TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Wonder Years Forums

ABC (ended 1993)

this show is just like boy meets world..

zbabii

[1]Jan 8, 2006
    • level: 2
    I don't know if anyone has noticed, but The Wonder Years is practically just like Boy Meets World, [which is ironic because Fred Savage is in TWY and Ben Savage is in BMW] because:

1)Kevin and Winnie are the perfect couple like Cory and Topanga, on and off again, and

2)Kevin and Winnie, as well as Cory and Topanga, date around alot.

The only differences I can think of is that they're in different time periods and Kevin's best friend Paul is a nerd but Cory's best friend Shawn totally isn't.

Can anyone else think of any more? Just wondering; I find it interesting.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

quazy_qual

[2]Jan 8, 2006
    • level: 12
    You do realise that Boy Meets World first aired years after The Wonders Years finished yes? And that any similarities no matter how far fetched they are were borrowed from The Wonder Years. Anyhoo I dont think they are similar in plot at all and the Wonder Years is a far, far better show.

azyber1

[3]May 13, 2006
    • level: 10
    I like boy meets world better. i guess cause I was born in 1986 and never really seen wonder years excpet for a few times but i did see Family ties.

anyways i just wanted to say that fred and ben were on the same movie together. anyone ever see that?

brickmanfalcon

[4]May 16, 2006
    • level: 17
    Yeah. I think Howie from Deal or no deal was in that movie too. anyway, Fred was on BMW as a creepy college professor who hits on Topanga. I don't remember if this is true or not but I think Ben made a cameo on TWY, but maybe I'm just thinking of something else.

DrGreene422

[5]May 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    You guys do realise that Fred and Ben are brothers, right?

MetallicremA

[6]May 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    Ben is Fred little bro and did a cameo on a TWY episode as "cupid".

dramafreezone

[7]Jun 28, 2006
    • level: 16
    The Wonder Years is a really well written and performed show that appealed to people of all ages, whereas Boy Meets World is a really bad, cheap kiddie-com like Saved By The Bell.  I think lots of people mistakenly see similarities because of the Savage brothers starring in their separate shows and BMW stealing plots from TWY out of desperation to keep a horrible show on the air.

dharmarose

[8]Dec 7, 2006
    i never did like boy meets world, especially how they changed topanga. wonder years did a much better job.

Bardoz

[9]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 9

Boy Meets World and The Wonder Years were both great shows and both ABC hits.

The Wonder Years were inspired by A Christmas Story and assume Boy Meets world was inspired by The Wonder Years.

Anyway I like both shows

RUdaPs

[10]Dec 21, 2006
    BMW was better than TWY, but only because the actors were overall better.  I'm not sure if Ben was better than Fred, but Danielle Fischel was better than Danica McKellar, and Rider Strong was better than Josh Saviano. We'll call it a draw on parents as I think that BMW takes it on the Dad but TWY takes it on the Mom.  I believe we can all agree that we will take Will Friede over Jason Hervey anyday. And then there's the Feeney factor.....

MitchumLIVES

[11]Dec 22, 2006
    I think this thread is talking about the show as a whole... not just the individual acting.

If you want to talk about acting then Dan Lauria and Fred Savage kill the entire cast of Boy Meets World.

And for the record, Boy Meets World should not be compared to The Wonder Years.

telvisnostic

[12]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 52
    I can see the similarites, but TWY owns BMW by far, in my opinion.

LookGuysImaBear

[13]Dec 26, 2006
    Wonder Years is way better then BMW i think Danica played her character perfect

80sfreak

[14]Feb 11, 2007
    The movie the two Savage brothers were in along with Howie Mandel was Little Monsters. I also liked TWY better than BMW, but still watched both up until they got bad. I really never saw any similarities between them. One was a sitcom, and one was not. TWY was more of a drama with some comedy elements, and BMW was almost always a comedy with a slight bit of drama. TWY was more serious in tone while BMW was always more light-hearted. TWY really revolved entirely around Kevin, while in BMW Shawn and Eric were basically as important as Cory, and to some extent Topanga was as well.

chriseternal

[15]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 32
    Yes they are pretty similar but Wonder Years is so much better.

blue4t

[16]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 8

The big similarity is TWY Kevin and Winnie and BMW Cory and Topanga. Difference is Cory and Topanga get together while Kevin and Winnie do not.

In BMW, when Cory dates Wendy, it reminds me of Kevin dating Becky. I think it might have to do with how the girls react to breaking up or how seriously in the relationship the girls are, but not the boys. 
    There's an episode of BMW "The Last Temptation of Cory" where while Topanga is sick Cory kisses another girl at the end of the episode we find Cory has caught Topanga's illness.  This, to me, is like the episode "Nemesis" (I believe that's the episode) where Kevin and Becky make fun of Kevin's friends while Winnie is sick and at the end of the episode, he ends up sick.

Edited on 03/25/2007 3:50pm

loey12886

[17]May 1, 2007

:
    Can anyone else think of any more?
    Well I know one it's not really a similar thing but Cory and Topanga get married, but Kevin and Winnie didn't. Also Kevin has a brother and a sister and before Cory got his little brother in the later episodes, he has a brother and a sister. It funny in real life they both have a bother and a sister.

:
    Cory and Topango get together and Kevin and Winnie do not

I don't get what your trying to say here, Kevin and Winnie do get together, they dating twice. Once in the 3ed-4th season and 5th-6th season. They didn't end up together in the last episode if thats what you mean, but they did get together through out the show.

Edited on 05/05/2007 9:31am
    Edited 3 total times.

Just_Jos

[18]Jun 13, 2007
    TWY will always be a BETTER show than BMW, period.

alirk

[19]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 22
    I see the similarities, but Bow Meets World & The Wonder Years are two COMPLETELY different shows. For one thing, The Wonder Years is more of a drama, and Boy Meets World is a comedy. I like both of the shows, but they really aren't that similar.

Pogoizm

[20]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 7
    Personally I like both shows. The Wonder Years is without a doubt the better written of the 2. Boy Meets World went 2 more years then they should but that shot definitely had some good story lines of their own. Both are good shows I enjoy to watch.