The X-Files

Apocrypha (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 1996 on FOX

• The conclusion to yet another two-part episode

Another two-part episode revolving around government conspiracies comes to an end, and while I thought that the plot was a little murky in places, I thought the overall stakes of the character were higher than ever and made for some amazing television. With Skinner getting shot, Krycek on the run and both Mulder and Scully possibly in danger, it was as exciting as anything I've seen on TV recently.

I was a bit confused at what was going on with the black oil/fog that took over the people's bodies, and Mulder sort of half-explains to Scully that he believes it to be a mode for alien life-forces to travel from one person to another, but it seemed like a weak idea and there was zero proof that Mulder had except for the fact that the Cigarette Smoking Man and the other government agents were after it. It was nice to see some closure with Krycek though, and it was brutal what happened to him, regardless of what he was guilty of. And I don't think I've ever seen Gillian Anderson act so well as Dana Scully.. her reaction to finding her sister's killer was incredible and was unlike anything I've seen her do on the show.

I'm sure this episode will be followed by a slew of stand-alone episodes that don't really hold a torch to these type of episodes, but either way, if it means there's more episodes like this in the future, I'll accept that fact. But so far, this was yet another great episode in a great season.