The Wonder Years

Pilot

Aired Unknown Jan 31, 1988 on ABC

• One of the most clearly defined pilots ever

Apart from some alterations with the set dressing and perhaps a change of film stock, this is one of the closest pilot episodes to the rest of a series ever made.

I was thirteen and living in a small town in England when this show was first shown. What makes the show so incredibly universal is the way that, twenty years on and (arguably) six thousand miles from where the show was set, the themes struck a resonance with me. The place within a family, school life, the first kiss; all these elements struck a chord and it's fair to say that these are the things that attracted viewers the world over.

The Wonder Years always featured some of the best short story writing in television, and the pilot absolutely laid the groundwork for this. Attention to period detail, character expansion and winsome story-telling are surely what attracted the cast to this script. I remember Fred Savage saying in an interview that there was something special about the pilot's script that attracted him to doing the show, and you have to agree.

Wouldn't it be great to relive these stories on DVD in their original format, complete with music and picture quality.