The Wire

Mission Accomplished

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 19, 2004 on HBO

• There is nothing more to be desired

And again, with frightening accuracy, "The Wire" hits all its marks, satisfies on every level, succeeds more than you could imagine. The final episode of season 3, like every season finale, manages to conclude what has to be concluded and to leave open what needs to be left open.

It is another episode full of exhilirating moments, of amazing writing and acting, and at the same time, because all of the events we followed through so faithfully find an end, with such an emotional impact, that it's hard to hold back tears of both joy and sadness.

Dennis continues his ongoing fight with life, a fight he'll probably never give up, no matter how many blows he has to take.

Carcetti moves on to becoming the new mayor, a goal no one can be certain if it's possible.

Colvin takes all the hits he has to take and is still standing up, nevertheless convinced he has done the right thing.

Daniels and Pearlman are united for good, as Daniels gets unexpected promotion and becomes independent from his wife.

The gap between the partners Herc and Carver become more obvious than ever, as Herc welcomes the return of "traditional" police work of busting corners, while Carver seems to really have heard Colvin's speech about real policework and is trying to move on.

Avon is crushed by all the events and seems to loose some of his confidence that has kept him during all these years, as he now is not only alone, but even has to face his real defeat, when Marlo walks in on his trial.

Omar, like McNulty, seems to have found some kind of closure by killing Stringer, but one can only guess what he will be up to next.

And McNulty? Well, as usual, he surprises us, twice in fact, first by again changing his job to what he thinks is the right thing to do (being a real policeman like he used to be) and second by visiting Beatrice, which not only makes for one of the most surprising moments in the whole show but also for an unbelievably strong and emotional scene that only works because of the 36 episodes that preceded it.

There's even more, so much more that it seems strange, even in memory, that so much can happen in 60 minutes. Season 3 was a brilliant and genius as the previous two seasons and the only reason that I'm not really in tears right now, is the fact that I know that season 4 is starting this year, giving me hope that the best-written serial fiction I have ever experienced will go on.
  • All's well that ends well- and The Wire really knows how to end a season well.

As close to perfect as a season-ender gets, this one hits all of the marks. Story arcs are closed satisfactorily, but some ends are purposely left dangling. Hints are dropped of a new direction in Season 4 for several characters. Fond farewells are bid to some characters, while others are brought back for another turn on stage. And most importantly, the crisp writing, note-perfect acting by the talented ensemble and peerless direction leave you wanting more. This season was incredible, and indelible.
    The bar is set very high indeed for the next season. But I am sure this series is up to the challenge.