The X-Files

Agua Mala

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 21, 1999 on FOX

7.8
  • Agua Mala

Agua Mala was a superb and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was well written and fun to watch. There was some good character development as Cully and Mulder investigated a bizarre case in Florida. I liked the idea of the Sea Monster and learning what it truly was, more or less, was fascinating. I liked how the story played out and certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Mulder and Scully get caught in a condo with some other people during a hurricane with octopus like creatures.

I like reading other people's reviews because it confirms things I think bout the show that I thought only applied to me. For example, I'm glad to find people surprised at the ridiculous amount of quirky humor and attempted laughs in this season. Obviously, the myth-arc episodes, as well as the "Drive" episode, which was fantastic, were more on the serious side, but it's insane how much the writers seem to be making interesting premises dull by getting rid of the suspense and adding weird dark humor.

That being said, I love the idea of these chameleon-like octopi creatures who can only be seen in the water, but the way the writers take forever to get around to create the situation that ultimately makes up most of the episode, it sucks any chance the show has of revealing what they are. Which means the way they DO defeat the creature is nearly non-existent. They just sort of disappear. Plus, the character Arthur Evans is one I barely remember, one that was likely introduced earlier in the show or referenced to, but since I watch the show on Netflix at a slower pace, it's something that doesn't stick with me.

Another example here of a great premise ruined by poor follow-through.
  • Episoda Mala

What an unfortunate misstep for the series after a pretty good two-parter in Father/Son. An ill-advised return to the MOTW episode in which they seemingly forget to bring the monster.

The Good: Great effects work. It really looks like they are in the middle of a hurricane. That is about it for the good stuff.

The Bad: Worst writing of the entire season, maybe even the series. The attempts at humor are distinctly unfunny, made even more so by the inexplicable mixing of the humor with moments of horror. In the hands of a Darin Morgan, this juxtaposition might have worked. Here, it fails miserably. Mulder and Scully are horribly, horribly misplayed. It is inconceivable that Scully would shut the door on Mulder after he is attacked by the slime-goo thing. Scully comes across as a whiny beeotch throughout most of the episode. Mulder is back into bemused, sardonic mode. The "monster" is easily the worst since "Tesos Dos Bichos." The fact that it is a waterbound creature, yet killed by exposure to water, is completely laughable. Yes, I know it lives in salt water, but what do you suppose falls out of the sky and runs over the ground during a hurricane? Yup, fresh water, and lots of it.

The Ugly: The opening teaser is quite violent and disturbing. Once again the producers resort to killing a child to create drama. It's a strange fetish that Chris Carter seems to have.
  • Scully abandons Mulder to die while she delivers a baby?

This episode doesn't make a bit of sense. First of all, the humor was all off. It was not smart, X-Files humor but low class toilet bowl humor and stupid puns and the last line of the episode - "Anyone for water?" "NO!" It's so not funny, that it's UNfunny. And how many times were we going to hear about that pregnant lady's peeing needs? How many times were they going to repeat the line about all the nuts rolling downhill to Florida? It wasn't funny the first time, repeating it won't do it any good. I'm not even going to mention the plot holes in general just because the plot is so ridiculous it doesn't merit any attention. Yes, to the audience, Arthur Dales is a fairly recent character because we just met him a season ago. However, Mulder hasn't seen this man for years and years, pre-Scully, pre-XFiles. Why doesn't he seem more surprised? Why does Scully suddenly not have respect for nature and the Sea, which apparently, she learned to worship from her father? Whatever.

The thing that bothers me most is how blatantly wrong the characterization of Scully and Mulder was. Mulder is attacked by the sea thing in the same way that the Deputy was. He was in such need of dire medical attention that she needed to give him a tracheotomy!! That means she had to cut a hole open in his throat and insert a tube so he could breathe. And she just abandons Mulder to the same fate behind a door and a man with a gun? Do you think Mulder would ever abandon her like that? Not in a million years. It angered me then, that they were so flippant at the end of the episode about giving all the praise to Scully for saving Mulder's life. Not only that, but she seems eager to take the praise as well, pointing out that it was her revelation about the water that pointed Mulder into the rainwater. I was almost ashamed for her at that point. To be so smug about the situation is one thing, but even after she abandoned him to his fate like that? She should be feeling small and ashamed, not gloating and teasing. I know Mulder tramples on Scully's feelings a lot, bull dozing her out of the way, but he would never leave her like that. And he certainly would not gloat about something like the way she did in this episode. Not that I'm saying Scully as a whole is a terrible person, just that the writer of this particular episode had no clue what he was doing or what the characters he was writing about would do.
  • The uncharted depths... of a filler episode

As filler episodes go, Agua Mala was a really good one. Although, It did have alot of parallels to "The Host". The pace of the episode was quite slow to start off with, especially the scenes with 'Forrest Gump' and I don't usually like slow paced episodes but I actually enjoyed how they slowly discovered the sea water creature. What made the episode more interesting for me was the face that Mulder and Scully were stuck inside the building with the weird neighbours that made the episode more fun to watch. I thought that the suspense of the episode came right at the end, where Mulder was out in the hallway after being attacked by the creature, George had a gun to Scully's head to stop her from going out there, and the pregnant woman was in labour! I would have liked to see that scene extended, to prolong the suspense that Philes like myself absolutley love!... but it was still a great episode.

I also liked the ending, how the scene ended where Walter shot the sprinklers on, then it faded and we were told how Mulder and Scully got out of the building by them talking to Arthur... The audience was sorta left wondering about the creature... but hey, it is The X-Files XD
  • Sea water and fresh water take it to the next level *edit: Sorry for the double post*

7.1
    Finally!

Mulder and Scully are back on the x-files (after a rather confusing two-parter) and the show is back on track. One might argue that the monster was not as detailed as on previous moftw episodes but to me that just adds to the suspense.

The special effects are great, it has a few good laughs to it and essentially there is not a single dull moment. Only thing that bothered me was that Scully would leave Mulder out in the Hallway. Even with a gun to her head she could have found a way - she's Scully after all!

As to the Monster people have argued that they didn't understand how it lives in the water and can be killed by it. Well it lives in sea water and gets into the building by wash ups of sea water due to the hurricane. It cannot live though were there is fresh water because it needs the salt. It is explained rather briefly at the end I'll give you that but it still is explained. And if someone doesn't get it I would suggest watching the last 3 min again.
  • Sea water and fresh water take it to the next level

7.1
    Finally!

• This series just goes from humorous back to ridiculous.

7.4
    Firstly we have to remember that the X-files is 22 episodes long....per series!!

There has to be some filler episodes.

This episode gives us a look at the agents called down to Florida to help "an old friend". A retired cop who sits by his ham radio all day listening to his neighbours disappearing. We have evidence of a sea like creature emerging from the waste water pipes to terrorise the local residents. Dana discovers that the creature came in from the sea, and therefore lives on sea water. There is a scene with a looter (who later stars in series Lost). Some comic moments with him.
  • So is like Epsom's Salt not the best thing ever?

5.9
    I had trouble following this one, something about water.

Yeah seriously, the creature lives in water but if your in water you'll be safe. I must have missed something I'm sure.

It was a fun episode though, a few of the BG characters are funny and well written. And the episode gets pretty nasty with this thing and how it kills/absorbs/transforms people. Nothing much happened in the episode of note to the overall story arc of the X-Files, but that's standard fare by now.

Overall an okay episode in my book, nothing great, but nothing horrible either, which to me is a win.
  • A hurricane, a sea monster, a baby, a survivalist and a looter - it's a bizarre episode.

I can understand the dichotomy of opinion about this episode - it doesn't exactly fit wih the ongoing underlying storyline and there are some plot holes - but I enjoyed it anyway. It's one of those episodes that you need to watch without too much thought.

The basic premise is that some kind of weird sea monster may be at large during the hurricane season in Florida. Mulder responds to a request to look into it and brings Scully along for the very wet ride. During their journey, they meet a deputy who should never have been allowed to carry a gun, a looter with few scruples, a weird survivalist and a couple bickering about the oncoming birth of their child. It's true that everyone in the episode is some kind of stereotype, but it still comes as a fun interlude to the main deep stuff, and though the jokes are a little off, I think if you come at it in the right frame of mind it's a nice rollercoaster ride.
  • Overall, this episode was a massive disappointment to fans, leaving the audience with a number of questions about continuity by the end.

Coming on the heels of the mythology-heavy “Two Fathers”/”One Son” duology, the timing of this particular episode was more than a little unfortunate. A lot of fans were still buzzing over the massive shift in the direction of the series, while others were annoyed and fed up with the growing lack of cohesiveness since the end of the fifth season. It was the completely wrong time for a poor-to-mediocre “monster of the week” episode.

Unfortunately, someone thought that this episode made enough sense, right down to the budget for an entire fleet of rain trucks, to produce the episode and run it during sweeps. Needless to say, the reactions were enormously negative. Angry reactions began with the realization that Mulder and Scully were back on the X-Files without a word regarding the process of making that happen. Diana Fowley’s situation was never addressed, and Cancer Man’s plans for Mulder and Scully apparently disappeared in the wake of the Syndicate’s destruction. Why, after months of putting the agents into the most difficult situation possible, would everything simply jump back to square one?

Before the teaser was over, another logical problem emerged. The hurricane season on the East Coast runs from June to November. The events of “One Son” took place in early 1999. So when exactly was this episode supposed to take place? Mulder and Scully were assigned to domestic terrorism cases and background checks for the entire 1998 hurricane season. Mulder met Arthur Dales in “Travelers” in the spring of 1998, so it couldn’t have been a past event. So unless the writers were jumping into the future (thus negating some of the tension for the end of the season), this episode was never meant to fit into any acceptable spot in the continuity.

Both issues would become hallmarks of the post-“Fight the Future” version of the series in the sixth and seventh seasons. As the writers turned more towards the “iconic” versions of the characters over the more complicated versions developed through the fifth season, there was less need or desire to make sense of the flow from episode to episode. And while that was never considered vitally important by Chris Carter, the situation became steadily worse as other showrunners struggled with the network and the desire to keep new viewers from fleeing.

There is an attempt at balance in this episode, as evidenced by the connections made with Arthur Dales and Scully’s medical training. Mulder is more than just a wise-cracking paranormal and conspiracy nut, and Scully is more than just a scientific skeptic. But a lot of the context is missing beyond that. In some scenes, especially those with Arthur Dales, it almost seems like the writing staff needed to remind everyone why Scully was so important to Mulder’s crusade.

Joining Mulder and Scully for this little adventure is a band of hurricane refugees who are supposed to be wacky and amusing. They turn out to be annoying. Walter and Angela are two Cubans with a child on the way, and so of course, the baby must inevitably be born in the middle of the crisis. Angela’s lines are particularly cringe-worthy. There’s also a looter, played by someone trying desperately to channel Steve Buscemi, and a gun nut named George who looks like he’s ready to repel an invasion.

Rounding out the list of sins, the monster itself makes no sense at all. Creatures requiring salt water to survive are well understood, but none of them are effectively invisible and non-corporeal until enough water collects to allow them to materialize. The writers seem to be reaching for a nice little bottle show like “Ice”, but those episodes are usually used to reveal something about the characters trapped in that isolating situation. Nothing new is revealed about Mulder and Scully at all, and so everything becomes dependent on the novelty of the “monster”.

For those reasons, many fans consider this to be one of the worst episodes of the sixth season. One can’t help to wonder why they decided to bring back Arthur Dales for an episode that did nothing for the recurring character. In fact, his presence in the episode is completely unnecessary. Anyone could have served Dales’ function, and that odd lack of consideration touches nearly every aspect of this episode.
  • Cool Episode

Cool episode. I loved the water monster storyline even though the whole episode reminded me of one of those natural disaster movies - a bunch of people stuck somewhere in the middle of a storm or earthquake etc.

You'd think that by now Scully would believe in the supernatural more after 6 years but as always she thinks there's a logical explanation for everything.

It really got interesting when Mulder was attcked by the creature and was left all alone outside the room everyone was in.
  • Amidst a raging hurricane is not the best time to face a water-based monster...

7.3
    Some humorous moments, and a real sense of danger (Mulder comes very close to death...again:)), but ultimately it's a standard monster-of-the-week episode, and we've seen plenty of that. It's formula, but it's X-Files, so formula usually works. In this case, just enough to be entertaining without managing to be enthralling.
  • I agree with The_Ravns review but...

I agree with The_Ravn when saying that it had the potential to be dark,scary, thrilling and basically a cool episode, but I also think that it WAS good! Great! It had lots of humour - and I especially thought the pregnant woman had some funny lines, but not just her - suspense, a VERY good monster and I liked the the extra characters stuck in the block of flats.
    I hadn't seen an episode with Arthur Dale in it before, and he made me laugh a lot! The way he acted around Scully especially.
    I thought this was a very good episode, and though it hasn't anything to do with the mythology I thought it a classic X-Files episode.

I suppose this shows that it depends on your taste, and what kind of episodes you like best out of the show if you like this episode. But, personally, its one of my favourites.
  • A great setting and a very cool monster promises a classic episode, but the poor choice of cast and real lack of content disappoints.

Agua Mala had the basis to be a very cool episode. The setting - an isolated hotel in the middle of a tropical storm - was actually one of the things that worked the best and brought in a very dark and classic "X-Files"-feeling.
    The monster was also wonderfully gross and well-made, even though we only saw glimpses of its transparent tentacles and what it did to its unfortunate victims. It's always difficult to explain where the monster-of-the-weeks come from and why no one's ever seen them before, but the explanation they came up with in this episode (the monster being water) was good.
    The biggest problem was the cast and the characters. It was nice enough to see Arthur Dales return, but the rest of the bunch seemed as if they had been brought in for cheap laughs, and the pregnant lady has to be one of the most annoying and stereotypical people I've ever seen on the show. The whole storyline with the birth was painfully cliché and pretty pointless. George, the guy with the guns, could have been interesting enough, but it felt like his character was abandoned quickly.
    If they had shifted the emphasis of the episode from silly comedy to horror and maybe had a smaller supporting cast, maybe this episode would have worked better.
LOGO