The X-Files

Dæmonicus

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 02, 2001 on FOX

7.8
  • This is impressively the worst written episode in the history of the X-Files. Monica throws around ridiculous theories without dirtying her hands with actual investigation, leaving Doggett to solve the case by himself with… gasp… actual police work.

There have been many substandard episodes over season 8 and the first two of season 9 were impressively unimaginative, but this episode takes the cake. The story is a jumble of nonsense which the writers attempt to weave into some sort of pattern of evil but is completely and reasonably explained by Doggett at the end. Monica, unable to admit they were fooled, still insists that this was evil and that Doggett felt it. Oh please.

There's no actual content to the story itself - no attempt is made to explain the demonic appearing creatures who committed the murders which is the only really X-Files-y thing about the case. One of them was even *killed* and nothing is even said about what it was! And don't get me started on the ludicrous 'demonic possession' or whatever that rubbish was supposed to be. Had the creatures been addressed somehow, perhaps Monica's hysterical claims would have been less outlandish, but they are completely ignored and the episode is expected to stand on Monica's astonishing lack of actual investigation and completely unsubstantiated claims. Instead Monica and Scully berate Doggett who is the only person who bothered to actually work the case and look (and find) evidence of what actually happened.

Monica's character improved by the end of season 8 but this episode has destroyed what little credibility she had gained with me. I am pleased to see that Scully has managed to regain some of her scientific skepticism, but she then ruins it by siding with Monica. Scully used to be an investigator, who needed evidence *before* jumping to conclusions, boy do I miss her.

The only thing that made this episode even worth finishing was the comments about Doggett's feelings for Scully, something that has been blatant and until now, unaddressed.

The strength of the series was that no matter how insane the case actually was, the case was approached rationally and logically, evidence gathered and assessed, and that would lead to the truth and often more importantly, a way to stop whatever it was. The series usually stayed within the realms of extreme possibility, even if clinging to reality by only a thread, and that made you willing to suspend belief. From late season 8, that has all gone out the window. The idea that the X-Files could ever justify being kept open based on cases 'investigated' like this is laughable in itself.

This was an hour of my life I want back.