The X-Files

Apocrypha (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 1996 on FOX

• Apocrypha

Apocrypha was a perfect episode and very entertaining. I really enjoyed watching because the story played out nicely and was full of action, suspense, and intrigue. It was cool to see the Cigarette Smoking Man in the old days and now and to learn how he is involved. There was a lot of character and plot development for most of the characters. I liked seeing more of the secret council. Skinner recovers and tries to help Mulder which was awesome. I like how every thing worked out. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • The conclusion to yet another two-part episode

Another two-part episode revolving around government conspiracies comes to an end, and while I thought that the plot was a little murky in places, I thought the overall stakes of the character were higher than ever and made for some amazing television. With Skinner getting shot, Krycek on the run and both Mulder and Scully possibly in danger, it was as exciting as anything I've seen on TV recently.

I was a bit confused at what was going on with the black oil/fog that took over the people's bodies, and Mulder sort of half-explains to Scully that he believes it to be a mode for alien life-forces to travel from one person to another, but it seemed like a weak idea and there was zero proof that Mulder had except for the fact that the Cigarette Smoking Man and the other government agents were after it. It was nice to see some closure with Krycek though, and it was brutal what happened to him, regardless of what he was guilty of. And I don't think I've ever seen Gillian Anderson act so well as Dana Scully.. her reaction to finding her sister's killer was incredible and was unlike anything I've seen her do on the show.

I'm sure this episode will be followed by a slew of stand-alone episodes that don't really hold a torch to these type of episodes, but either way, if it means there's more episodes like this in the future, I'll accept that fact. But so far, this was yet another great episode in a great season.
  • Once again CSM wins

When Mulder and Scully are so close to the truth, they are somehow stopped and end up having nothing. And losing something. This time, what could've been closure for Scully's sister's death it's just a bitter moment because they're back to empty hands.

CSM had to win again. And Krycek had to help all along. Now, sometimes it's not enough to hurt Scully but now they take Skinner down for a while - and I wonder why they hurt him there instead of doing it with no witnesses at all.

I love X-files hospital scenes, where there were no many things to say but so little was addressed. It was kind of frustrating but at the same time it kept you wishing for more.
  • Radiation poising and an important message

The scenes with the radiation victims are scientifically accurate. Symptoms include skin blistering, retina damage, and among a host of other things, vomiting blood caused by damage to the lining of the intestines. I was impressed with the accuracy of how the victims were depicted, especially when the junior Navy officer diagnosed the victims with advanced cancer. I’m still not sure if the writers revealed the source of the radiation, however I have a feeling that it was from the UFO. Perhaps the craft was fueled by some kind of reactor plant. Otherwise, I thought that Agent Scully touches on an interesting subject when she visits her sister’s grave with Mulder. That being vengeance and revenge. She talks about hoping to feel satisfaction when her sister’s killer was brought to justice, and instead she only feels emptiness and confusion, and a feeling that there were others to blame. Overall I got the feeling that instead of closure; we just got another government patsy.
  • Skates and Silos

The action intensifies as Krycek is loosed, Scully confronts her sister's killer and Mulder has a revealing conversation with the Well Manicured Man.

Loved the black and white flashback with Mulder Sr. and CSM standing menacingly over a submarine survivor, who assumes that they are the good guys and reveals his terrifying story about the black oil to them. Very effective showing of the sinister nature of the syndicate even as early as 1953. Scully burns through this episode and she is given the weightiest lines of the episode, especially at the conclusion as she ruminates with Mulder in the cemetery about the nature of conscience and guilt.
  • keeping me on the edge of my seat

¡§Apocrypha¡¨ is the concluding part to ¡§Piper Mara¡¨. It see¡¦s Mulder go to Hong Kong to look for last seasons elusive digital tape. It¡¦s a good episode that satisfies our need for the usual X-file goings on. Skully catches Skinners shooter and finds out that its her sisters killer. The episode finishes with Krycek in a spot of bother and the smoking man, well, smoking as usual . For some reason the following episode has nothing to do with this episode and leaves many questions unanswered, like in many other X- files. ƒ¼ 8 out of 10 for keeping me on the edge of my seat.

• The one with the oil, part 2

A great second part of ‘Piper Maru’ though not as good but still fantastic.

It begins with a guy who is burned telling his story to some detectives, he calls one Mr Mulder and he wants to truth to come out, There is also another guy who says that he can trust them, he is smoking a cigarette.

Then Scully goes to Skinner, he is injured but will survive. They have a beautiful scene together where she holds his hand tight, he tells her that he knew the man who shot him.

Meanwhile Mulder and Krycek take off in the car, on the way a car hits it and they go off the road. When they try to kill them Mulder passed out but Krycek burns them.

When Krycek’s gone, everyone wants to find him. His collage was the one who shot Skinner and helped them steel the tape, he was also the one who killed Melissa. While the thing that controlled him went to CSM.

Also the old guy who is one of those big bosses isn’t to happy with CSM and doesn’t trust him, he meets with Mulder but Mulder knows that he doesn’t know anything and calls Scully to check up on Skinner.

When she goes, he is taken my an ambulance, she is able to find it and protects him when the man comes back for him. She holds him and he goes to jail where he gets killed later on.

As last Sully and Mulder go to a place where they find burned up people, some militaries take them out and then we see Krycek in a room. He pukes out the oil and the oil goes in some strange thing.

The episode was very interesting and cool, it develops the oil thing and Krycek.
  • "Maybe we bury the dead alive."

Oh, how literal that line becomes. You have to love the subtlety of a Spotnitz-Carter anvil like that, especially when you see Krycek screaming at the end of the episode. "Apocrypha" is a fine follow-up to the engrossing lead-in "Piper Maru".

This episode features many more familiar faces in familiar places. Nicholas Lea, in his "black oil" days; Mitch Pileggi, in his "I'm shot" days; John Neville, in his "I'm alive" days; and William B. Davis, in his "Cancer Man" days. They are all there, and they all flourish in their roles because they were written so vaguely. The X-Files was often criticized (unfairly) for the rather slow progression of the show and the "unknown" motives of the characters -- but I think this emphasized their effectiveness. When plot revelations were, in fact, exposed in an episode -- they retained a substantial amount of impact. Of course they did -- because the revelations were surprising for their secrecy and their unexpectedness. While the events of "Apocrypha" led to little progression of any storyline, the audience and the characters realize the true "infinite wall" they were facing. Battles aren't won or lost in an hour -- they are fought over years with little ability to discern between victory and defeat.

So as Melissa's murder investigation begins to progress and suspects begin to be revealed, other events make the evolution more complicated and less successful. But, as Scully says, "We bury the dead alive." We seek answers to comfort ourselves and the ghosts of the victims. Gillian Anderson gives a powerhouse performance in this episode, an episode that I think brought her to the forefront of television actresses.

The Krycek storyline was especially intense in this episode, and its ultimate conclusion was deliciously chilling. It's hard to forget the big, scary, locked door with the number "1013" on it -- Krycek screaming in vain behind it. Fortunately, the fans needn't have worried. Krycek would return soon enough. But it still led to one of the best episode conclusions on the series.

Finally, something has to be said about John Neville, who made the Well-Manicured Man such a remarkable character. Neville was absolutely fascinating in his performances, giving them a complex mirage of power, regret, and ultimate desire for both truth and corruption. Neville played the ultimate man of smokescreens. His scene with Mulder was fantastic.

"Apocrypha" is a well-constructed episode, a fitting and satisfying conclusion to this blurb in the X-Files mythology. And it began to show how much this show had besides a thrill per hour.