The X-Files

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 02, 2001 on FOX

7.8
  • Please Release Me

7.9
    This is the first MOTW episode of Season Nine and the first in which Reyes takes an active role as a co-investigator with Doggett. Veteran Frank Spotnitz takes a second shot at writing/directing and the result is a creepier episode that has a decidedly different feel than previous X-Files.

Reyes looks yummy in her tight-fitting leather jacket and black pants, although she doesn't seem to do much other than constantly yap about the satanic overtones of the case. Doggett is strangely relaxed at the beginning of the episode, even going so far as to gently rib Reyes about her initial feelings that some great evil is present. It's oddly offputting, especially given the high-tension, testosterone-fueled Doggett we were left with at the end of the previous episode. Scully is now teaching at the local FBI academy and off the X-Files, which can't be good. I'm not digging her new sexed-up look and I hate her new hairstyle. I threw up a little inside when she started lecturing the college kids about "extreme possibilities."

Anyway, the storyline is a cross between the films "Seven" and "The Exorcist" and an earlier episode from Season Three, "The Walk," which featured the astral-traveling quadraplegic marine. The sole redeeming features of this episode are the production and special effects, which are quite different from previous episodes and a welcome breath of fresh air. At times, the use of special effects becomes a bit heavy-handed and over the top, but this is probably a good thing given the utter blandness of the Doggett and Reyes show.