The X-Files

Chimera

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 02, 2000 on FOX

• Chimera

Chimera was a perfect and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, the characters intriguing and the editing was superb. I liked how Mulder and Scully were on a stake out watching prostitutes and Mulder just left Scully there to pursue an X-File. Their phone conversations were hilarious and very in-tune with the character's personalities. I liked how every thing played out and there was definitely some small town drama happening. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Mulder looks into a case involving broken mirrors, ravens and dead people.

Looking through these reviews, I saw many people lauding the show's return to the classic "Monster of the Week" style of episodes, and while I agree that I liked the laid-back feel of the episode, I didn't like it with the same fervor that other people did.

The episode focuses mostly on Mulder after Skinner calls him onto a case where a woman's disappearance is made more mysterious by the presence of broken mirrors and a raven. Mulder visits the household of the Sherriff and stays there, meeting his wife, a worried woman who was friends with the victim and has a child.

The episode works well because David Amann, the writer, refuses to just let things unfold as normal episodes would. Instead, he keeps us on our toes, not letting us know who the true culprit is until the very end, and even then, we're left wondering how it happened, meaning a second watch may be necessary to track everything. But it's definitely an enjoyable episode, one that I thought was quite good but not necessarily a highlight of Season 7.
  • An exciting and frightening MOTW. Hey, are we back in Vancouver?! Yay!

This episode is a great MOTW for Season 7. I was trying to learn to suppress my disappointment that every location for the X-Files seems to have changed from Maine, or some other dreary New England area to Los Angeles and other California locales. But here we are, with gloomy weather and drizzling rain that forces David Duchovny to shield his hair from the weather. HOorah! It felt like we were back in Vancouver. This episode could just as easily have been in an earlier season. Although there is less Scully, which works against the rating, I really enjoy the fact that this episode seems to go back to the old creepy standalone times of the X-Files. Also, "Not in the widely understood sense of that term." I like that line because it shows that in Mulder's mind, he is with Scully. And then of course, he goes right into his human lie detector amazing phenomenon show of awesome detective work skills!
  • Martha's Monster

7.8
    With so many poor and disappointing episodes littering Season Seven, this back-to-the-basics MOTW episode arrives late in the season like a breath of fresh air. Too bad the series needed a gale-force wind to save itself by this time.

The writing is surprisingly clever for Amann, who is generally considered one of the series' lesser writers. The revelation of the monster's true identity is a surprise, although this surprise is achieved in part by the use of a cheat. Ellen is chased by the monster midway through the episode, which would have been impossible since they share the same physical body, as demonstrated when Ellen notices the stab wound on her back. Now, I realize that only the monster's mirrored reflections are shown as it chases Ellen through the house, but she is carrying her baby and running AWAY from the mirrors, while the reflected monster is shown moving forward with nothing in its arms.

Duchovny easily carries the episode, despite Anderson's relative absence, and he does so with an easy, laconic humor. He seems relaxed and in control, which is a change from the pinched, disjointed performances that he delivers through most of Season Seven. My only gripe is that the writers again rely WAY too much on the use of the telephone to tie Scully into the action, which has become an overused cliche since Darin Morgan introduced this plot device so brilliantly in "Coprophages."
  • A decent monster-of-the-week with enough character development to distinguish it, but not much else.

"Chimera" is a decent follow up to "En Ami." We get a pop-psychology approach to Mulder through his stay with a suburban family. Mulder is portrayed as somewhat pathetic, and not used to having anyone take care of him. Like in his dream in "Amor Fati" he enjoys the creature comforts of such a life, but here, he doesn't fall into it as a trap. He now understands his place in life. After helping the imaginary boy in his dreams rebuild the spaceship in the sand and then the discovery of his sister in "Closure," he has had to redefine his journey. In "Theef" we see that he still enjoys his investigations into the paranormal and they are still fulfilling to him. The fact that he is quick to abandon Scully is a nice nod to the end of "En Ami" when Mulder, for the first time, felt abandoned by Scully. As confirmed by the very next scene with Skinner, he doesn't really care about his new case and probably was more interested in the one he was on. The actual investigation does take an interesting turn. It provides a somewhat normal and satisfying explanation for everything happening. It falls into a familiar category, though. Most of the villains in tv and the x-files are men. Here, we get a female villain, but like the one in "Schizogeny," she is only acting out of her repressed emotions, as she, herself is a victim. It's sad that we can't have more Lucy Butler's on tv. Overall, a decent MOTW with some decent character development, but not as engrossing or insightful as "Theef."
  • The dark side of small town suburbia – A really great episode.

The intro is certainly freaky – the ravens then she staggers back straight into that thing behind her.

Mulder and Scully are actually working a real case, even though it sounds like it could be a potential X-File. "No, really, what'd I do?" Hilarious how Scully keeps phoning and harassing Mulder. Loved how Mulder was staying with Ellen and Phil, I really like Ellen.

When Ellen pries gently about whether Mulder has a girlfriend, I loved his response to the 'significant other' question: "Not in the widely understood definition of that term, no."

The sheriff is a real piece of work – having an affair with not one woman but two. Loved the story about the ravens, the breaking mirrors etc. The answer turns out to be far less supernatural than it appeared, a variation of multiple-personality, but still a great one. Ellen must be a natural witch, having dormant powers she called upon when threatened.

Really enjoyed this episode, the dark side of small town suburbia.
  • Admit It, We All Knew Martha Stewart Was a Flesh-Eating Monster

Like last season's Arcadia, this is another X-Files episode which looks at the darker side of suburbia, with Mulder and Scully unraveling the dark secrets behind the apparent Martha Stewart-perfection of a small, white-bread community.

Chimera has Mulder investigating the murder of a suburban housewife, a killing which is connected to sightings of ravens, deformed monsters and broken mirrors. Meanwhile, Scully is stuck with a stake-out mission.

I usually reach for the remote whenever an episode has our two leads split up but this worked really well. With Gillian Anderson mostly absent from the story, due to scheduling problems with All Things, it's up to David Duchovny to head the investigation into suburban murder. I'm usually annoyed by Mulder but he was pretty good in this episode, plus he got to have a fun fight sequence with the monster of the week, which is always a bonus.

Speaking of such monster... wow. The special effects team were obviously working overtime with it and it completely paid off, looking generally awesome throughout the episode. The quick shots of it toward the beginning creeped the hell out of me whilst the full-on attack sequence in the motel was like something out of a horror movie.

I loved how this episode had tons of plausible suspects. I thought the sheriff was suspicious from the start and I wasn't expecting it to turn out to be his wife. With a ton of red herrings and a cool finale, this is an excellent X-File from start to finish and massively underrated.

Rating: A
  • A haunted house-wife, a despicable husband, and a slew of ravens cause headaches for Mulder. But he's still better off then Scully, stuck babysitting prostitutes by telescope.

With the exception of times it was needed due to the actors being unavailable, the "let's seperate Mulder and Scully and see how they function alone" shows never set me on fire. Luckily, the case Mulder investigates is a nice nest of twists of turns, and is actually disturbing and creepy. Scully gets the shaft for the episode, relegated to filler time, to the degree that you pretty much could have cut her all together and not missed much.
    Still, totally watchable and entertaining.
  • This episode goes back to the roots of the X-files of old. Best Monster of the week for Season 7.

This has to be the scariest X-file i have ever seen as well as one of the most clever too.Season 7 has mostly been mythology and comedic episodes with few scary episodes.Nothing's scared me this season till this episode came along.

Ellen Adderly is a house wife with a new born child and a loving husband in a nice neighbourhood.Yet despite all her perfection she cant keep her husband from cheating on her and so that causes her to be in denial.She doesn't want nothing else and somehow through all this denial she is able to manifest into a evil being.

The episode wanted you to believe it was anyone apart from her and when i found out she was the cause of all the killings i felt amazed.No X-Files has been this decieveing in such a long time.The inclusion of the raven,evils companions,helped to further decieve the way the episode was heading.

One of the most successful horror episodes i have seen in such a long time which should be on another season as it will get lost in all the comedy and mythology episodes of this season.