The Wire

That's Got His Own

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 03, 2006 on HBO

• My God- what an emotionally gut-wrenching, powerful episode! In this penultimate installment of the penultimate season of The Wire, the characters each face their own crossroads. This one changes the game for everybody...and no one walks away unscathed.

As Colvin enlists The Deacon to help save his program from the budget axe, Carcetti reaches out to the Governor for aid to the budget-crunched school system- and finds that the Governor is all too willing to exploit Carcetti's situation for political gain. Prez faces the prospect of losing Duquan as he is ready for promotion. Freamon's theory about the location of Marlo's bodies holds up, raising the ire of Landsman, who demands that Lester stop finding bodies that add to the unsolved murder stats. Lester goes to Daniels, who gets Rawls to approach Carcetti. The Mayor ok's Lester opening up more vacants to look for bodies. The harassment against Randy turns deadly, and he loses faith in Carver's ability to protect him.
    The jig may be up for Herc, as he is pulled in for questioning by IID.
    Namond continues to realize that he is not cut out for dealing when Kenard steals his stash and Namond is ineffective in his attempt to intimidate him. Michael, who continues his descent into the darker side of the streets, takes over, brutally beating young Kenard. Later, at the gym, he lashes out at Namond also, causing Cutty to intervene. Cutty seeks Michael out and finds out first-hand just how dangerous he has become. Bubbles comes up with a plan to rid himself of the man who has been tormenting him, but it goes horribly awry.
    And Omar makes a huge score at the expense of Marlo.

And with this one The Wire cements its status as head and shoulders above anything that has ever appeared on series television before...and likely ever will again. Beautiful, skilled storytelling at its best.
  • As Prez starts to worry about Dookie, Mike finally does what he feels he has no choice but to do.

I loved this episode! This one really touched me. I had hoped Mike would not "cross over" and actually thought Namond would be the one that would. I think the producers did and excellent job in that sense because that is what they had us thinking. I knew Namond did not really have it in him, but thought he would try to live up to his dad's name. I guess in the end Mike had to do what he had to do for him and his brother to survive. That is sad part of living in Baltimore for some, you feel the only way to survive is to tuen to a life of crime. Great Episode maybe the best of the season.
  • Why aren't people watching?!

I'm not sure what it is with HBO. Yes, they've got great programming, original writing and fantastic actors/directors... but their PR seems to be in the wrong direction. For the last few years, everything has been skewed towards the Sopranos or shows that were DOA (John From Cincinnati... Carnivale), or shows that started strong and fizzled out (Deadwood).

The Wire has been consistently strong and amazing from its pilot episode all the way through the opening of Season 5. It's a shame its coming to an end because it so incredibly riveting and emotional. Hey, HBO... get more people to watch!