The X-Files

Dæmonicus

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 02, 2001 on FOX

7.8
  • This is impressively the worst written episode in the history of the X-Files. Monica throws around ridiculous theories without dirtying her hands with actual investigation, leaving Doggett to solve the case by himself with… gasp… actual police work.

There have been many substandard episodes over season 8 and the first two of season 9 were impressively unimaginative, but this episode takes the cake. The story is a jumble of nonsense which the writers attempt to weave into some sort of pattern of evil but is completely and reasonably explained by Doggett at the end. Monica, unable to admit they were fooled, still insists that this was evil and that Doggett felt it. Oh please.

There's no actual content to the story itself - no attempt is made to explain the demonic appearing creatures who committed the murders which is the only really X-Files-y thing about the case. One of them was even *killed* and nothing is even said about what it was! And don't get me started on the ludicrous 'demonic possession' or whatever that rubbish was supposed to be. Had the creatures been addressed somehow, perhaps Monica's hysterical claims would have been less outlandish, but they are completely ignored and the episode is expected to stand on Monica's astonishing lack of actual investigation and completely unsubstantiated claims. Instead Monica and Scully berate Doggett who is the only person who bothered to actually work the case and look (and find) evidence of what actually happened.

Monica's character improved by the end of season 8 but this episode has destroyed what little credibility she had gained with me. I am pleased to see that Scully has managed to regain some of her scientific skepticism, but she then ruins it by siding with Monica. Scully used to be an investigator, who needed evidence *before* jumping to conclusions, boy do I miss her.

The only thing that made this episode even worth finishing was the comments about Doggett's feelings for Scully, something that has been blatant and until now, unaddressed.

The strength of the series was that no matter how insane the case actually was, the case was approached rationally and logically, evidence gathered and assessed, and that would lead to the truth and often more importantly, a way to stop whatever it was. The series usually stayed within the realms of extreme possibility, even if clinging to reality by only a thread, and that made you willing to suspend belief. From late season 8, that has all gone out the window. The idea that the X-Files could ever justify being kept open based on cases 'investigated' like this is laughable in itself.

This was an hour of my life I want back.
  • Deamons.

This episode is all about Deamonic possisson something which Agent Reyes is formiliar with from her work in New Orleans. Anyway Doggett and Reyes investigate and find that somehow a killer who is locked up in prison is responsible for the murders being committed. The agents believe that somehow the prisoner turned the guard. Eventually after a string of deamonic murders there is a final showdown at the docks when Scully is captured by the killer. Doggett is foced to shoot the convict but he falls into the river and they cannot recover the body. Doggett eventually realises that the victims were just random the killer needed to spell the deamonicus. Dea for one person, mon, and the cus. The killer chose them radomly froma phone book. Scully continues teaching her classes.

Overall really liked this episode. First Doggett and Reyes stand alone episode. Loved it. Start of a great season.
  • Please Release Me

7.9
    This is the first MOTW episode of Season Nine and the first in which Reyes takes an active role as a co-investigator with Doggett. Veteran Frank Spotnitz takes a second shot at writing/directing and the result is a creepier episode that has a decidedly different feel than previous X-Files.

Reyes looks yummy in her tight-fitting leather jacket and black pants, although she doesn't seem to do much other than constantly yap about the satanic overtones of the case. Doggett is strangely relaxed at the beginning of the episode, even going so far as to gently rib Reyes about her initial feelings that some great evil is present. It's oddly offputting, especially given the high-tension, testosterone-fueled Doggett we were left with at the end of the previous episode. Scully is now teaching at the local FBI academy and off the X-Files, which can't be good. I'm not digging her new sexed-up look and I hate her new hairstyle. I threw up a little inside when she started lecturing the college kids about "extreme possibilities."

Anyway, the storyline is a cross between the films "Seven" and "The Exorcist" and an earlier episode from Season Three, "The Walk," which featured the astral-traveling quadraplegic marine. The sole redeeming features of this episode are the production and special effects, which are quite different from previous episodes and a welcome breath of fresh air. At times, the use of special effects becomes a bit heavy-handed and over the top, but this is probably a good thing given the utter blandness of the Doggett and Reyes show.
  • Spoooky.

This episode focuses on Agent John Doggett and agent Monica Reyes trying to figure out what happened to an older couple that was murdered out in the middle of the country. Agent Reyes believed they were possessed by Satan himself, but Doggett did not want to believe that that was actually possible. It ended up being that Doggett took it really personal and ended up lashing out that it was impossible.

A patient who chopped up people into pieces was apparently possessed by Satan. This episode was a really good episode because it combined a lot of great thing people love about the x-files.
  • Demons are shooting people. Or people who fool their victims into thinking they are demons. Or something...

5.9
    Been here, done this. This feels like an X-File we've alrady seen. Or pretty much any episode of Millenium. Not dreadful, but not tremendously entertaining either. I should add, however, that Doggett is on the receiving end of the most violently disgusting vomit scene ever caught on film. Makes the one in Python's Meaning Of Life look tame. And if that's the only highlight of the episode...well, that says alot right there, doesn't it?
  • Typical X-files episode.

After the episode Calusari I hoped that Chris Carter would return to the theme of satanic possesion. And he didn't dissappoint me. Daemonicus is scary and a bit funny contraption. Althought it could be more. There were some situations where I thought, oh my God, what the hell was that? Like the poking scene or that Kobold had informations about Mulder from the internet. I felt like CC had a leak in his script and he wanted to hide it just with a blanket. Except these few situations, while watching Daemonicus I was scared, laughing, shocked and melting. (The last one for seeing Scully :-) )
  • Daemonicus

Daemonicus was a perfect episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and full of suspense and mystery as to what was really happening. I liked how Doggett and Reyes worked together with some help from Scully. I loved watching Scully in her teaching role because it seemed like a natural course of action for her. Guest Star James Remar and James Rekart were awesome! Some of the scenes had really captivating cinematography and visual effects which really added to the feel of the episode. The scenes with the dark clouds rolling in the skies reminded me of Hercules the Legendary Journeys when Iolaus is possessed by Dayhawk. I liked how the story played out in true X-File fashion, with an open ending. I look forward to watching what happens in the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • a very scary episode!

agents scully, reyes and doggett investigate to solve another mind-blowing case. another favorite episode of mine this time dealing w/ satanic rituals just like in episode 3's die hand die verletzt. it's interesting to know about the things that usually defy an explanation. we usually think that the devil is this hideous monster but it can be disguised in many ways. the whispering voices is so eerie somehow you can feel it getting thru your head as well. it's so scary. the mindgames is just like the silence of the lambs and that projectile vomit is bloody horrifying. perhaps an allusion to the exorcist? and the conversations w/ the 3 agents in the end, agent reyes telling agent scully after agent doggett explained the killings & walked away that his explanations make sense but sensing that he felt something evil as well only he's just afraid to say so.