The Wonder Years

ABC (ended 1993)

anglemark10

The Wonder Years Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• Fred Savage

For awhile I used to watch this show pretty often, almost exclusively for Fred Savage. I just really enjoyed watching him interact with the cast and go through all his different weekly challenges and problems. This show had a very "lesson of the week" feel but I still enjoyed watching it.
  • Learning to live.

This is one of the greatest shows of all time, surely.

A fantastic script, that tells exactly, or most part of it, all the nuances of your early adult years, the preparation, how you react to certain facts, how you used to act in the same situations, and how you learn to deal with it. Only 6 seasons, but all of them have his charm, who knows if the show it's going to be best, or worst?

Anyway, the shows know how to tell the big and the little, but significants facts of life, those who you'll never forget.

And to finish, the great acting, the family looks and sounds like a real family, which in some shows looks fake, you know, the mom doesn't look like a mom, and etc. Not in this case.
  • THis show was great.

I don't understand why they took this show off tv land. This show was the only good one. It had a great theme song, story line, and actors. This show has everything a person could want. It is older then 7th Heaven and it is better. Why wouldn't you want that. You are always hoping for Kevin to get together with Winnie Cooper his crush. Its the average tv show of now but better. THe best thing would be to play the reruns. This show is awsome and it would be great if they brought it back. Bring it back.
  • Ironical Nostalgia

I have started seeing this world from the 80s, but its ironic that a show made in late 80's made me feel nostalgic about 60s. Each and every episode of the show was too close to my heart and in some ways too close to my life. The episodes and the series didn't finish with a feel-good factor ending always, but still each epsiode made me love the series even more. The series had some very realistic characters with some very believable storylines.
    The actors did there work too well, specially Jack Arnold (Dan Lauria)..Who ever thought some kids could ever act as good as they did in the series. They showed us their feelings of love, compassion, hatred, joulesy, friendship, etc. better than most adults could. And the Narration by Daniel Stern, the best part of the show, was too good to put down in words
    In the end, I would like to congratulate and thanks the Script Writer of the series for giving me some of the most memorable lines/quotes of my life..
    All in all, it was a great show , which has been and will be unparallel ever
  • A nice coming of age/family show

7.9
    This show paved the way for so many others and never really got the credit for it: Sex in the City (voice overs), Boy Meets World (coming of age-boy with older brother), Malcolm in the Middle (coming of age boy with older brother), American Dreams (60's period piece), and a few others. The relationship between Kevin and his parents and brother was universal in appeal . I loved the way this show captured the imagination that a child has and allowed us to experience his journey to adulthood. The things he went through, the crushes on the neighbor, embarrassing himself and being picked on by his brother, are totally relateable.
  • I guess since my teenage years were in the 60\'s, I could relate to Kevins's problems with growing up, establishing relationships with friends, family and particularly girls.

This has to be my all time favourite show. Not only because I grew up in this era, but the acting was superb,especially by the child actors. There have been other shows with child actors where the acting was to say the least wanting.

The narration of Kevin's thoughts was excellent, much better then the Waltons. Who ever selected the music for each episode deserves alot of credit. The music just seemed to fit so well, no matter what the espisode. My favourite espisode was 'The Accident' which I believe really defined the relationship between Arnold and Whinne. The song 'We got tonight', it seems like this was written for this episode.

I was so sorry when it went off the air. There just has not been a progam that is a must watch, as this program was.

• I dunno much about the 60's because I was born in the 80's, but my parents say that this was almost exact to their lives. I loved this show.

I dunno much about the 60's because I was born in the 80's, but my parents say that this was almost exact to their lives. I loved this show. I dunno much about the 60's because I was born in the 80's, but my parents say that this was almost exact to their lives. I loved this show. I dunno much about the 60's because I was born in the 80's, but my parents say that this was almost exact to their lives. I loved this show. I dunno much about the 60's because I was born in the 80's, but my parents say that this was almost exact to their lives. I loved this show. I dunno much about the 60's because I was born in the 80's, but my parents say that this was almost exact to their lives. I loved this show.
  • Definetely a good show.

I really liked this show. I bet everyone, at least once, you could relate to some dilemma Kevin got into, probably even more than that. The show was definetely realistic and believable. I also liked it because I found it interesting to atleast get a glimpse of what life was like to live in the 60's & early 70's. Times were definetely different then. It would have been nice if Kevin and Winnie could have made it through but Winnie was just not for it I guess. The show also had a lot of guest stars that are some of my favorite actors like Seth Green and Jonathan Brandis. The show in ways kind of reminded me of my life, a lot of the feelings Kevin felt, I could really relate to. Like with things changing between him, paul, and winnie. It was definetely a classic. They should put it back on television.
  • A fantastic show for the first 4 seasons but still a favorite.

The Wonder Years is the template for realistic family dramas/sitcoms that have come after, including one of my personal favorites Freaks and Geeks. Though preachy at times it should still be required viewing for anyone who thinks that Melrose Place, Party of Five or the OC are realistic dramas.

The Wonder Years was at its strongest when dealing with the trials and tribulations of the Arnold household during the initial 4 seasons. During this period the show had two strong cores with which Kevin could interact: his family (Wayne, Karen, and his parents) as well as his core of friends (Paul and Winnie). The strength of these characters and the mostly realistic development of Kevin's interactions with these groups gave the show a connection to the people who viewed these seasons. On the strength of these first 4 seasons the Wonder Years was my favorite show however season 5 and 6 knocked it of that perch. Though these seasons occasionally hit high peaks the new groups of friends surrounding Kevin, even when augmented by Paul or Winnie, did not elicit the same emotional connection that had existed in earlier seasons. This was also the problem with Kevin's family core which sorely missed more appearances by Karen. Though I often thought she was a minor character, Karen's absence, and the void it created, made me re-evaluate her character.

As a side note: The Wonder Years also gave us many memorable appearances by actors who wouold go on to much larger stages including Alicia Silverstone, Lanei Chapman (Space: Above and Beyond), Seth Green, Dustin Diamond (Saved By the Bell), Robert Picardo (Star Trek: Voyager), Giovanni Ribisi (Friends), and my personal favorite David Schwimmer at his coolest.
  • A great 90's family sit com set around the Arnold family.

A great 90's family sit com set around the Arnold family. The show was about the childhood memories of young Kevin Arnold played by Fred Savage. Basically the whole show was a flashback with the now older Kevin explaining his thoughts and feeling of the times. Theses thoughts and feeling came to us from the Narrator Daniel Stern. The rest of the cast included Alley Mills as the mom, Norma Arnold, Dan Lauria as the dad, Jack Arnold Jason Hervey as the brother Wayne Arnold and Olivia d'Abo as the sister Karen Arnold. Kevin's friends were Josh Saviano as Paul Pfeiffer and Danica McKellar as Gwendoline "Winnie" Cooper.
  • A wonderful show, that related very well to its time period.

Although I was not blessed enough to be born in the era the Wonder Years displays, but I always hear from avid fans of the show that "This is truly how life was." And though a show not quite in my time I admire this show greatly and think it is a very funny show with good music and a good story above all.
  • Great show!

One of my favorites and has to be amazing. Kevin and Winny that was classic. It was just fun to see all the season unfold and to see what was going to happen next. I dont know what i would do with my life if i hadnt watched that show.
  • The Wonder Years was and still is one of the best family drama shows to ever grace television.

The Wonder Years introduced the world to really what was the first true family drama. The story followed Kevin, who was the youngest of the kids. He had 1 best friend, and a love Whinny Cooper. The story is told through an older Kevin retelling his early days. It was wonderfully written, and superbly acting. Wonder Years was without a doubt one of the best dramas of the 80's. Now if only they would release the series on DVD someday.
  • Wow. This show was amazing

This show really worked well with most of my American History classes. I think that this show depicted the 60s family to some extent, it also chronoicaled the Vietnam War, and the events that formed and defined a generation. Something similar to what my generation of 30-something's are facing now.
  • What about a reunion?

I really loved this show and hoped that they would have a reunion or comeback episode/ movie.
    It was a good family show that we always sat down and watched together.
    All the characters were great and the storylines were way above the standard of the day.
    A few shows have been brought out since that are similar but nothing beats the original.
  • Pretty Good Show

The Wonder Years is a show I grew up watching. I love it, it is a show that almost every kid could relate to. I wouldn't call it exactly funny, but more drama. Some of the situations are funny. I gave The Wonder Years a 9.1/10. I plan on buying the DVD collections!
  • cool 80's show

I've loved the wonder years ever since I first saw it on Nick at Nite. This is basically a story about a kid named kevin arnold growing up and having typical trouble with his on and off girlfriend winnie cooper, his obnoxious but funny brother wayne, his hippie-like sister karen, and his nerdy friend, paul phieffer. There are many things that make this a cool show to watch: the conflicts with wayne and kevin can provide some of the shows great moments, mr. arnold and the looks he gives people(you guys know what i'm talking about), the occasional kiss from winnie cooper, and the narration that goes along with it. It's a wonder if you haven't watched this show at least once before!
  • Feel good kinda show!!

One of the best shows ever created! Can't get enough of it. Need to put the reruns back on tv. Also why don't they have a DVD seasons box set out? Would love to be able relax and watch all the trials and tribulations of growing up all over again.
  • The best part about this show was Winnie Cooper.

A timeless coming of age story about a young teenage boy named Kevin Arnold. The wonder years was just one of those shows that actually related directly to us teens. It was just a rollercoaster of a time watching as young Kevin went through some tough times in his life with his parents and annoying older brother Wayne. The best part about this show was Winnie Cooper. Danica McKellar was a great find and just owned that part, she didn't even have to say much to make us fall in love with her. This show had everything, from a great writing team, to an even greater character, and set design. No doubt that the Wonder Years will go down in television history as a great work of art.
  • Awesome.

I've been watching this show since I was little. It used to come on Nick @ Nite. I really miss it. It was one of my favorite shows. I love how this show was set in the 70's too, that's really cool. I am a big fan of Fred. :)
  • Bring this show back, it is the best series i have ever seen. I think that fred savage needs to have bigger parts in big movies, because he deserves it, and i think that fred and danika should get together in real life

Everybody needs to watch this, its breath taking, how kevin can raise his eyebrows, he is cool, and how paul actually turned cool instead of a nerd, like he was in the earlier episodes. Winnie is hot, her and fred need to have a kid together. This best show ever!
  • the best show i ever seen i was in love with winy from when i first saw the show in 1988

bring the show back there wil never be a show that will grow you up with such insperaition like this 1

did the show was like you were watching your own life on tv i would go out of my way tho see the show every week and was heart broken when the show came to its final show! I will always miss this show
  • Bring Back Kevin and Winnie!

The Wonder Years was and is still one of the best sitcoms of all times. Not only did it have the coming of age, feel good aspect, but also the show was consistently funny and charming. Add in an excellent cast of regular characters and a wide range of famous (or famous in the future) guest stars, and you've got a show that's unbeatable!

I fell in love with Kevin Arnold when I was a child, and the affection for both the character and his portrayer Fred Savage has carried through most of my life. Even though the show was set in an era that I never saw personally, it dealt with issues that we all deal with at one point or another in our lives. If more sitcoms took a cue from The Wonder Years, I'd never leave my seat in front of the television.
  • i love this show

this is one of the best series of all time. even if you werent alive during this time, you can still ascociate with the characters and their feelings .the only thing im wondering is when the a comprehensive dvd collection is coming out because i would buy all the seasons.
  • Winnie Cooper is hard to get

So did Kevin ever get Winnie in the end? I don't remember. It's been years since I've seen this show. I watched the first few seasons every week when I was young. This was a great show for the whole family to enjoy. I always heard that Marilyn Manson used to be Paul on the show. I doubt that is true but it would be funny if it was. Paul was such a tortured geek. It would explain a lot about Marilyn Manson. I wonder what ever happened to Fred Savage? Maybe he started some other metal band. Who knows.
  • I've never known a show that could make me laugh so hard when things were good, but cry so hard when things were not.

The family is your stereotypical family, and you think you know what is going to happen all the time, but the beauty is that you never knew what was going to happen. Winnie was the most undecided girl I've ever seen on a show. Kev's brother and his 'butthead' cusses never fail to make me smile. His dad was hilarious, charming, angry, a dad. Plus there are so many actors who starred in the show that are still around now.

Kevin Arnold is the voice of all teenage males, and the 'wonder years' we'll never forget.
  • Best show of all time, one of the #1 shows of all time, meaning and everyday life has you hooked must bring this back on television.

One of the best shows of all time, great story and acting, this show sent shivers down my spine, as I could relate to what was happening to Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage) and it just showed growing up and how to value life.

Bring This Out On Dvd Now A+++++++.

• The Wonder Years is a coming of age TV drama but sometimes comedy. It begins in 1968 telling the story of a 12 years old young boy named Kevin Arnold, his family, friends and school. It ends in 1973 with a 17 years old Kevin Arnold. The best show ever.

The Wonder Years is an excellent TV show, I love it. Sometimes makes me laugh and sometimes makes me cry. My favorite characters are Kevin, Paul and Winnie, but I love the other characters too. I love Paul and Kevin friendship. Here in Peru The Wonder Years was a big hit also. I grew up watching The Wonder Years, in Spanish Los Años Maravillosos, so it is very special to me. As a fan I love every single episode, but my favorite seasons are the first and last season. It lasted 6 seasons, from 1988 to 1993. Wonderful TV show.
  • The best coming-of-age television series ever! It was hopeful, hilarious, insightful, touching, and well-written.

The best coming of age television series ever. It tugs at your hearstrings, makes you laugh, and gives you true insight into life in the process. You could truly relate to Kevin's ponderings and home life, no matter what your family was like. It dealt realistically with the way relationships evolve and how real life lessons are learned--through experience. Kevin's ponderings were more insightful, and self-aware then most, but the series never become too over the top or dramatic, as it was rooted in the impact that normal day to day life and experiences have on the emotional lives of most people.

Although it was called overly sentimental by some critics, I think that it wasn't and had the right touch of optimism, hope, disappointments, funny moments, and worthwhile insights. Things didn't always turn out great for Kevin, and at times he misunderstood or interpreted a situation, but the nugget of truth about life or humanity was found by the end of the episode. These were good people, living in real life constraints and concerns, and finding the sometimes humorous and sometimes heartfelt meaning from it.

The series did flounder in its later years, as it dealt with an almost grown Kevin, and seemed unprepared in how to maintain its tone while Kevin became more world-wise and less innocent. Basically, the series was about coming of age, and Kevin basically was nearing the end of that phase. The quality of the writing was also difficult to maintain later in the series, as it seems that the inspiring coming of age moments had already been dealt with, and the series wanted to avoid dramatic soap-opera like twists and turns, like other series, and keep the show grounded.

It was an admirable attempt, and I think the next great coming of age series will have to plan its seasons out better, and be willing to take creative risks to tell less plot-driven stories and yet keep the audience engaged.

• The best show of all time.

I grew up watching this when I was still a kid, so I always wondered if when I got to middle school and high school if it would be anything like in this tv show. I was pleasantly unsurprised that it really wasn't, as I think this show really nailed the heart of pre-teen and young adolescent life better than any show before it or after it ever did. Although it was set in the 60s, I think all the major themes of life as seen through the adolescent mind still apply to the present. At its heart this was a show about nostalgia, but in a realistic rather than overglorified way. Full of memorable characters that you may swear you knew in real life and a killer soundtrack, this show was very much grounded in reality.

This is probably one of the most requested shows on dvd, and if it is ever released everyone ought to buy it. There's so many classic episodes, but with all the music copyrights with it I wouldn't be surprised if it's never released, or released without the original music(which they had better not do).
1 2 3