The X-Files

Chimera

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 02, 2000 on FOX

• Mulder looks into a case involving broken mirrors, ravens and dead people.

Looking through these reviews, I saw many people lauding the show's return to the classic "Monster of the Week" style of episodes, and while I agree that I liked the laid-back feel of the episode, I didn't like it with the same fervor that other people did.

The episode focuses mostly on Mulder after Skinner calls him onto a case where a woman's disappearance is made more mysterious by the presence of broken mirrors and a raven. Mulder visits the household of the Sherriff and stays there, meeting his wife, a worried woman who was friends with the victim and has a child.

The episode works well because David Amann, the writer, refuses to just let things unfold as normal episodes would. Instead, he keeps us on our toes, not letting us know who the true culprit is until the very end, and even then, we're left wondering how it happened, meaning a second watch may be necessary to track everything. But it's definitely an enjoyable episode, one that I thought was quite good but not necessarily a highlight of Season 7.