The X-Files

Chinga

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 08, 1998 on FOX

7.8
  • Chinga Tu Dolly

Oh my, I hope they didn't pay more than scale to Stevo for this utter dud of an episode. Thoroughly, painfully unoriginal. The story is a combination of two old Twilight Zone episodes ("Talking Tina" and "It's a Good Life") with a dash of "Chucky" thrown in. For shame.

It's not even scary, which is a pretty damning thing when you hire the supposed Master of Horror. I actually laughed out loud at the opening supermarket scene when everyone started clawing at their eyes like so many minimum wage Alice Cooper impersonators. I'm guessing that they blew their budget on hiring the Master of Horror, since the "bloody eyes" effect seemed to have been accomplished with nothing more than red tempra paint. Shockingly amateurish looking.

Even worse, in my eyes, is that someone (probably Carter) steals Darin Morgan's "dueling telephones" bit that he used in "Coprophages" to include a presumably-absent Mulder in the episode through a series of short telephone exchanges between he and Scully. It's cute but not nearly as funny or effective as it was in "Coprophages."

They really sexed up Scully for this episode. A tight T-shirt, windswept hair, a bare leg lifted from a luxurious bubble bath - Scully has never looked more seductive. In turn, they transform Mulder into a sort Spicoli/Ferris Bueller character, with him watching a mindless "When Animals Attack" style show on TV, spiking pencils on the ceiling and generally acting like a buffoon. It's all a bit overdone.

For some reason, the writers seem intent on making sure Scully has a male sidekick to lean on, as she is followed around throughout the episode by the local Sheriff, who actually does very little. It's a strange plot device, one that I think is relied upon too much.

Oh, and the Melissa character is THE most annoying character ever to appear in an X-File episode. She has exactly one expression - that of abject horror, and she uses this same expression, unchanged, through each and every scene. She is like a Kabuki doll. When she started whacking her own head with a hammer, I cheered and hoped she wouldn't stop.

One final note. I am incredulous that NO ONE would have picked up that Chinga was a naughty word. Maybe it's because I grew up in Los Angeles, but I thought that it's meaning was common knowledge to most people. I have to believe that King chose it intentionally. Where else would he have gotten it?