The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Who wishes "The Wire" would go on to a 6th Season?"

AG19

[21]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 9

Honestly, I really never understood about that whole tarnishing the show's rep thing. I remember having a similiar discussion in The Shield fourm for that show's ending run.

At the end of the day, once a show is over, and it's over. And there's only a certain amount of DVD re-runs you can watch before the show gets stale. Why not pump everything the show has out, and if the quality does end up suffering a bit, at least you gave it a shot.

Everyone seems to be more or less agree that S6 P1 of the Sopranos wasn't on par with the early seasons, but does that mean you think less of the show when you think of The Sopranos? Wasn't the saying always "The Sopranos at it's worst episode is better than 90% of TV on it's best season"?

I'd love a 6th, 7th, 8th, and 100th season of The Wire.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

domino87

[22]Jan 9, 2008
    • level: 10
    AG19 wrote:

"The Sopranos at it's worst episode is better than 90% of TV on it's best season"?

I donno, watchin that S6 P1 was like watchin paint dry for me. And its not like I didnt like The Soprano's, I loved it. I know what you mean about shows goin on and not tarnishing their rep though. Its like Jordan comin back and playin for the Wizards, no one remembers that when they think of MJ, they think of him winning championships with Bulls. I would have rather seen him ride into the sunset after winning his last ring though, much like The Wire is doing after its 5th season. As much as I love The Wire and how much it changed my perception of what good TV should and can be, I think it's time. David Simon thinks it's time, so thats good enough for me. They've said their story and I'm looking forward to David Simon's Generation Kill, and his pilot New Orleans show, that hopefully gets the green light. Plus I dont know how many times I've watched each episode, but I still catch small parallels, symbolism, lines, etc. that I've never noticed, after watching episodes for the 5th+ time. The show is sooo dense you can always revisit old seasons on DVD.

AG19

[23]Jan 10, 2008
    I was being overdramatic when I said I didn't understand why people said that. I do understand, and I can sympathize with that idea. For me personally though, with so few things to watch on TV, and with The Wire AND The Shield both coming to an end I'd rather just see The Wire continue even if it does result in a slight dip in quality.

shsteve

[24]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 15

5 seasons are enough for me.

ButI still wish they connected Season 2 to the others a bit better. It was great that they went off in a completely new direction (while keeping all the familiar efforts) but when the series decided to go back and focus on the Barksdale saga, it made The Docks look like a companion piece rather than being cleverly intergrated (S3 seagues into S4 so well because of the setting and starting afresh). That said, it was a good season even if it was the weakest one.

I think they've taken every character as far as they can now (McNulty drinking again kind of signals it), they wrapped up the major storylines and now it's time for the epilogue. Which, if the slight spoiler Dominic West slipped out ina week long diary for an article in The Guardian is anything to go by,is a pretty depressing one...

Edited on 01/11/2008 7:35am

bigpuppax

[25]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    Please no. Kudos to HBO for letting artistic considerations guide the runs of their shows instead of trying to wring every last penny out of them. It's a large part of why their catalogue includes some of the finest television ever produced and why they seem to be the go-to network for brave and inventive programs.

AG19

[26]Jan 13, 2008

bigpuppax wrote:
    Please no. Kudos to HBO for letting artistic considerations guide the runs of their shows instead of trying to wring every last penny out of them. It's a large part of why their catalogue includes some of the finest television ever produced and why they seem to be the go-to network for brave and inventive programs.

Isn't HBO the same brand that urged Chase to make more and more seasons of The Sopranos just so they could collect on the dough?

Exit2DaCore

[27]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    AG19 wrote:

bigpuppax wrote:

Isn't HBO the same brand that urged Chase to make more and more seasons of The Sopranos just so they could collect on the dough?

Not to mention what they did to Carnivale.

Finchy70

[28]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 1

Just finished watching season 5 and it feels like one of the family has died.

The story telling in this show is top notch.

You really feel like you know them.

Lester is as clever as eggs, Jimmy's a looser but you love him, Bubbs is cool, Omar was a killer but not really that scarey, and Greggs is the sexiest lesbian I've ever seen.

Fingers crossed for an unlikely 6th Season.

KingofIPirates

[29]May 14, 2011
    • level: 32
    Deadeye402 wrote:
    No. I'd rather see a conclusion than a drawn out story that slowly degrades in quality.
    Indeed, it was slowly losing steam by the 5th season.

jaredowty

[30]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 2
    Honestly, after watching the entire series five-plus times, the fourth and fifth seasons feel a little tacked on. I've always felt that Season Four is the most unsatisfying and overrated of the seasons from the get-go, and nowadays I feel the same way about Season Five (although I still feel like it's better than Season Four and *slightly* underrated). McNulty's serial killer stunt wasn't nearly as unrealistic as people say...Hamsterdam is by far the least realistic part of the show, yet no one thinks enough about it to address this (I let Hamsterdam off the hook, though, considering how amazingly well-executed it was).

The last two seasons' main problem, for me, is this: The rise of Marlo really isn't all that compelling or believable. Marlo is a very bland, boring character compared to Avon, Stringer, and D'Angelo. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he got WAY too much screen-time, and the conclusion of his arc at the end of Season Five was not nearly as epic as what happened with the Barksdale organization. Snoop and Chris are also fairly boring, and their reign of terror in Season Four feels exaggerated and sensationalized.

Seasons Four and Five aren't as subtle in their social commentary as the previous seasons, and certainly aren't as complex or ironic either.

The first three are epic. Absolutely amazing. Sure, Season Two deviates a bit, but I found the story of the Sobotkas just as riveting, absorbing and relevant as any other aspect of the show, and it lined up the events for Season Three flawlessly. By the time Season Three comes along, it's just payoff after payoff after payoff.

Basically, as much as I love Seasons Four and Five, I wouldn't of been too sad if they would have ended it at three. The Season Three finale remains the single most satisfying episode of television I've ever witnessed.

And to answer the question of this topic....NO! There's a reason they didn't create a sixth season...they didn't feel like they knew any other world of the city well enough to tell another realistic and relevant story. They were going to do a season on the increasing Latino presence in Baltimore, but they felt too ignorant on the subject to tackle it. And ya know what? Good for them! They realized their limitations and they ended the show while it was still great (even if it wasn't as good as before).

eyerok

[31]Jan 25, 2012
    jaredowty wrote:

The last two seasons' main problem, for me, is this: The rise of Marlo really isn't all that compelling or believable. Marlo is a very bland, boring character compared to Avon, Stringer, and D'Angelo. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he got WAY too much screen-time, and the conclusion of his arc at the end of Season Five was not nearly as epic as what happened with the Barksdale organization. Snoop and Chris are also fairly boring, and their reign of terror in Season Four feels exaggerated and sensationalized.

completely disagree with everything that you said, except the part about Stringer and Avon crew being more interesting; even then I think the end to marlo arc was much much better executed then the ending to the barksdale-stringer story, which I think was a bit weak. Unlike most, my least favorite season is season 3, not season 2, though I loved all of them. Season 4 and 5 are I think the highest watermark for the show, and television in general. The last two seasons are the most complex and intelligent piece of live action television I have ever seen in my life, and they are, at least to me, completely flawless.

My ranking would be something like this: Season 4 > Season 5 > Season 1 > Season 2 > Season 3.

cyrusDCmonster

[32]Jan 20, 2013
    i thought the ending of the Avon/Stringer arc was better than the Marlo arc, but it's a personal preference. The set up and execution Stringer Bell getting killed i thought was well done and by having Omar and Brother Muzone take him out virtually moments before McNulty and Lester could take him down along with Avon and the rest of the crew (before the reveal that Stringer was going to rat) i feel bleed into Avon's arrest making this supposed triumph for the police bittersweet which i think was the best way to play it. it ended and then drove story arcs heading into season 4.

i love all 5 seasons and honestly believe they are the 5 best seasons of television ever produced so i'm really splitting hairs. as to what was done better Marlo's arc and it's ending were quite compelling also.