TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Wonder Years Forums

ABC (ended 1993)

this show is just like boy meets world..

DarkNinja1994

[21]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 27
    Well, Ben and Fred are bros. Fred even appeared on Boy Meets World as a college professer named Stuart who hitted on Topanga.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

snowy1617

[22]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 6

[QUOTE="zbabii"]I don't know if anyone has noticed, but The Wonder Years is practically just like Boy Meets World, [which is ironic because Fred Savage is in TWY and Ben Savage is in BMW]

the wonder years came first and is so much better than bmw. Thats just my opinion.

Edited on 10/10/2007 4:17am

BrianSolo

[23]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 8

I hate comments like this. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone says that something that came first is similar to something that came later. It's the other way around.

I also can't stand it when movies use two other movies and mash them together as a descriptor for the new one: "It's Karate Kid meets Blood Diamond!" A movie shouldn't be made if it can't rest on its own merits. Just another thing that bugs me...sorry.

By the way, The Wonder Years is miles above Boy Meets World. BMW is a decent sit-com, but TWY is great all the way through with its nostalgia, social commentary, and humor. And it's not ironic that Fred and Ben are in his own respective show, it's only noteworthy, and the ONLY reason comparisons are drawn between the two shows. Had they not been cast as such, nobody would ever link the shows.

Edited on 03/19/2008 6:37pm

Mlebaron

[24]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 11
    I pretty much agree entirely with the post directly above mine.

TWY is a single-camera, half-hour comedy/drama. It has great acting and great writing. Best of all, it is a period piece which makes it technically impressive and also bring in the nostalgia factor. It places story lines in context of important world events and it has maintained a "classic TV" status since it ended. It certainly holds up to repeat viewing.

BMW is a middle-of-the-road, four-camera sitcom. The acting is pretty good, but the writing is merely average, if not bad. While there are some dramatic moments, many of them feel out of place (at least in the earlier seasons). It has many silly moments and sometimes ridiculous guest stars. While some may fondly remember watching BMW when it was airing, I personally do not think it holds up to repeat viewing, unless it is one random episode here or there.

In summary: TWY is well-written, classic television. BMW is an average, but still entertaining, sitcom.

p4poetic

[25]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 10
    zbabii wrote:
    I don't know if anyone has noticed, but The Wonder Years is practically just like Boy Meets World, [which is ironic because Fred Savage is in TWY and Ben Savage is in BMW] because: 1)Kevin and Winnie are the perfect couple like Cory and Topanga, on and off again, and

2)Kevin and Winnie, as well as Cory and Topanga, date around alot. The only differences I can think of is that they're in different time periods and Kevin's best friend Paul is a nerd but Cory's best friend Shawn totally isn't. Can anyone else think of any more? Just wondering; I find it interesting.

No they didn't. I can count the other people they've dated on one hand, they were always with each other.