TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Why "The Wire" is one of the best TV dramas ever

jazzman111

[1]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 1

I have to confess that I was one of those people who tried to watch "The Wire" a couple of times and wound up not being able to get past five minutes of watching it. Too gritty, too inner city. Who wants to watch all those desperate people living in such desperately degrading conditions? Finally, after several years, two friends of mine--a psychiatrist and a director of programming for one of the well known cable networks--insisted, once I gave it a little more watching, I was hooked. I finally rented Series 1 and I was hooked.

So, why is this show so good?

1) Character development. It is the work of genius to be able to develop such morally complex characters and, somehow, make them interesting, even fascinating, and make us care about what happens to them. Omar is probably the one character that stands out from all the others. He's a stone killer. He's gay He's a thief that is a parasite on drug dealers. Yet we find him incredibly fascinating and somehow appealing. He has the most uncanny instinct for survival, an ability to appear and disappear at will, overcoming the drug dealers' best efforts to foil him. He seems to have no family connections, the closest thing to it being the blind bar owner. When he is informed of the latter's death, he stands stock still and his eyes fill up with tears. And you just know he's going to be out for revenge. Other stone killers also draw us into their lives and make us intrigued by how they live, how they think, how they make decisions--Barksdale, Stringer, Marlo, to name a few. And then there are the many underlings--Poot, Chris, Spoon? (Chris' partner and fellow hit person). And we haven't even gotten to the cops--McNulty, Bunk, Greggs, Treanor!

2) It takes into the interlacing worlds of the drug scene, the life of the police as seen from within, the waning days of dock workers and unions, the school system, the newspaper business, and finally, city politics.

3) The actors are incredibly good.

4) The acting is incredibly good. Which means the directing is brilliant, as well.

I guess that's good, for starters?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wimjim

[2]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 4

5) Realism - Incredible insight to what Baltimore is like, the street smart language used, and in some cases they used of real people acting, rather than actors. If the world is believable, the story will be that much more fascinating.

6) Deals with real issues/problems of America - Each season focuses into an aspect of American life, created from the world of drugs.

Plonked

[3]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 16
    Im so glad that you like The Wire so much. I am about to watch the series all over again for the 5th time.

sean2evo

[4]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 8
    I've watched full seasons 1-3 so far and I've loved them. Really amazing television. But I just watched the first ep of season 4 and didn't like it much. Way to much Carcetti. Can't stand watching that guy, I have a real hatred of politicians and politics -- especially narcesistic self-righteous a-hole ones. & The school system looks like its going to be a boring story -- those kids playing around, dull. The gangs and policework and the dockworkers were all interesting. Oh, well. I'll keep going and see if it gets better.

moush31

[5]Feb 18, 2009
    • level: 2
    Take away "one of" and I'll agree with you.

Stu984

[6]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 6
    sean2evo wrote:
    I've watched full seasons 1-3 so far and I've loved them. Really amazing television. But I just watched the first ep of season 4 and didn't like it much. Way to much Carcetti. Can't stand watching that guy, I have a real hatred of politicians and politics -- especially narcesistic self-righteous a-hole ones. & The school system looks like its going to be a boring story -- those kids playing around, dull. The gangs and policework and the dockworkers were all interesting. Oh, well. I'll keep going and see if it gets better.

the school storyline is actually pretty good it's definetly worth a watch

WittyName

[7]May 11, 2009
    • level: 6

sean2evo wrote:

Tommy Carcetti starts off as a character that you think is going to be a corrupt, self-righteous politician, but if you watch Season 4, you will find out some stuff about the character that redeems him, in my opinion. Your opinion of politicians probably stems from real life, but Carcetti ends up being one of the more moral characters on the show. Well, from what I've seen of him thus far.

I mean, it's The Wire -- all the characters have their shades of grey. None is a saint, but there isn't a single character that doesn't show humanity. Carcetti reminds me of Prez in the way he is introduced, but then grows on you so much.

Edited on 05/11/2009 8:43am