The Wonder Years Forums

ABC (ended 1993)

Daniel Stern as adult Kevin Arnold in last episode?

thom319

[1]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 12

I have just finished watching the entire series, with the last episode ending only 5 minutes ago. One thing I noticed is that I saw this last episode during the original broadcast run and I remember specifically seeing a small scene at the end with Daniel Stern as adult Kevin with Winnie coming home from Paris. They were in a kitchen with Kevin's wife and Winnie was holding his son.

So what happened to this scene? Was it cut in syndication? Why? Did I hallucinate or did my unconscious embellish my memory? And does anyone have this uncut episode and be winning to share?

ALSO,....

Why not form a group to pull all the best versions of all the episodes and create a temporary "hold-us-over" until the studio manages to find a way to release an official DVD set with all the original broadcast music? True it would raise the price of the DVD sets but as popular as this show was, there would most certainly be somewhere a group of consumers that would pay a higher price (*ahem* devoted fans). From my understanding the DVD releases of Miami Vice has all the original music and was sort of heavy on music as well.

There has got to be a way to make this work to get all the music rights and not charge $200 per season DVD set.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

justinwestnet

[2]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 17
    You know, I think I remember that. I too saw last nights finale (followed by the pilot, which was entirely different by the way), and I remember some like that. Also, in the finale, Kevin and Winnie stay together, but then he gets married but they still write each other? If he loved her, why not wait? What girl would be ok with that? I did feel like the ending was kind of rushed. Too bad they didn't know they' get axed til after the season, otherwise they could have made a much better finale.

thom319

[3]Jun 22, 2007

Right! Even Stern was given an appearance credit for the last episode (as far as TV.com's episode page goes). Although it would have been great if the characters have stayed together during her 7-8 year stay at Paris, realistically that sort of long absence is very hard to cope with. Hell, if he wanted to, Kevin could have studied in France himself, but he know how that sort of attitude worked out during the last episode where he followed her to her summer job. And can any of us imagine Kevin living in Paris for any length of time?

Personally I've had to deal with a 2-3 year long-distance intercontinental relationship which did not work out as how I had originally hoped. Romanticizing that sort of thing about foreverness in spite of distance usually falls short of practical reality. I AM impressed however that they did maintain a friendship all that time and even after she came back from Europe.

Who knows? Not that I would wish this sort of thing for a TV character, but hypothetically perhaps something fatal could have happened to his wife and Kevin and Winnie could have gotten married in the 80's. This could even be fodder for a future subsequent movie - TV or theater screen? I believe most of the principal actors are still alive (although it was expressed in the last episode that Kevin's father passed two years after his graduation).

Conclusion, while there is still time, film a follow-up movie, rebuild up interest in TWY again, then release the DVD sets of the series (using some of the proceeds to offset the music rights cost). It's that simple.

Edited on 06/22/2007 7:27pm
    Edited 3 total times.

TREKOBSESSION

[4]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 2
    There were a couple of scenes cut from the final episode.When they are in the barn kissing, Stern makes a touching narration about that moment. this along with the airport scene are cut. Syndication always add more commercial time causing scenes to be cut from original episodes. It's a shame for those watching for the first time.

thom319

[5]Jun 22, 2007
    Yeah, I know. Funny thing though, I was watching a recording from ABC Family, and it was edited. One would think that this channel of all would show unedited edisodes.
    Edited on 06/22/2007 8:10pm

mattyg1306

[6]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 16

thom319 wrote:

I have just finished watching the entire series, with the last episode ending only 5 minutes ago. One thing I noticed is that I saw this last episode during the original broadcast run and I remember specifically seeing a small scene at the end with Daniel Stern as adult Kevin with Winnie coming home from Paris. They were in a kitchen with Kevin's wife and Winnie was holding his son.

So what happened to this scene? Was it cut in syndication? Why? Did I hallucinate or did my unconscious embellish my memory? And does anyone have this uncut episode and be winning to share?

ALSO,....

Why not form a group to pull all the best versions of all the episodes and create a temporary "hold-us-over" until the studio manages to find a way to release an official DVD set with all the original broadcast music? True it would raise the price of the DVD sets but as popular as this show was, there would most certainly be somewhere a group of consumers that would pay a higher price (*ahem* devoted fans). From my understanding the DVD releases of Miami Vice has all the original music and was sort of heavy on music as well.

There has got to be a way to make this work to get all the music rights and not charge $200 per season DVD set.

I know this thread is five years old, but I figured I'd touch base on the subject for those who may stumble across it in the future.

FACT is, I have the original May 12, 1993 broadcast on VHS (well actually I just transferred to DVD). There ARE a couple of very short scenes--or rather scene extensions would probably be more appropriate--but I assure you, there was never an "alternate" ending scene with Kevin and Winnie at an airport or a shot of them 8 years later at all (although I do know Danica made a couple guest appearances on Fred's shortlived series "Working"...maybe they did something like that on there?!).

The scenes that are usually cut for time constraints on present day syndicated reruns include the opening of the final act with Kevin sitting on the side of the road rummaging through his luggage and coming across "mom's cookies", just before the car pulls up with Winnie in the back seat. Then the shots inside the car itself where they are bickering back and forth is often abridged, usually cutting out lines like "Of all the Chevys in all the world, she had to walk into mine..." and the scene where the old lady asks them if they'd like some music. Even more recently, they have been abridging the barn scene, cutting out where Kevin jumps the fence after seeing the horse (he just "magically" appears standing next to Winnie after having his back to her a few seconds earlier lol), and also parts or all of that narration ("Once upon a time, there was a girl I knew who lived across the street...").

There is also ONE very short scene that has NEVER reaired since the 1993 telecast: after Kevin loses his car to the band members and just after he punches out Winnie's new boyfriend, they show Kevin walking out the main doors of the resort and out past the canopy. Then the band drives by in Kevin's former car, and you can hear them all shouting Kevin's own cocky words back at him "Well what do you know? the pot is mine eh?" The voiceover during this sequence: "I'd started out to find myself, and ended up losing everything, lock, stock, and barrel. Hell, tomorrow was the fourth of July, so call it macaroni." It was most likely cut because of the use of the word "hell". I HAVE seen this sequence and have it on video.

Also, there has always been some speculation as to whether Kevin and Winnie actually "did it" in the barn that night. Well here's a little proof as to what the producers really intended: Immediately after the dialog, the script calls for an exterior shot of night becoming day, making a little better insinuation that Kevin and Winnie DID, in fact, seal the deal. But for some reason, that short scene was never actually recorded. Also from the original script, the opening narration was to be slightly different.

The farewell episode actually aired as a one hour special, with no end credits or "to be continued" at the end of part one, nor opening credits or recap at the open of part two. Was all one big episode. The series WAS canceled contrary to what many think, and was not simply retired with this being the intended ending. All filming for the episode was completed before the cancellation order was made, but gave the producers just enough time to have Daniel Stern record the "fateful" narration that wrapped the series. The narrative truly made the ending what it was, and appropriately so. Without it, it would have been a mediocre episode with a rather dumb final story.