The X-Files

Beyond the Sea

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 07, 1994 on FOX

• Another great one

No conspiracy, byut we get Don S Davis as Scully's dad and his ghost, Scully start believing etc. Mulder becomes the sceptic here.
  • Surprise--A Fine Episode!

Just when I'm about to give up watching this sub-par Season One, they sneak in a good one to keep me going. Dourif displays a wide range of acting skill for his character that's very compelling to watch, often channeling the psychosis that Manson projected for the cameras. The story's pacing is well-done, and the viewer is almost never sure whether to believe Mulder or Boggs. Since most of the paranormal events could possibly be in either Boggs or Scully's mind, it's even an easy episode to accept as believable.

THIS EPISODE WANTS US TO BELIEVE IN: Ghosts, Psychic Powers.

BELIEVABILITY RATING: 8/10

I also like the way the roles were reversed in this one--for once, Mulder is the skeptic and Scully bears the burden of proof--a great way to break the formula that was quickly becoming cliche.
  • A man on death row claims to be a psychic and can help catch a serial killer

This episode was just brilliant when Boggs who claims he is psychic and catch a serial killer but its the other way around this time because Mulder doesn't believe but Scully does because her father had recently died and she had a strange encounter with him and Boggs was singing the same song that was on at the funeral.This episode really gets you thinking whether Boggs was working with the serial killer or he was really psychic but even though he did help them catch the killer and saved two people's lives Mulder still thought he was working with the serial killer but Scully believed but now we will never know.
  • Beyond the Sea

One of the most exciting and well written episodes of the season, this time giving full attention to Agent Scully, and covering topics such as clairvoyance, destination and spirits. In the story, at the same time that Dana has to deal with the death of his father and his recent appearances, trying to communicate something it also bears the status of a prisoner named Boggs, whose claims to have sighted and skills to help in the case a young couple kidnapped by an assassin. The plot is well developed and reaches great intensity at times of heavy drama or a sense of time being lost, but mainly on the themes to which he devoted himself. The seer, as shown here is frighteningly, by delivering the eyes of a specific individual the power to see through time (past, present and future) would be excluding the free will of man and giving him new opportunities to change their destination, unless such change is also already pre-determined, a real dead end. The connection with the troubled spirits Boggs is also very curious of the possibility that he would be the "glue" between the world of the living and the dead, but of course, facing severe consequences for it. Scully and Boggs, despite representing heroin and arrested crazy, have much in common, is in fact one of the other two creditarem hope something beneficial (if Dana wants help and know what his father would have said, as he or reducing the penalty of death), is painful in the contact they have with their families and vulnerable situation where they are. This correspondence seems to be at odds with the opposite pair of heroes, with Scully a believer and a skeptical Mulder (!). Packed with the most diverse predictions, we find it is very enjoyable, Scully together, they all became real and all sort of fits with the traditional questions that ask us directly for your answers, simply just do not be afraid to believe, as Scully said about herself about their beliefs. Intense, excellent suspense and constant premonitions, is one of the most intense episodes of the season!
  • Beyond the Sea

Beyond the Sea was another perfect and amazingly entertaining episode of The X-Files. The actors were all perfect in their roles and the guest stars Brad Dourif, and Don S. Davis really shined. It was great learning more about Scully and seeing her and Mulder's roles reversed as she began to believe a death row inmate whom Mulder helped to put away. Every thing was well done for the production of this episode. I loved the similarities to "Silence of the Lambs" and the ending was awesome. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Best episode of season 1. And an episode that hit close to home for me.

This is the best episode of season 1 and one of the best of the entire series. Both Gillian Anderson and Brad Dourif give terrific performances. Yes, the episode is VERY similar to Silence Of The Lambs. But that's okay with me. It had enough original elements in it that I was able to get past that. Also, the first time I saw this episode I had never seen SOTL, so that helped.

I had a very similar experience to the one Scully has at the beginning of this episode when she sees her father sitting across from her. When I was a boy I also saw my father standing in the doorway of the my bedroom. I sat up in bed and started talking to him but soon realized that it wasn't really him. I froze there, lying on my back staring up at the ceiling unable to move. I couldn't scream for help or move. It could very well have been a hulicination brought on by sleep poralysis. At least that's what the adult me tries to say to convince myself that I didn't really see what I saw. But try telling that to the 12 year old me. Back then I knew what I saw.

So, like Scully I too have had a hard time allowing myself to believe. I related to her plight in this episode, the delicate balance of being a person of science and rational thinking while at the same time being unable to deny what I had experienced.

This is one of the best Scully episodes, but Mulder is also in fine form. This episode adds depth to his character that previously had not been seen. Its good that Mulder isn't always the one who's willing to believe in the unbelievable. That charlatans and schysters like Boggs are where he draws the line. But it is Brad Dourif who really steals the show here. At first it seemed like he was just doing a Jack Nicholson impression, but that's not the case. This is probably the second best guest star in the history of the show, second only to Peter Boyle in Clyde Bruckmans Final Repose, an episode with a similar pshycic theme.

Clyde Bruckman is by far the best episode of the entire series, but let us not forget about Beyond the Sea, which I consider to be a true hidden gem of an episode. And the best of season 1.

• What? Since when is mulder a skeptic

4.5
    Mulder doesn't believe a phsychics claims? that mmay be an xfile on its own, especially since scully does believe. In this epp it's around christmas time and scullys family visits. scullys father (i believe his name is william) dies. The phsycic who also happens to be on death row sings a song that scullys dad had played at his funeral. She starts seeing the things taht the man discribes. Mulder is skeptical he helped put the man on death row and believes he is faking it just so he isn't put to death. he tricks the man by saying that a piece of an old tee shirt is evidence the man puts on a show.. or does he
  • Psychic Channelling

Wow! I cant put into words my feelings towards this amazing episode. When i first watched this i had just recently lost a loved one and upon watching this it touched me so deeply. Brad Dourif's performance is at the heart of this episode, it is awe-inspiring. He is such an underrated actor. I don't believe in "channeling" but he certainly made it look real! As a Scully centered episode it serves to showcase Gillian Anderson's talent. She amazed me in this, the emotion she portrays is so real you can almost grasp it. Glenn Morgan and James Wong wrote another masterpiece here.

It is easily the best episode of season one. Heck! One of the best episodes in the entire series run.

Scully: Im afraid to believe...
  • Scully - the believer.

Well, this was the greatest episode of this season. The writers did a very good job making Scully believe in the paranormal. Don S. Davis looked really scary just sitting on that chair and silently murmuring something. (P.S Rest in piece Don). Also it was really strange that Mulder was the BIG sceptic - so he and Scully exchanged places in this episode. I think it was a good decision that Dana did not hear the last thoughts of her father. And of course this was the first episode to have some sweet scenes between Scully and Mulder. So this episode had everything: spookiness, drama, character development and of course action.
  • Excellent episode With dark undercurrent of David Lynch Masterpiece

It's hard to imagine that this episode is actually 13 years old.

A good Scully based episode. Where we first meet the Scully's (well Scullys' Mum & Dad). The teaser starts off well, you hear the nicknames for the first time – Ahab and Starbuck – a clear Moby Dick reference to the sea and Scully's father is a retired captain. You see Maggie making a 'go-on tell her' face at William, but he makes idle chit-chat….. How's work? Etc.. And then they leave. So what exactly was it that Scully's dad wanted to say?

We then see her father sitting on a chair saying something but no sound can be heard, the phone goes and it's Scully's Mum…… Scully's father had died – so how could he have been sitting in the chair just prior to the phone call? – Was he a ghost/apparition?

It then switches to a parked car, two teenagers/kids obviously having fun in a parked car. Until they're interrupted by someone who clearly isn't the police. The lad gets smacked around the head and the girl screams…. You know something is amiss.

Having Brad Dourif (sp?) [Child'sPlay/Alien4] playing the convicted killer on death row is genius, he plays those types of character so, so well….
    A killer who claims to have inside knowledge of the kidnapping, even though he's locked up inside Prison. So how does he know so much? Is he really psychic? - here Mulder is the sceptical one…..

Noticeably Mulder calls Scully – Dana! "How are you Dana?" – strange.

Scully, the trooper she is, wants to work through, but Mulder is hesitant about her working on this case – clearly he does care for Scully, but she's determined and steadfast.

The scene on the waterfront with the Scully family…. 2 couples (Bill, Charlie and their respective spouses), 2 boys (must be Charlie's, as we later find out the Bill and his wife had been trying for years before they had a son Christmas Carol), Maggie and Scully. Scully clearly wants to know if her Dad was proud of her decision to join the FBI. Music in the background as the ashes are released to the water.
    Scully hears the funeral music again, when Mulder interviews Luther Boggs, Scully is unnerved by what she hears……. Boggs singing Bobby Darins 'Beyond the Sea'

Again.... It's Scully who notices the clues that Boggs gave out, leaves you thinking … does Boggs really have insight?
    It's unusual, it's normally Mulder who is the more receptive of the pair to the paranormal …

Scully gives a false statement in her report about finding the building….. which is so unlike Scully.... Mulder is shocked, not something he'd expect from Scully, but she's still seeing visions of her dead father. Clearly this has affected her more than Mulder is aware.

Mulder sets a classic trap, would Boggs fall for the newspaper report claiming to have found the kidnapped victims alive? Mulder would like to think so..... Instead Boggs calls Mulder on his mobile – how on earth did he get Mulders number? Are the FBI agents listed in the phone book?

Boggs is continuing with the mind games.

Mulder gives his 'deal' to Boggs, Boggs warns Mulder about blood on a white cross….. Mulder pooh-poohs the idea and of course Mulder is shot (in the leg I think) whilst chasing the suspect, after finding the girl alive.
    Scully sees the blood on the white cross……
    again Does Boggs have a psychic ability? Scully's the sceptical one….
    But she's' slowly being drawn in…. which is likely down to the death of her father. Her judgement is clouded and all logical reasoning went out the window…

It's then revealed that Lucas Henry and Luther Boggs worked together years before, Was that the reason why Boggs knew so much about the kidnapping?
    Scully confronts Boggs – Did Boggs really set up Mulder?

Scully again becomes unnerved when Boggs recounts part of her childhood, but Scully being Scully comes back with her usual quip – 'That could be anyones childhood'

Dourifs performance of Boggs is fantastic, he plays the killer extremely well, and he clearly shows that Boggs is terrified of facing death in the chair…..
    Is he scared of his victims or is he after atonement?

Here again in this episode Mulder and Scully reason things out together, you clearly see how their partnership has developed, even though it's still relatively new, they both value each other's views/opinions and their trust. Scully takes on board what Mulder is saying….
    Boggs does tell Scully where the lad is – again Is Boggs after atonement? Or does he wants a stay of execution?

Even though Scully lied to Boggs about a deal, he still gave Scully a caveat – Stay away from the devil.
    Scully leads the ways with the armed response team into the abandoned Brewery where the lad is being held, Lucas Henry walks across a bridge in front of a picture of the devil and he falls to his death.
    Would the armed response team really let Scully lead the way?

Boggs asks Scully to be his witness when he goes to the chair, he's terrified of his impending death and is disappointed when he sees that Scully isn't there. No more mind games to be played.

Touching scene at the end, Mulder asking why Scully cannot believe, she replies that she's afraid of the unknown, Scully would never know what her father had to say,
    Boggs had taken that to his grave. Scully telling Mulder at the end…. That she knew what her father had to say; after all she was his daughter.

I really liked this episode; it gave a great insight, into who exactly Dana Scully was, we got to see more of her character. She was a girl after acknowledgement from her father, we all want to be told that we did the right thing, that we chose the right path.
    We all want our parents approval for the choices we make in life.

A very respectful 10 out of 10.
  • Mulder is a skeptic and Skully is a believer? Great acting all around as Brad Dourif plays a psycho killer and Don Davis is Skully's father. Will the kidnapped students be rescued in time?

I liked it! First of all, as a big StarGate fan I liked seeing Don Davis in the role as Skully's dad. I'm rewatching these from the pilot and it's as though I'm seeing them for the first time. My son and I watched them all when they were orginally broadcast. The character of Boggs was truely evil. Skully's slow transformation to belief at the end as great. Would Skully go to the execution? Does she believe Boggs can give her her father's message. Only way you'll know is to watch it. Skully's admission that she is afraid to believe is very telling.
  • It all breaks down at the role reversal...

This episode is great. Really great. There are numerous points when it could have strayed into cloying sentimentality. But it always avoided this. Thank goodness. If the episode had ended with the gas bubbles spelling out “I'm proud of you, Starbuck” while Boggs choked to death... well, it would have been a different episode.

The most interesting episodes, for me, are the ones that place Scully as believer. If only because Mulder often seems far more intolerant to her beliefs that Scully is to his. Okay, not only for that. As has already been firmly established, Mulder wants to believe. Scully doesn't. And this is where the power of the episode lies. At the end of the day, Scully can use Boggs' tips to solve a crime or save a life, but she can't personally believe. It's a step too far.

It has frequently been said that no one involved in the production knows for definite whether Boggs really has any power. This would seem to be contradicted with the dramatisation of his vision, but there are moments of contradiction that do leave the viewer slightly unclear of where they should stand. For example, it seems quite obvious that Scully wouldn't be able to get a deal, so Boggs knowing this is hardly proof of psychic ability. But this is one of the things Scully is most taken in by. It's illogical, human and very satisfying to see.
  • A very touching episode. My personal favorite.

Somewhere...beyond the sea...

This episode was brilliantly written as a Scully centered episode. Gillian Anderson's acting in this is amazing.
    Scully has just lost her father, and feels very sensitive when a death row inmate can apparantly talk to dead people, channeling her recently deceased father. Brad Dourif's performance in this is excellent, eternally creepy and burned into my mind forever. This episode also has a twist Mulder is the sceptic and Scully the believer. Everything she believed so far will be challenged by this psychic,who knows what she wants the most in this world: Just one more second with her father.
  • This is by far one of my favorite episodes.

I watched the entire series, and while I can't say that I have an absolute favorite episode, this is one that always comes to mind when I'm asked which is my favorite. Maybe it's because I always did prefer the 'Monster of the Week' episodes over the 'Mytharc' episodes, or possibly because while I have an addiction when it comes to the paranormal, I'm also obsessed with real life monsters. Whatever the case may be, Boggs reminds me a lot of real life serial killers such as Ted Bundy or Edmund Kemper. Brad Dourif plays Luther Lee Boggs, a murderous psychopath who is sentenced to death for murdering his entire family over Thanksgiving dinner, then 'sat down to watch the fourth quarter of the Detroit/Green Bay game.' Once again, as with quite a few of his other roles, Mr. Dourif plays an amazing deranged sociopath. It was also extraordinary to see the roles of 'believer' and 'skeptic' reversed in Mulder and Scully. In their given parts, Mulder the believer and Scully the skeptic are, in my opinion, two of the best television characters ever written, and personally, I was skeptical about Scully believing in a paranormal event that Mulder was convinced was a hoax. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Gillian Anderson was able to portray the pain, disbelief, and finally acceptance incredibly accurately. And Mulder trying to expose Boggs' as a con was enjoyable to watch as well. All in all, a wonderful episode that fans of the show can love, and non-fans will greatly enjoy watching.
  • One of the very best

This is one of my all-time favorite episodes of "The X-Files". For several reasons.

It's an episode which puts Scully in the center. We've had a few episodes which have centered on Mulder earlier in the first season, but I think this the first one which focuses on Scully. It was nice to have an episode where Mulder is downplayed in favour of his partner, since most of the focus is usually on him because he is the believer. It was interesting to get a closer glimpse into Scully's life and mind.

This is also the first episode in which we see Scully's family. It does a good job of setting up her relationship with her father; the small scene where they have been over for dinner establishes their bond very effectivly without having to use a lot of dialogue. Though it doesn't do as good a job with the relationship between Scully and her mother. It almost seemed as if the relationship between them is strained, which I haven't sensed in later episodes. The death of Scully's father also brings some emotional depth to the episode. They handle her grief in a good way, keeping it visible but subtle. It moves you without going over the top. It's also quite interesting to see how Mulder acts around Scully in this episode. He doesn't seem to know how to treat her, as evident by her reaction when he calls her Dana, but it's clear that he cares a lot and that she knows that.

It's also an interesting episode in that it's the first where Mulder is skeptic and Scully believes. I like that they have an episode like that, because it makes the characters more dimensional. Mulder believes in the paranormal, but he doesn't believe everybody who says they have such powers. He's not just someone who blindly believes; he seems to have a pretty good idea of what qualifies as "true paranormal" in his mind. Scully on the other hand is a real skeptic, but sometimes doubts. Especially when she's emotional. Both Mulder and Scully have some character growth in this episode. Personally I don't believe in any form of alien life or paranormal activity, which has sometimes made me wonder how come I like this show so much. This episode is one of those that isn't necessarily about anything paranormal, and those episodes are usually my favorites. "Beyond the Sea" stands somewhere in-between; it's possible that Boggs was indeed psychic but it is also possible that he was only faking it. It's really up to the viewer to decide.

Speaking of Boggs, Brad Dourif was excellent in this episode. He is a terriffic actor, and this is one of his best performances. He made me care about Boggs, and made him very human and very afraid, yet at the same time you could see his darker side and the reason he was imprisoned. Dourif was probably one of the most important aspects of the episode, as it could have fallen flat with a lesser actor as Boggs.
  • “Last time you were that engrossed, it turned out you were reading the Adult Video News.”

Beyond the Sea is an excellent episode, certainly one of the seasons best offerings. This is the first episode to really explore Scully’s character. This the first apparent switch in roles between Mulder and Scully, with him playing the skeptic and her playing the believer, albeit, reluctantly. While this sort of twist could easily have turned the characters against themselves, the writing team makes this switch in viewpoint natural, even sensible, given Mulder’s previous connection to case, and the death of Scully’s father. Gillian Anderson gives an excellent performance, as the episode progresses you can see Scully’s growing internal conflict, her emotions boiling just under her skin. We are also shown many aspect of Scully’s character which define her, her rebellious streak as well as her strength of will and mind. This episode also does and excellent job of showing Mulder more as the man we come to know, overconfident to a fault, so sure of himself that when another truth is revealed beyond his own realm of understanding he is left vulnerable. Boggs, the antagonist in the episode, is chillingly evil, and yet, the most complex one-time bad-guy shown to date. This is an enjoyable episode, and a first season classic.
  • A great season 1 episode...

This was a great episode. It explored more about Scully and her life and feelings. I'm not sure what to make of the vision of her father or how Luther knew those things... This episode was well written and structured rihgt till the end. I didn't expect Bloggs to die, but i liked how Scully and Mulder swiched roles in this episode. She was the believer and Mulder was the sceptic, i think this episode really focuses on Scully and how she is greaving. I hope that more episodes are made like this. Glen Morgan and James Wong done a fine job with this episode. One of my favourite season 1 episodes.
  • This episode is nearly flawless. The death of Agent Scully's father, her subsequent visions, and the story of Luther Boggs is engaging and interesting. This episode is an icon for what the early seasons of the show are about.

This episode, and several others like it, is exactly what makes the first season work. This is an excellent marrying of a standard 'monster of the week' storyline which usually does not extend beyond one episode, but with serious character development and long-standing consequences. Agent Scully loses her father at the beginning of the episode and has visions of him several different times. At the same time, a death-row inmate comes forward with information on a serious kidnapping and potential murder that Mulder and Scully are currently investigating. In an attempt to keep himself from death row, Boggs makes it known that he can channel spirits and might be able to help them solve the case (of course, for a special favor). He leads Scully on an emotional rollercoaster that establishes her as a deeper character, and deepens her relationship with Mulder. The strength of this episode is Gillian Anderson. Her acting is superb and it is an excellent introduction into the depth of her character. She is really good here, and her Dana Scully really is established as a strong woman but who is still sentimental. This episode is one of the hallmarks of the first season and the series as a whole.
  • Good, but not a personal favourite

7.3
    Overall, this is a well written, well executed story, that builds on Scully's character. I didn't enjoy it a lot though, as it's a mainly static, talky story that offers little if any surprises or shocks. David Duchovny steps back a little to give Gillian Anderson the spotlight, and she does pretty well.
    Good episode, but not one for me.
  • Spooky Scully

What an interesting episode. The role-reversal alone is fascinating, and I have to admit that the ghosts of Boggs' past were a little creepy .. especially with the whispering. The actor who played Lucas was also quite convincing during his mad dance with the axe. The most intriguing aspect of this episode is Scully's complete inability to think scientifically and Mulder's stubborn refusal to even consider Boggs' allegations. Mulder is usually so willing to believe anything with even a modicum of proof - how did he hold up to even his skeptical partner's belief?

Answering my own question, I believe that his need to protect Scully in her moment of vulnerability caused him to overreact to what he perceived were attempts by Boggs to take advantage of that same weakness. At the same time, Scully's own skewed perception of the events of this case acted to completely dismantle her steady refusal to believe.

It's such a great dynamic. The last conversation between the two of them seems to indicate that Mulder, even in his refusal to believe, wants Scully to hold onto her own belief in face of opposition. And the Trivia section states that this is the first episode that they make mention of Mulder's fascination with pornography, but I don't believe that to be true. I seem to recall him looking at a centerfold and making a joke to Scully about the woman claiming to be an abductee.
  • This is one of my favorite shows of the series! This is by far one of the greatest episodes written. Also the fact that Scully isn’t the skeptical makes it even better.

Scully's father has an unexpected death right after leaving her house on the night after Christmas. To make things even stranger before she found out he was dead he appeared in her living room appearing to be trying to tell her something, but then the phone rings and Scully gets the news her father is dead. Then along comes the funeral with only close family. Just the way her father would have wanted it with his ashes spread across the ocean, and in the background Scully’s parents song, Beyond the Sea. Scully has a brief conversation about whether or not Scully’s father was proud of her for her life choices, and her mother’s reply is “He was your father.” Scully returns to work to start on another case, but Mulder is a little reluctant for Scully to join because of the short time from her father’s death. The case was about two teenagers who had gone missing, and were thought to have been taken by a man that tends to torture their victims for a certain amount of time before killing them. And of course to make it an X-file there is a man named Boggs in jail who claims to be able to see what the killer is doing though his eyes and that he is a physic. Mulder thinks the man is a liar because of his criminal past for killing his entire family, but Scully is soon to believe because after a session of questioning the man starts to sing her parents song also he gives exact directions to where the killer had been. She follows Boggs instructions to find the killer, but then Boggs also offers her the chance to speak with her father, but only if she can get him off of death roe so she tries, but fails. She returns to him with the news, but luckily he says that because she at least tried and didn’t lie about it she can still talk with her father and soon gives them news about the place where they catch the killer and save the teens. And when she is supposed to go to talk to her father she decides against it. When Mulder asks her why she replies, “He was my father”. His little Starbuck.
  • Lukewarm

6.6
    This wasn't my favorite but it wasn't bad. It has the typical X Files strange vibe that makes the show so enjoyable. I like the creepy element of the beginning ( Scully's father is talking but is mute). I also like the psychic story line behind it. Scully's vulnerable side seems to be revealed, while Mulder has common sense in this episode ( very un-Mulder like). The death row inmate adds a nice touch and is very creepy. I like the ending and Scully's discovery about herself.
  • Prison Breakdown

Before this episode, Scully was very much a right-hand woman to Mulder, who was by far the lead character. Beyond the Sea changes that, with an episode that manages to evolve on Scully herself, and bring some added depth to her opinions on the supernaturally unknown.

This episode is best known for a scene-stealing guest performance by Brad Dourif, who plays a psychic prison inmate on death row. He is perfect in the role, and doesn't overdo either his madness or his manipulation of Scully. Gillian Anderson is also extraordinary in this episode, and it's definitely her first chance to shine in a season that's almost entirely focused on Mulder. Like Dourif, she doesn't over-dramatize Scully's emotional conflict, and her final revelation of being too scared to "believe" is one of Anderson's best performances in all nine seasons of the show.

The episode also has a really strong visual look, especially in the scenes involving Boggs. Whilst other series with psychic visions rely on flash-photography and quick shots and colors, Boggs' visions are full camera shots which just appear randomly. I also loved the shots of Boggs walking to the execution chamber, with the spirits and ghosts following him with their eyes, studying his every move. It's a terrifying moment, and a classic image.

Writers James Wong and Glen Morgan have managed to create an episode that doesn't let its complex narrative confuse the audience, instead making it a unique experience for the viewer, in that we manage to feel sympathy for the imprisoned psychopath, and almost feel scared for him when facing up to his own inner demons.

Director: David Nutter
    Writers: Glen Morgan, James Wong
    Rating: A+
  • Scully tries to figure out her relationship with her dead father and believes a phycic on a case

This show was amazing. Everything was good about it. Finally,even though i love her to death, Scully wasn't the skeptical. The storyline was very well written. That was one of the best episodes I've ever seen. I love the entire show anyway. But, this episode was close and personal with Scully and her father. I like that because it makes you feel like you know the character. Also it keeps you wondering if the guy is who he really is. And it has the perfect ending. It shows you that it really didnt matter, she knew he loved her. Exellent episode!
  • Scully wants to believe in this one

This is my favorite Season 1 episode. I think it is the first one where Scully really believes and Mulder is skeptical. It was very suspenseful and Boggs was scary but at the same time we felt for him. The scene where he starts singing "Beyond the Sea" is very cool. Scully is totally freaked out. Mulder is also good in this episode - i liked the scene with the T-shirt which Mulder tries to expose Boggs as a fraud by giving him a piece of his own T-shirt. This episode really developed Scully's character -showing us that she is not totally dependent on science, but can be drawn in to believe alternate explanations.
  • Beyond The Sea introduces Scully's family into the show, deals with the death of her father, has a riveting performance by both her and Brad Dourif, and remains one of the shows highlights. A must see.

Scully: You set us up. You're in on this with Lucas Henry. This was a trap for Mulder because he helped put you away. Well, I came here to tell you that if he dies because of what you've done, four days from now nobody will stop me from being the one that'll throw the switch and gas you out of this life for good, you son of a *****
    Boggs: Dana...You're the one who believed me.
    Scully: No! No, I do not believe you!

This is the episode that really belongs to Scully. The Jersey Devil tried, but this one really delivers. Who's it by? Wong and Morgan, the duo I mentioned in a previous review are amongst the absolute best writers of this show. The above lines of dialogue are but a small example of why. This is the episode where Scully wants to believe and almost does, until the final moments of the show. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this episode, it is near perfection, and is a must see for any fan of the show.

Oh, and it's the first mention of Mulder's porn obsession.
  • A must see for any TV watcher and Sci-Fi fan

Beyond the Sea is a must see X-Files episode, and it is my number one favourite episode in season one. Skully’s Dad (the guy from Stargate SG-1) dies. And then Mulder and Skully investigate a prisoner who is on death row, claims to be clairvoyant. The duo pass him off as a fake until Skully’s Dad comes threw, then the prisoner continues to help Skully find a murderer. But then the prisoner is executed because there is no evidence to show that he helped Skully. This is a great episode, as we see more in to Skully’s personal life and it’s a great piece of writing. A must see for any TV watcher and Sci-Fi fan.
  • Scully just might be starting to believe the impossible.

The opening to this episode is actually quite moving, as it is revealed that Scully has an obviously loving mother, but a rather distantly loving father, who seems unable to really communicate with her on an emotional level.

His sudden death and Scully's vision of him trying to speak to her, which may be a dream or an actual out of body experience for him, makes her doubt some of her firmly held scientific beliefs and wonder if there isn't something inexplicable out there that can't be couched in her comfortable, normal existence.

Along comes Boggs, a death-row inmate with a seemingly uncanny ability to 'know' certain things about recent crimes. Stranger than that though is his apparent knowledge or connection with Scully's father - he knows things, knows her nickname, and sings Beyond the Sea, which was played at her parents' wedding.

So for (I think) the first time, we have Mulder playing the sceptic and Scully wanting to believe, even though she's terrified of believing.

An episode that is much about character, with the crime and the investigation much more secondary. I liked it a lot. And when Scully finally explodes at Boggs, Gillian Anderson really begins to let us know that Scully is not just a foil for Mulder, but a strong and very complex character in her own right.

And a word about Brad Dourif. It feels as though he's made a career out of playing these types of character, and I doubt if even he would ever claim he's the good looking leading man hero actor. He is just so good at it. Boggs is truly unsettling (kudos to the writers here too - they don't get enough of a mention). I don't know what Brad Dourif is like in real life, but he inhabits his characters so well that I think I'd be a bit afraid of meeting him!
  • Inmate Luther Lee Boggs tries to "help" the agents find a killer and in the process brings Scully face to face with what she thought she knew...and what she thought she could deny.

Wonder why I give it a ten? Because of all the episodes of Season 1, I can watch this one over... and over... and OVER again. That's the real power of good television--to be so engrossed in a fine story that you can overlook any little follies (ok, so ONE continuity error in this episode is nothing compared to all the horribly edited crap that's on TV now).

The plain and simple truth is Luther Lee Boggs (or Brad Dourif, rather) steals the show. Entirely. Such a perfect acting performance there never was! You even find yourself a little angry with Mulder for ragging on the killer because you are like Scully--you believe. And in the end you sympathize with Boggs, not because he saved Scully & the boy, but because he saved them and didn't *have* to. He could have gone back to "that chair" as evil as ever, knowing he didn't get his deal, knowing his life would end once and for all, but no. Instead he gets a fleeting redemption and perhaps one good memory to take with him to that cold dark place he's dreaded for years. A big part of me wanted Scully to hear her father's message but I guess that's just good writing at work--we know that's exactly how Scully wanted and needed it to be. Congrats to everyone on this wonderful episode!
  • is it real or is it Dourif?

This is one of these rare episodes where the extra steals the show in a major way. There are pleanty of clues to go around, but in the end, as Fox and Dana go by the umbers, the deck is reshuffled and the results are confusing to all who watch.
    The con artist seems to be exposed, however the clues left behind, seem to open more then one door. As the episode plays out we see Brad Dourif shine more and more, and the so called bad man is trying to pay for his sins, but will it be enough?

The open end, and the confusiong clues are a gem, as it opens us to think in many ways. What a great episode this was.
< 1 2