The Wire

The Target

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 02, 2002 on HBO

• ... Wars End.

I have heard rave reviews of this show, and so decided to take the plunge with the pilot episode. Although it does not really do that much, it most certainly got my attention.

I really did like the introduction of McNulty – the tough detective who cares even "when it ain't your turn". He inadvertently kick starts an investigation into potentially the largest drug-dealing operation in Baltimore.

Comedy plays a strong role throughout this episode and it made the subject matter easier to deal with. The reaction of McNulty's superiors was hilarious. "These are for you McNulty" and "The deputy likes dots".

The "bad guys" were kept complex – as were the "good guys". It was really interesting to see glimpses of different moral "codes" on both sides of the line.

The Baltimore cops are poorly equipped and in the dark at the start of this investigation. The typewriters were both funny and scary.

This episode draws out the chessboard of Baltimore, and puts the first pieces into action. The question is: "Will this war have an end?".