HBO, but it did with The Sopranos. David Chase was ready to wrap it up, but HBO wanted more because it was there biggest show in a long time. So he had to come up with episodes on the fly(S6 part 1) and they werent that great. After that HBO finally realized it was time to go and luckily the second half of that season redeemed itself.

But yeah 5 seasons of The Wire was great and of course I would like more, but David Simon always envisioned it as a 60-hour movie and guess what? We were lucky enough to get 60 episodes of the greatest show ever created. Once again I want to recommend the novels of George Pelecanos, a writer/producer on the show. Best books I've read in a long time and crazy similar to The Wire.

opark_77

[20]Jan 9, 2008

I have to agree with the majority here - I'd rather see it end on a high than go into a steady and drawn out decline. I'm happy the writers are sticking with their vision of a fifth season. I'm amazed how often that part I put in the wiki article about a potential sixth season gets quoted on message boards!

I also strongly agree with Domino re: George Pelecanos. Closest thing to The Wire in book form. I'd also recommend David Simon's two books The Corner and Homicide and the TV shows that followed them. I've read most of Lehane (not finished Mystic River or got hold of Shutter Island yet) and hes good but a bit more different to the show than Pelecanos. I'll be checking out Price next.