The X-Files

Deep Throat

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 17, 1993 on FOX

• Jerry Hardin was one of the best casting decisions

So many elements made this show what it was, and one of them was casting. You couldn't have picked a better actor to play "Deep Throat", and picking any differently would have generated a weaker brand of conspiracy. He was so mysterious and layered, which left fans wondering to whom his allegiances were. This episode builds on the solid foundations of the pilot.
  • great episode

We get introduced to some good charactrers and the chemistry betwen Scully and Mulder is awsome. Also we get to see UFO's.
  • The first conspiracy!

its not quite the finest example, but always worth it for the introduction of Mulder's informant, Deep Throat. He appears warning Mulder to stay away from a case he has discovered involving a military test pilot who has disappeared from a base notorious with UFO nuts. It gets a little bit far fetched at times, but like the pilot, it does okay setting up a common thread that will run through the upset the military or expect to find out anything they're hiding!
  • Worth Watching Just For Seth Green

Another conerstone theme: the government not only knows about aliens, but also uses alien technology for its own evil by golly, Mulder has a chance to prove it in this one!

As in the pilot episode, it's not really the main plot that outlandish, but everything else that happens around the plot. Everyone around there knows about the secret airbase and what goes on there, but the government gets quite antsy when Spooky starts poking around. No problem, they'll just give him a mind-wipe and everything's okay (I assume the mind-wipe was learned from the aliens as The scene involving Scully picking up Mulder from the Air Force base at gunpoint was the ridiculous exclamation point on this predictable even steals the car, although there's armed guards standing right there.

Oh well, it's great to see Seth Green playing a little, geeky much a cameo role for him!

THIS EPISODE WANTS US TO BELIEVE IN: The government has alien technology; mind-wipes.

BELIEVABILTY RATING: 4/10

Once again, an acceptable theme burdened by an unbelievable script.
  • The truth behind an air force base.

When Mulder is contacted by one of his only trustworthy friends Deep Throat he goes to a US air force base looking for answers Mulder manages to see the truth the government are trying hard to conceal but is taken down within seconds It was a good ending when Deep Throat tells Mulder they have been here for a long time.
  • Mulder and Scully investigate conspiracy in US Air Force base

Mulder comes close to the truth of the US air force base when its taken away from him when he managed to get into the base after many attempts.Mulder knew something was going on after he was ordered by a man people call Deep Throat and when he got in he saw the UFO fly and stopped right above him.As soon as Mulder saw it he was taken down by some men from the base and taken away from the base.It still remains a mystery about the ship.
  • Deep Throat

Deep Throat was a perfect and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was well written, intriguing, and full of mystery. I also enjoyed seeing guest star Seth Green play the part of a stoner dude. I liked that the show confronted this topic upfront and actually did an outstanding job in pulling it off. The characters became more established as they were confronted by various circumstances. This episode definitely adds to the classic feel of the first season so far. I was shocked that Mulder had his memory erased and that so much happened in only the second episode. I liked the ending where Mulder and his confidential informant had a conversation. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Deep Throat

The second episode '''deep throat''' of the X-Files with the continued high levels of Paranormal, Mysteries, Governmental encumbered, space invader, the episode was very good bid of military technology are working with Flying Saucers and the fact they have erased the memory of Mulder and also the first appearance of Deep Throat (Deep Throat) Prime Mulder's Informant Besides being the second case for Mulder and Scully, so'''Deep throat''' should always be among the best episodes of the X files!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • An episode dedicated entirely to UFO's... and the conspiracy starts to invade the atmosphere.

An FBI agent chasing after UFO's, sounds crazy, and it certainly won't be the last time. Since the beginning of this episode the plot intensifies the paranoia atmosphere, as we finally know Deep Throat, a mysterious character that works in a high position in the government and is interested in Mulder's work. Which work is that? Get the truth known. But Mulder doesn't trust him, obviously. Despite the advice of DP, Mulder still goes to chase his UFO. Scully was, once again, as we saw it in the pilot, decieved by her partner who doesn't tell what are they really investigating (supposedly a kidnap, which Scully actually finds odd due to the not-paranormal nature of the case).

Anyway, this episode is just about what the show wants to be: goverment conspiracies that don't allow Mulder to discover the truth. We see men in black that erase the memory of the people who watched things they souldn't, we see a stronger relationship betwen Scully and Mulder and we get to see Mulder's encounter with a giant UFO! And, at the end, that mysterious Deep Throat... something is not right...
  • It's a shame they didn't have another 15 minutes

Look! It's Deep Throat! Look how intriguing and charming he is! You really can't help but like Deep Throat, even in those moments when you want to batter his head against the wall. But that comes later.

Mulder is after The Truth, and if he finds said truth via stoners or greedy opportunists, then so be it. At this point you need to keep telling yourself that Mulder knows many things you don't, so maybe it will all make sense in the end.

The conspiracy with military personnel is well handled, though the wife's reaction at the end comes across as rather melodramatic and unsympathetic. Clearly something is wrong, but from the behaviours displayed, it seems he needs help rather than condemnation. Perhaps if there had been a little more of a sense of rage, which was underlying, then you'd have more sympathy for his wife. But to the main plot, with Mulder and Scully and big flying triangles. That's what we all want to see, and it's quite amazing that we have seen a spacecraft this early in the series. It's not entirely clear what Mulder wants from the UFO. He clearly doesn't want it to take him, but logic is screaming "leg it, Mulder. This will lead to no good!" Perhaps it's just a measure of his desperation to do something to risky and likely futile.

Meanwhile, Scully is sussing the fake journalist and ensuring that right is done. At least to a point. It's an episode that shows that Mulder's methods will only get them so far. They need to follow Deep Throat's advice if they want to find out anythign of value. And that's not easy for Mulder to accept.
  • A great episode overall.

Well i personally loved this episode! It was a great follow up from the series pilot and it has just left me wanting more. We got to meet a new character, Mulder's intriguing new source of help who's called by the name "Deep Throat". There where so many cover-up incidents in this episode that my mind nearly went into conspiracy overload! The overall performance from the cast was outstanding and i was very happy with the character development of Scully, her character is determined to believe only in science but you can see her slowly starting to recognise that there may be other forces out there. I only wish that this episodes ending was slightly longer so it could be shown in more detail.
  • fascinating and atmospheric

With this dark and atmospheric episode The X-Files continue to focus on the main mytharc of the series. After the alien abductions that were introduced on the Pilot episode, Deep Throat deals with the use of UFO technology by the military, a very interesting subject that is presented perfectly without giving much away. But beside its smart plot, another reason why Deep Throat is such an iconic episode is because it introduces us to the titular "Deep Throat", a character that will play an important role in the first season and whose motives are still unclear. The episode has many powerful moments, one of my favorites is when Mulder and Scully are watching the lights on the sky and of course the image of Mulder on the runway with the UFO hovering above him is classic. I also love how bad ass Scully is in this episode, she's really awesome.
    All in all a great episode, one of the best from the first season.
  • Hello Deep Throat

In deep throat mulder is approached by a man in a bar. He tells mulder to stay away from the case he's on. Mulder decides not to and heads to ellen's air base to investigate the disapearance of a test pilot. The pilot returns as they are in the middle of their investigation, but his wife claims that he is not her husband. They learn that the air base is a popular place for ufo sightings. Mulder and scully go to a restricted area to watch the "light show". Eventually the military finds out. they chase mulder, scully, and some stoned kids out of the area. Mulder goes back, but gets caught.
    In my opinion one of the best epps ever.
  • The introduction of a classic character.... and the X-Files really gets underway

The X-Files series (for me) really begins with Deep Throat. The two leads are better defined, and Deep Throats mysterious character, and his introduction is well handled.

Mulder and Scully investigate the disappearance (and the later reappearance) of a test pilot. Its actually interesting to think about, but the first three episodes of the X-Files, a series mainly about aliens and alien abduction, dont really have anything to do with aliens at all!! "Deep Throat" is more about UFO technology and government cover-ups, and its all very well handled. Everything is left ambiguous.... were the lights in the sky that Mulder and Scully really aircraft based on UFO technology, or merely lasers being shone from the ground (in Scullys words)? Was Mulders memory selectively erased or not? Like a lot of the earlier episodes of the show, there are cases for both Mulders and Scullys take on events.

As for Deep Throat, he is a great character (as later episodes will prove) and here he is limited to a scene at the start and the end of the show, the second one really hinting at his role in future epidoees.

All in all, much better than nearly all of the UFO/Alien abduction based shows of Season One. Certainly better than "Conduit".
  • This one marks the mithology

Another case about aliens? Who cares! Aliens were the reason of the mithology! Keep them coming. This is a very good episode too.
    We meet Mulder's first informant, Deep Throat, who will become the informant who I believe helped Mulder and Scully the most and probably died for it. I understand Mulder's obsession for the truth but he goes very far. I mean, how obsessed a man can be that he doesn't care if he loses everything, if he dies? When Chief Blevins put Scully in Mulder's way, he never thought that he was doing Mulder a favor instead of putting his career in danger or getting rid of him. Scully keeps her mind focused in what she was hired for: reporting everything she sees in the field but and the same time she covers for Mulder, she worries for him and she goes trough some personal dilemma between telling her bosses the truth or keep her mouth shut and stay loyal to Mulder.
    In the end, it was a good episode, where you get to know the characters a little bit more and for being the second episode I thought it was strong.
    LG
  • A definite step up from the pilot; in fact, this should have been THE pilot!

The pilot episode was okay, but nothing earth shattering. But this episode - much more what I would classify as an episode of X-Files.

The chemistry betweeen Scully and Mulder is much better than in the previous episode, mostly because Gillian Anderson stepped up her performance(though still lags behind Duchovny)

and the "episodic" mystery is much more interesting, mind bogging and creepy. It's not even episodic as I beleive this kicks off the show's serialised arc.

There's only on reason it doesn't get higher score and that is because it was somewhat predictable, especially the ending. But other than that, a series defining episode . .
  • Deep throat enters the stage

Deep throat, what an interesting guy, huh? He could be an angel who knows. He usually shows up in the strangest of places and leaves without a darn trace. Mulder seems to overlook the fact that he comes out of nowhere and decides to listen to all of his warnings and crazy stories. I think Mulder should question him more (ok, that is what he will do in upcoming episodes)I don't like the base they use here, it doesn't look like one. It is cheap and unreal. The rest of the episode is just marvelous. I couldn't remove my eyes form the screen.
  • If you were not already sucked into X-Files by the pilot this episode will finish the job.

Thus it begins, X-Files Mythology tree starts with a bang. UFO's, secret bases, brain washing, and an introduction to one of my favorite side character in the X-Files, Deep Throat. This episode really introduces you to how truly skeptical Scully is of Mulder and his beliefs. They both see things in this episode that defy what we define as "normal" and it really shows how well Mulder and Scully balance each other out even though Mulder still doesn't trust her.

Seth Green was in this episode too and he brought some comical relief to an otherwise serious episode. He also really represented for me how well comedy really fits into this show and really takes it to a new level.

This episode is the true beginning of the mythology tree for the X-Files and it sets up for one hell of a interesting storyline.
  • My second favorite recurring character is Deep Throat. This is a personal favorite episode of mine.

It is easy, after viewing the excellently done pilot of the X-Files, to think that it is one of the many series that has a kickin' first episode and then falls completely flat. Thankfully, this is not the case with the X-Files. Deep Throat is an excellent followup to the pilot, and it introduces the first of the 'insider informants' who are such a huge part of the conspiracy Mulder and Scully are fighting. Jerry Hardin is just about perfect as the enigmatic but paternal Deep Throat, who tries to warn Mulder off a controversial case regarding an Air Force test pilot who develops a strange psychosis and is 'hospitalized' by the military only to return with no recollection of his family, his previous assignments, or what strange test aircraft the Air Force has in their possession. Obviously, the possibility of alien technology is high and Mulder, in his infinite curiosity cannot help stumbling onto it and his first (of many) bouts of government trouble. This episode serves to streamline the series and establish the general gist of the show: Mulder believes, Scully doesn't; the government cannot be trusted; and Scully will miss just about everything cool relating to aliens until halfway through the second season. On a side note, it is probably best to watch the frist two episodes together, as a large chunk immediately following them are stand alone episodes that do not have a lot of conspiracy plot lines in them. Happy viewing!
  • My personal pilot episode... my personall all time favorite, this is the escence of THE X-FILES!

This was the fist one I ever have seen. Therefore this was my personal pilot-episode... and thank god, couse the pilot is nice but not that (!) good. This was also interesting for it was one of those non-paranormal and non-supernatural episodes. It was simply a great political-conspiracy-thriller. Till this day I reacall the chills I had when Deep Throat finally said: Mr Mulder, they are here for a very long time!

This episode is my all time favorite... the beginning, the REAL beginning of the mythology episodes! The scenes when Mulder encountered the military made UFO were simply awesome and when he got dragged through the hangar with this UFO beeing worked on! This was why I watched it for seven more years... and this episode is, why I now returned to this series, to buy and watch it all over again... till the bitter end of "The Truth" and hopefully a second feature film. Mr Carter... dont Fight the Future... "Create the future" ;)
  • One of the best episodes of season 1.

We get a full magic show of Chris Carter's writing abilities in this episode, much like the pilot. You get Mulder's suspicions going through the roof as usual, you have Scully being wanting to protect Mulder from himself. And as the government conspiracy comes to fruition, Mulder denies the government in order to find the truth. A true episode of The X-Files!! You can't get much better than this. If you want true sci-fi magic, the X-Files episode "Deep Throat" takes you into the world of government conspiracy that has to do with alien technology being used on military airplanes in about 45 minutes. A great episode.
  • Mulder is relentless!

This episode mainly focuses on Mulder trying to find explanations for several different UFO pictures. He stops at unbelievable lengths to get this information.

This episode also builds the relationship between Fox Mulder and Dana Skully. This episode ends up being about a government conspiracy trying to prevent Mulder from finding real answers. The search for these answers end up with Mulder getting kidnapped and anesthetized. It was a phenomenal episode. Overall, this episode was a very important one. It builded the relationship with Dana Skully and Fox Mulder and also showed us how relentless Mulder is about finding the truth.
  • "Sucker"

The first episode of the X-Files series proper is very impressive, which is no easy task. It is a rare thing to find a show with such a strong beginning. This episode, as the title suggests, introduces the characters and the viewing audience to Deep Throat, Mulder’s most beloved source of information. In Deep Throat we are introduced to myth-arc plot lines which run throughout all nine seasons of The X-Files, the vast government conspiracy is first hinted at and this is also the first, but certainly not the last, time where Mulder’s enthusiasm and willingness to believe in anything is used by one of his informants. At this point in time Mulder and Scully’s characters are still being developed as is their relationship with each other, although, they are much closer here to their eventual selves than in the Pilot. The episode actually features an early scene of an X-Files mainstay, Mulder and Scully banter. This episode is highly entertaining while dealing with the nitty, gritty intricacies of the oft confusing myth-arc. Mulder’s close encounter with an alien vessel is also one of the more memorable and iconic X-Files scenes as is his conversation with Deep Throat in the episodes final scene, a scene which essentially defines the entire series. Mulder: They’re here aren’t they?
    Deep Throat: Mr. Mulder, They’ve been here for a long, long time.
  • "Sucker"

Deep Throat: Mr. Mulder, They’ve been here for a long, long time.
  • "Mr. Mulder, they've been here for a long, long time."

The second episode of The X-Files is quite a special episode for different reasons. I was really surprised that this early in the who we get to see an actual UFO. Even though we never get to know if it's an actual alien flying it (could be a military project or something), it's a really cool part of the episode.

Again, just like the previous episode, the most important aspect of this one to me was the relationship between Mulder and Scully. They put the emphasis on Mulder believing and Scully not believing a lot more in this episode, which leads to some really funny dialogue. Also, the acting is quite a bit better than the previous one, which of course is a good thing.

The ending is pretty anti-climax, though Deepthroat (an important person in the show later on I guess...) says some interesting things in the end.
  • The conspiracy gets off to a good start.

The first real "conspiracy" episode establishes that the government has been using UFO technology to create experimental aircraft. An exciting episode, it establishes the character of "Deep Throat" and has what we all really want out of an X-Files episode--Scully and Mulder trying to sneak into military bases while running from black helicopters. It's all here. Even Seth Green, pre-Austin Powers, playing his usual stoner teen character. This was always one of my favorite episodes until I recently revisited it on the DVD set, and it doesn't hold up quite as well as it used to--mainly because Duchovny and Anderson are still growing accustomed to their roles. But there's a fabulous conclusion to this one, and it sets up the distrust of the government--and paranoia--which will drive the agents through subsequent seasons.
  • Better than the Pilot

Mulder: They're here aren't they?
    Deep Throat: Mr Mulder, they've been here for a very long time.

Following the pretty good Pilot comes Deep Throat, a much more intriguing, well made episode that grabs the viewer better than before. There are plenty more conspiracy ideas thrown around here, and Mulder comes so close to discovering the truth...closer than he comes in many of the followng seasons. The Deep Throat informant adds an interesting twist in the season as a whole as well, and the ending is great. Good ep.
  • The second episode of the most imaginative sci-fi show occuring in modern time takes us on one heck of a ride to Ellens Air Force base to solve the mystery surrounding a test pilot's odd behaviour.

Not long after getting home from their last case in Oregon, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are at it again. This time they're out to Ellens Air Force Base to see a woman and her husband who she suspects of having been affected by his latest test. This send Scully and Mulder risking their lives while Mulder tries to piece together a puzzle that Scully refuses to take part in. This was a great episode! This is where we first meet Deep Throat who is Mulders CI (Confidential Informant) for the first season. Mulder has that personality that makes it so that he can't put a case down when somebody says no. Even if it's Scully trying to hide it behind her reasons of S-C-I-E-N-C-E (I don't know why I spelled that, but I felt it made me sound smart...).
  • Mulder and Scully investigate the disappearance of a pilot, possibly linked with aircraft using UFO technology...

This is the first episode that contained many of the elements we'd come to know and love in later additions to the mythology. Mulder ditching Scully, a mysterious informant (in this case, Deep Throat, the original and best), and Scully coming to Mulder's rescue.

Overall, this is a fun and exciting episode that even sparks interest in the usual "weeping wife" scenes. A few neat twists and turns later, and Mulder experiences an incredible close encounter before going through his first eeriesome capture by mysterious individuals. The episode closes with what many believe is THE X-Files line. Mulder asks Deep Throat, "they're here, aren't they?" His reply - "Mr. Mulder, THEY'VE been here for a long, long time".
  • An astonishingly revealing episode of The X-Files - rarely do we get closer to the truth than this.

Deep Throat is an episode that largely compensates for the myriad unanswered questions left with audiences at the end of the pilot. This episode asserts that The X-Files has a clear stance on the truth and wants us to follow along. It also introduces Mulder's first informant, a thread that will continue until the end of the series almost a decade later. This episode also further develops the relationship between Mulder and Scully, showing that despite her disagreement with Mulder's beliefs, Scully is still willing to stand up for him because she believes that his intentions are true. Deep Throat's last comment to Mulder is an unrefusable invitation to continue watching.
< 1 2