The X-Files

731 (2)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 01, 1995 on FOX

• great

731 is the first complete episode I saw of the X-Files. It's as good today as when I saw it for the first time. Wonderfully written by Frank Spotnitz and directed by Rob Bowman, this episode is a rip-roaring adventure. The suspense is kept at a maximum throughout the entire episode as Mulder is aboard a train with a bomb on it. The music by Mark Snow in 731 is excellent, especially when Scully views the pit of bodies at the research facility. With Bowman's superb direction, you feel as if you are on a moving train with Mulder. A great guest star appearance is given by Stephen McHattie as the assassin Red Haired Man. Ruthlessness exudes from him. Stephen Williams as X, Don S. Williams as First Elder, & Brendan Beiser as Agent Pendrell are all worthy of mention here. The first hints of Agent Pendrell's crush on Scully are shown in this episode. The show keeps you guessing whether Mulder and Scully are seeing aliens or just lepers being used as test subjects. When I saw Nisei, I knew I had to see the continuation of that episode 731, to find out what happens. But after viewing 731, I was officially hooked on the x-files and the rest is history.