The Wire Forums

HBO (ended 2008)

Will I like this show?

FoeHammer225

[1]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 9

I have heard many great things about this show, including that this could possibly be the greatest show to ever air. With comments like that, this show isnt something anyone should miss out on. So my question is,will i like this show? i really like shows like 24,lost,prison break, the office, arrested development etc.

Just wanted to know how you guys feel about this show and how you compare this show with some of the shows above. I want to be sure i will like this show before i go out and buy the first season.

thanks

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lovemj

[2]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 14
    I am one of those who is now convinced, after a couple of run throughs of all 5 seasons, that it's probably the best show I've ever seen. And the only show you listed that isn't one of my favorites is Prison Break - and that's only because I've never seen it.

What I would say is, what sets The Wire apart from all of the shows you mentioned (and most every show on TV) is how real it is. It's written by a former Baltimore PD homicide detective and a former Baltimore Sun beat writer, and prides itself on being true to what actually happens. Moreover, it's not like your typical cop-drama in that - you're aren't encouraged to hate the bad guys. If anything, it tries to show the humanity of the whole situation. You end up caring about some of the low level drug dealers, just as you end up seeing some of the not-so-good-intentions that many of the cops have when fighting the drug dealers.

The show is complex, thought provoking, and isn't something to watch halfheartedly. It's intelligent (much like a couple of the shows you mentioned). It's not as fast paced as some of the shows you might like (e.g. 24).

I've rambled enough. I'll leave you with this - the best explanation I ever heard was that The Wire deserved to be nominated for a Pulitzer prize instead of an Emmy. That's a good way to put it in my head since, to me, The Wire is more like a great novel than your standard TV show.

JamesForrest

[3]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 4

Yes, you will like this show. It requires patience, and the show has been described as being "Slow burning", with a massive payoff towards the end.

The first time I watched the first few episodes of the first Season, I was a bit confused. I realised there was a depth here, and a complexity that I had never seen before. I thought "Man...is this really the best TV show ever created?"

But it is in retrospect, and after watching the whole series a second time, that yes, "The Wire" is the greatest show ever made.

Hang in there, keep on watching the episodes, and when you have watched the final episode you'll realise the investment was more than worth it.

I also recommend checking out "Homicide: Life On The Street". A Detective show also done by David Simon who Co-Created this.

You've got a lot to look forward to. Good luck

James

ImAwesome66

[4]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 6
    im still not sure what this show is about, people compare it with my favourite show the sopranos all the time but it doesn't seem relevant

ginaanne

[5]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 3

I just finished Season 1 & besides Lost this is my 2nd favorite show. It's hard to compare it to anything else, but I'm totally absorbed in the characters. I think about them while I'm walking my dogs..lol. I don't think it's anything like The Sopranos, which I hated, over rated imo.

It depends on your taste. The Wire is compared to The Sopranos but not in the same league. The Wire is superior, more realistic, better acted, coolerstories. IMO, if you like gritty no nonsense tv this is for you. Kiss

Edited on 04/01/2010 3:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.

KingofIPirates

[6]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 32
    ginaanne wrote:

It's hard to compare it to anything else, but I'm totally absorbed in the characters. I think about them while I'm walking my dogs..lol. I don't think it's anything like The Sopranos, which I hated, over rated imo.

It depends on your taste. The Wire is compared to The Sopranos but not in the same league. The Wire is superior, more realistic, better acted, coolerstories. IMO, if you like gritty no nonsense tv this is for you. Kiss

Completely agree, The Wire is an intricately made series which documents and encompasses a far wider range than we're used to seeing in most cop shows.

FoeHammer225

[7]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 9

I just watched the first 2 seasons of this show, and absolutely love it !!

one of the(if not the best) show ive ever seen.

meee223

[9]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 8
    Why keep watching if you're not sure of what's going on after the first 4 episodes? It was too difficult to keep on watching. I quit and returned the Season 1 DVD.

DebraMcClure

[10]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 17

To start, did you look at the first 5 Reviews/scores given to this program? It may well have been the best series on television, in general, and HBO in particular. But from your list it would seem you favor escapist TV; which is fine. But this show is very, very real - usually dark and disturbing, but with an occasional ray of sunshine; a little bit of hope. In the end, the people who love this program can't guarantee that you'll "get it" or enjoy it. My suggestion though is to give it a try - you will have to commit to the entire first season (it ran for six), to make a valid judgement. I would suggest therefore, that you rent, rather than buy.

drlowdon

[11]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 8

It took me at least 4 or 5 episodes to really get into The Wire but once I did I was hooked throughout each of the 5 seasons. It may not instantly grab your attention like shows such as 24 or Lost but, for me at least, it is the best TV show of the past decade.

DebraMcClure

[12]Dec 29, 2010

This isn't a new reply - sorry- I must have clicked the wrong tab. I wanted to see other replies to this question; I replied some time ago.

googlebox007

[13]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 1

The Wire is the best TV Show ever made bar none. I am the biggest 24, Lost, Sopranos, Entourage and Prison Break fan. Without all these shows except Entourage, TV is now a very boring place.

The Wire is great because of the characters. They engage you and draw you into this Baltimore world. It shows that even the baddest ass like "Omar Little" has that little thing that has you as a viewer routing for him and utterly disgusted with him in the same breath. I think shows like those mentioned above are not essentially about the plots but the characters involved. The Wire does not really have a star like a 24, Sopranos or Prison Break. Its the lives of these very complex, very funny, very devious, very dubious and very compassionate people that we see and hear everyday but never notice them. Thats where the The Wire is different. East Baltimore could be anywhere in New York, Atl, London, Paris, Rio, Johannesburg.

Its brilliant, give to a go but be very patient!!!

DebraMcClure

[14]Mar 24, 2011

FoeHammer225 wrote:

I just watched the first 2 seasons of this show, and absolutely love it !!

one of the(if not the best) show ive ever seen.

Glad you enjoyed The Wire - you may want to catch Boardwalk Empire to see Michael K. Williams (Omar Little) as a different character.