The X-Files

Aubrey

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 06, 1995 on FOX

• Mulder: I've always been intriguged with a girl named .

The storyline had some intrigue, and I liked how they portrayed the young Harry Cokely (making him feel like a chilling early 20th century serial killer). But for some reason (despite the above), the episode felt average.
  • . is not the right age

The old woman was raped and got pregnant back in 1945. In 1995, his son would be 50 years old, and yet the granddaughter, looks way past her forties.
  • Aubrey

Aubrey was a superb and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing, dark, and had some great elements. The acting was great and the character development was good. There were some pretty great scenes, like the old woman trying to defend herself from being cut again. It was interesting to watch every thing play out and the ending was pretty decent. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!
  • Getting worse and worse.

6.4
    This episode was completely unoriginal and uninspired. Again, the only thing that kept me alive were the funny little quips between Mulder and Scully. I suppose it was suspenseful when Mulder was almost killed by BJ, but then I was just creeped out because I have a thing about possessed voices. I felt that our dynamic duo were picking on an old man who had done his time, surely still evil but barely able to breathe and just biding his time in front of the tv until he died. There was also an interminable amount of time, it seemed to me, of the agents just staring at pictures and sitting in the hotel room or the lab, thinking. Not much action beyond driving and that last scene. I can't decide if the woman who played BJ was good or terrible. Either she was overacting or she was convincing, but it isn't really clear to me because I was distracted by her growing and disappearing rash on her face. Was that supposed to be like the one on Cokely's face? Again, a big fan of continuity..
  • Mulder and Scully chase after a woman who has clairvoyant experiences

For the most part, I've had issues with Season 2 of The X-Files. When the show is focusing on its normal extraterrestrial cases, they're superb, but there's something about the random case-orientated episodes that bother me. They feel less energetic and interesting as the ones from the first season and I can't help but thinking about how much I want to be watching Mulder and Scully chase conspiracies during these episodes. However, this one wasn't bad at all. There was an interesting case, plenty of twists and for once, I felt like everything sort of made sense.

Mulder and Scully investigate a woman who seems to be experiencing dreams where she is in the body of a man who is burying people... it turns out that the people she's seeing buried are men that have been missing for nearly forty years. As Mulder and Scully begin investigating, Mulder brings up the idea of genetics and that somebody in her past may have been doing this, which makes her predisposed to it. An interesting idea, and one that drives the episode forward.

For me, this was typical classic X-Files: a case that doesn't feel lame, that stands alone from the conspiracy stuff without feeling boring or uninteresting and the usual Mulder/Scully back-and-forth banter that other sci-fi shows and procedurals have aped ever since. It was odd to see Terry O'Quinn in something other than Lost, but overall, everything flowed pretty well. The episode today was truly creepy, unlike the last couple of weeks, which have been sort of lame for me.

Not bad though.. I'm looking forward to seeing where the second half of Season 2 goes.
  • This one just goes to show that when the X-files was in its prime, its average episodes were THAT much better than anything else on TV.

This episode is not pivotal to the series. There were no great reveals or conspracies. Have it or don't, it makes no difference to the over arching mythos of the show. So why is it so damn good?

There's a good, and seemingly average murderer running around. The story is at times scary, at times heart breaking, and also really makes you think.

Detective BJ Morrow is having an affair with her married boss (Terry O'Quinn in his first of many appearances, and characters on the show). While waiting for him at some far off motel to discuss the ramifications of her pregnancy, she has a 'vision' of sorts. She runs off to an open field and... digs up the corpse of a FBI agent who had been missing for over 50 years.

Well, that's just odd. Enter Mulder and Scully, classic as ever in this ep. I won't ruin the surprise, or give away any of the shocks, but if you find the mythology to be just to much and like the stand alone episodes THen this ep is perfect.
    Hell, watch it anyway.
  • What a creepy woman

The plot about a woman commiting crimes because her grandfather did and it was in her genes was pretty weird. But the whole story was creepy and a scary. It was a shock for me when the woman had been pregnant with Cockley's child.
    Scully analyzing BJ and immediately knowing she was pregnant and had an affair was something I was expecting from Mulder, the psychologist, not her. I liked the fact that she was sympathetic. But I guess Mulder broke the case.
    The whole Mulder and Scully dynamic was good. Their conversations in the hotel room and in the car were great.
  • BJ is OK

Now this is more like it. An extremely well plotted episode, that's directed and played (and scored) with an intensity that's been missing for the last couple of episodes. It makes for an extremely gripping episode that's not only made more enjoyable by some witty Mulder and Scully interaction but also by a positively dynamite guest performance by Deborah Strang playing the beleaguered Missouri cop, BJ Morrow. Thematically, "Aubrey" also harks back to the major plot strand of Season One, which was used throughout recurrent episodes like "Roland", "Lazarus" and "Young at Heart". The transference of souls has yielded some good solid work in the X Files pantheon, but "Aubrey" is clearly the leader in this field at this stage. Strang's haunted work as BJ is the lynchpin here. Not only are we engrossed by the woman's plight but we're also made to feel very sorry for her. She can't help it if she's genetically disposed towards being a serial killer, and in the 2 attacks that we see her perform – both creepily done – on Mrs Thibidoux and the old killer Cokely, we can also see how torn she is. It's very easy to go over the top with a manic "I'm gonna slash you to little pieces with my cutthroat razor" part, but Strang invests poor BJ with real fear and alarm at the precipitous events befalling her. And who wasn't terrified when she awoke from her dream to find herself covered in blood, with Cokely reflected in her mirror? (For the record: carving the word "sister" onto someone's chest with a razor is a much more frightening concept than writing "she is one" in magic marker on someone's back, which we recently had to endure in "Red Museum".)

Another great pleasure of this episode is how well Mulder and Scully work together. Mulder's in fairly lightweight mood, with his comments about wanting to meet a woman called BJ, and it's all the more amusing to see that these kind of comments carry absolutely no weight with Scully whatsoever. She quite rightly ignores them. But Scully is not above having a little dig at her partner when the time is right. When she teases him with "I seem to recall you having some pretty extreme hunches" and Mulder reposts with an indignant "I never have", it's a lovely humanising moment between a pair of agents who oftentimes can come across as being very dour. On the subject of pretty extreme hunches, while Mulder is the one to make the assumption that BJ is the transferred killer, he does so from a fairly logical standpoint. It's not a conjecture ripped out of nowhere, and if anything, the picture at Mrs Thibidoux's house of the 1939 World Fair in New York is what clinches his assumption. (See what I mean about good plotting?) But, to my mind, the real hunch that plays out correctly in this episode is when Scully not only guesses that BJ and Tillman are having an affair, but also when she figures out that BJ is pregnant. And this doesn't come from a logical standpoint at all, but woman's intuition, something that Mulder didn't see at all. One thing that "The X Files" has proved itself very good at it is taking up a theme that looks like it might yield some interesting results. So when Mulder says to BJ that "dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out to ask" it's the foundation of a theme that will resurface to extraordinary effect in later episodes like "Paper Hearts" and "Closure". But that's later. In the meantime, this is an extremely well directed and acted outing that shows some major re-investment after a couple of lacklustre episodes. In many ways, like another solid standalone example like "Tooms", it works extremely well as a template for what a good X File should (and can) be. And when it's good, it's very very good. 8/10
  • Like Father Like Son

A nicely written and smartly paced self-contained episode that is creepy, mysterious and touches on some interesting philosophical issues, namely the whole nature/nurture debate and the nature of evil. The grandfather was very convincingly played and reminded me of a redneck Hannibal Lector. The presence of a not-quite-yet-totally-bald Terry O'Quinn bumps my rating up one-half a point alone. Sure it was fake that she would dig up an old corpse seemingly buried 5 inches deep in a crop field but hey, she didn't have a shovel and did you really want to watch as she dug down six feet or more?
  • Rehash

“Aubrey” is another one of those damn rehash episodes. Basically if you take “Roland” and then took “Born Again” and mashed them in to one this is what you’d get. Mulder and Skully investigate a series of copycat killings from the 1930’s. Thus leading to the “Its his spirit but in her body” or “Born in a different body” situation. These writers get on my nerves, if its not rehash episodes it episodes about little evil children. This is a lot better than “Born Again” tough. The end is the brother, who was a killer, is now his sister and killing again. Average. 6/10
  • Mulder and Scully are investigating a strange series of events that link serial killings from the past to what is happening in the quiet town of Aubrey, Missouri. Could this all be caused by the genes passed on from killer to offspring?

Another great installment of Mulder and Scully. The episode is one of the more memorable ones that raises some interesting questions.

In this episode a police woman is having flashbacks and finding the bones of those murdered by a serial killer in the 40\'s. How can this be? At this point Mulder and Scully become involved, and things get more confusing rather than less.

Can the murderous traits of ancestors be revisited upon the offspring? Can the memories be shared through the bloodline?

As they wrap up the conundrum, we are left wondering why she is desperate not to have the child and...could it have been the child that caused everything?

All around good Mulder fare.
  • The one with the killer genes.

Another good episode.

It’s all a little weird and I didn’t understand why he wrote (sorry, slashed) down ‘sister’ on the girls. And what did that dead cop have to do with everything? And his ‘brother’ slashing words on his chest. Did it make sense?

It’s about this woman who is having an affair with an agent who is married. She is pregnant by him and is having some sort of visions and digs up a body of a dead agent.

The woman keeps having premonitions, also about other woman being killed and how. All die the same way with the word ‘sister’ being slashed on them.

The bad thing about this episode, is that. Again. Nothing was really resolved, nor explained. How could that woman not even have blood under her fingernails?

So anyway, the woman sees a guy in her dreams and she identifies him. The problem is, the man is very old now and can’t hardly move.

He did it once to a woman, but that woman turned out to be his ex and they had a child. She was afraid that the child was evil like his father so she gave away her child. The child had a daughter who was the woman having those visions, and she was doing all those deaths on influence, the killer genes passed on to her and the only way was to finish it.

After failing the attempt of killing her grandmother, she goes to her grandfather and stabs him and after he dies, she is able to come back to the world. The woman ends up in an insane asylum where she tries to kill her baby because she’s afraid he will end up as a killing as well.
  • Good episode, with an unclear resolution... which is ok, of couse!

The story was great, but I think Mulder and Scully came to the wrong conclusion, so I was unsatisfied with the ending.

** SPOILER ALERT **

By the end of the case, Mulder and Scully believe the explanation has to do with the idea that there is a sort of genetic memory, and that BJ was subconsciously driven to act out her grandfather's (Cokely's) psychotic impulses.

At the same time, her psychotic behavior appeared to cease at the moment he died. The way I see it, this suggests a psychic connection rather than a physiology or genetic one.

Along those lines, I'm reminded of the Roland episode whereby his twin brother (that is, his twin borther's cryogenically frozen head) was able to "possess" him.