The Wire

The Target

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 02, 2002 on HBO

• The start of something very, very special.

A solid start to what eventually turned out to be my favourite all time tv show. I am writing this review based on this episode alone and not on what I know will follow (which incidentally turns out to be amazing) Hence the reason I have given it a fairly low score. If you are new to The Wire don't expect anything spectacular in this episode or indeed the next few. It is merely setting the scene and introducing a small amount of the vast array of characters which if you will learn to either love or hate. That is if you have the patience. It makes me laugh to see these idiots giving The Wire poor reviews and saying that they won't bother anymore after watching this episode. Good riddance you fools! It really is your loss. Anyway back to this episode. You are introduced to the Jimmy McNulty a Baltimore homicide detective who shows a particular interest in the trial of D'Angelo Barksdale. D'angelo is the nephew of the boss of the Barksdale crew Avon Barksdale and after seeing D'Angelo found not guilty for murder McNulty is keen to bring down the Barksdale crew once and for all. I won't go through the whole plot line – you can do this yourself on the episode re-cap if certain things aren't clear. However in conclusion it would appear that very little actually happens in this episode. But on second viewing this is not the case. If you are looking for a quick fix of actions, car chases and guns blazing then maybe The Wire isn't for you. If however you are looking for a fascinating story, great characters, amazing writing, and completely brutal realism then stay with it. You will not be disappointed.