The X-Files

Dreamland II (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 06, 1998 on FOX

• Dreamland II

Dreamland II was another perfect episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the characters were awesome, the story was fun, exciting and very well written. There was a lot of character development and it was fun to watch Fletcher as Mulder and he as Fletcher. I liked how Scully handled the situation and tried to find a way to help Mulder. There was action and lots of humor. The whole area 51 thing was kind of awesome as well. This is one of my favorite episodes. I look forward to watching more!!!!!!!!!
  • An improvement over the first part.

The fun continues in this episode, with Scully finally finding out that Mulder isn't there. ('Baby me one more time, and you'll be peeing through a catheter...' XD) And Mulder trying to get back to who he was before the switch.

Morris continues to try to fool Scully, but finally she finds out that he wants to stay Mulder due to his homelife. He finally relents and lets Scully get to Mulder and get things back to the way they were.

The acting is pretty good in this episode as well, and by the end... the interacting between Moose and Squirrel is back to normal =). Nothing, acting wise seemed off from either of them this time, which is good. It was nice to watch an episode and feel like I was watching one, instead of a script reading, which a little bit of the first 'Dreamlands' episode felt like.

Overall, this episode made me laugh out loud a lot and is definitely worth the watch.
  • Mulder and Morris are still switched over, while Scully tries to figure out how to switch them back

The two part episode comes to a strange end as we're left with a story that strays pretty far away from the whole myth arc that the show has built up until this point and instead focuses on mixing some sci-fi elements with a whole bunch of humor. I must say, I enjoyed the way the show was able to continually poke fun at the fact that Mulder and Scully have never hooked up, even if it's not actually Mulder trying to hook up with Scully, but sometimes, humor in a show grounded in serious subjects can pull us out of the story a bit, and that's almost what this episode did.

The episode picks up basically where Part 1 left off.. Mulder is being arrested after Morris (in the form of Mulder) ratted him out to the Area 51 people. However, Scully figures out that Mulder is telling the truth, and we get a long drawn-out plot involving Mulder and Scully trying to get in touch with the source located at Area 51. It felt as if this two part episode could've easily been crammed into one episode, but instead, we get some random stupid scenes involving Mulder and Morris' wife. Did we really need all of that stuff?

For a two part episode, we also learn surprisingly little about any myth arc stuff. The source that Mulder meets actually admits he doesn't know if aliens exist or not. When in the heck are we going to learn if aliens exist in this show? I'm getting confused after being jerked around so much by the government people, Cigarette Smoking Man and now these Area 51 people.

I'm hoping Season 6's myth arc improves more, because the way that the end of Season 5, the movie and the Season 6 premiere began, I have high hopes for it.. now we just need some pay-off.
  • better than it's prequel

Ok I will post some random notes first:

-I really like the teaser with the home videos
    -I love the look scully gives morris when he asks her to come over for dinner
    -grandma top gun Haha!
    -Special tramp Dana Scully
    -When you see them in the mirror above the bed and Morris says "maybe I like to read the New York Times backwards", that is actually Mulder's voice too not just his reflection. Never noticed that before.
    -Baby me and you'll be peeing through a catheter.
    -If I shoot him is that murder or suicide?

This is a great follow-up to one of the other great episodes of the series. I really enjoy the teaser with Morris Fletcher voice over giving a biography of Mulder while we watch home-videos of Mulder as a child stomping on his Spock ear that won't stay on. Classic. From here we jump back to the final scene of the last episode with Mulder being taken away screaming "He's not me!" There are so many fun scenes to watch with different interactions like Mulder in the cage with grandma Top Gun driving each other crazy. Then Fletcher's feigned sense of sympathy when Scully gets suspended. I really like the scene in the general's office when Mulder gets off the hook because he gave Scully the wrong flight data recorder and he is completely clueless at first but then slowly starts to play along. I realized while watching that Mulder is better at pretending to be Fletcher than Fletcher is at pretending to be Mulder. Then all of the Scully and Fletcher scenes in Mulder's apartment are also great. I thought it was hilarious when Fletcher is telling Scully that she'll just have to get used to him being there because he doesn't know how to change it back and she tells him to contact his source and see if he knows and Fletcher tells her he doesn't know how to get a hold of him and she's just out of luck and then as soon as he finished saying that the phone rings and its the source. Such a great subtle touch of irony! I loved it. I also really enjoyed listening to Fletcher sing "Let's Get it On" in Japanese and Spanish with the special features on the DVD. Finally the entire scene at the little A'LE'INN with everyone hiding in the bathroom from different people and the same people is great. I think I liked this episode better than the first one but they both are great. I really think that stories and situations like this are what TV is all about even if they seem cliched. I give it 10/10.
  • Even better than the first part...

This picks up where the last one left off and sees Mulder being taken in by the men in black. Meanwhile Scully finally figures out that Mulder and Fletcher switched bodies. After getting a flight recorder from an informant Scully takes it to our old friends The Lone Gunmen. She tells them about the body switching and they didn't believe her at first but then Fletcher convinced them. You could tell Frohike really didn't like Fletcher, he even called him a punk a*s. Good old Frohike. This episode was just as funny as the last one if not funnier. Like when Mulder asks Scully If I kill him is that Murder or suicide. That cracked me up. I thought the end kinda sucked because no one remembered what happend. It would have been more interesting if it was only Mulder that remembered but oh well. So far this was the best non mytharc episode in the series.
  • Not the best X-files episode ever, still humorous enough though!

7.6
    Not the best X-files episode ever, still humorous enough though! This is the second of a two parter, and while it wraps everything up nicely from the first episode (time starts to correct itself!!), it was full of jokes, funny bits, and a comical story line that is too far from the usual for the purist X-file fan. Even though the duo have been removed from investigating the x-files, they still find themselves in area 51. The head of the 'men in black' wanting to leak secrets to Mulder? These guys would be arch enemies except when it suited the black ops government figure to want Mulder to know information. Also in this episode we find out where Mulders' bedroom is. (He uses it as a storage closet!) A bit of a filler episode but in keeping with the writers comedy theme for this series.
  • Switchback

More of the same. This episode begins with a strangely savage send-up of the Samantha story arc. It's perplexing and a bit disconcerting that the writers choose to parody this aspect of the Mythology when it hasn't yet been resolved, but I suppose nothing was off limits in the quest for laughs.

Reading previous reviews, I suddenly realized that this two-parter was meant to be part of the Myth arc. Yikes! I hadn't even considered these as Myth episodes. If this is the future direction of the Myth arc, then let me off the bus now.

And the ending, yeah the ending. Trite, convenient, unconvincing and contrived. Did I miss any other suitable adjectives?

Still, an entertaining episode that I will probably rewatch a few times just for the funny bits. Doesn't mean I have to respect it, though.
  • The one where Mulder wants to be himself again

The second part of a magnificent episode, managed to be better than the first part.

This episode basically begins with Morris talking about Mulder’s life and that he has completely wasted it, but he is now going to making something about it.

Poor Mulder is really stuck in Morris’ body, his wife hates him, his kids hate him and he can’t trust his colleagues. He is put in a cell but that’s until they think that he was doing a scam. Mulder just plays along and it works perfectly for him. Scully on the other hand has to put up with Morris, and she begins to notice that it really isn’t him. So she decides to set him up, she plays along until she gets him into cuffs and makes him explain about what happened. Then she meets with the real Mulder who is having a hard time with Morris’ family, the woman sees Scully and is upset because she thinks that her husband is cheating on her. Mulder and Morris don’t know if they are going to be able to switch bodies again, Morris doesn’t want his old life back obviously.

But there is a way to bring them back and one of Morris’ colleagues finds out how. He brings them all back but to the place and time it happened, so they won’t remember anything that happened. ‘Dreamland II’ is a very interesting and well written episode. When Mulder gets back he finds his apartment very differently so at least he got that. Scully also finally saw how it was to work with someone who was more sceptical than her and it drove her crazy, Scully has definitely grown and become a more stronger independent woman. Morris’ family was all around hilarious. These two episodes were a trip.
  • Overall, this episode continues the odd and somewhat disappointing foray into tired comedy that began in the first part of the story. The issues with the comedy gags are made worse by a massive plot convenience that resets the clock.

According to the writers, the mandate from Chris Carter for the sixth season was an emphasis on more comedy. Apparently the previous seasons had been too dark for someone with the kind of authority to ask Carter to lighten it up a bit. Considering where “Millennium” was going at this point, one could point to the network as this source of interference. Ultimately, however, it comes down to a simple reality: “Dreamland” was originally conceived as a body-switch caper with Garry Shandling.

Armed with this information, it’s easy to see how the story was developed. Little or no thought was given to how this would make sense within the context of the mythology as a whole. The two-parter was written to allow for as many gags as could fit into two hours. Place this into perspective for a moment. Two hours out of a season boiled down to an excuse for funny gags about David Duchovny and Garry Shandling switching bodies. The fact that Shandling couldn’t schedule the filming, forcing the casting of McKean instead, is a minor consideration.

The end result has its moments. Scully in particular gets to show some of her previous edge, and there’s more than one hint that Scully is still wondering if it would be better to pursue a new and more normal life. Yet there’s also a depth of emotion between the two agents, especially when it looks like all is lost. Scully is very reluctant to let go of Mulder, and he clearly doesn’t want to let go of her. It’s in keeping with the progression of their relationship in the wake of “Fight the Future”; they know how they feel about each other, but there’s still the unspoken psychological issues keeping them apart.

That’s why the opening monologue by “Mulder” is important, both for the seasoned viewers and the new initiates. It’s a good reminder that Mulder’s world is still defined by questions about Samantha and her disappearance. It also makes it very clear that Mulder is a psychologically damaged individual. Mulder often ends up heroic or insightful, but sometimes that’s a matter of perspective. From a different point of view, Mulder has let his life slip away while tilting at windmills. (Leaving aside, for the moment, the fact that he was all but maneuvered into his little crusade.)

Morris probably already knew about Mulder, since it seems that his department was mainly focused on disinformation and Mulder was a high-profile facilitator of such efforts, especially in previous years. But it’s still interesting to see Mulder’s life through another person’s eyes, even someone with as many personal issues as Morris. He quickly points out all the aspects of Mulder’s life that could and should have been different.

For all that, it’s still all a bit overdone. It’s funny to think of Mulder using his bedroom as a massive storage closet, but one has to wonder how much information was really lost when Morris cleared out the space. After all, it takes time for that much information and assorted crap to accumulate, and Mulder must have been hoarding everything possible since the destruction of his office and many of the X-Files. So where did all of that go, in such a short period of time?

One also has to wonder how long he kept that furniture. It probably plays into a few of his personal fantasies, but it’s also clear that things have changed before the end of the season. That’s probably too bad for him, because if he knew Scully and her own dark side, he might have gotten somewhere with the kinky. (And Scully’s little ruse with the handcuffs? Totally in keeping with what was shown in “Never Again”!)

It’s a bit too convenient for the massive space-time anomaly to reverse itself, which is one of the most obvious flaws of the story. Mulder and Scully are completely divorced from the resolution, and when that happens, the story suffers terribly. It’s also somewhat convenient for the reversal to be conditional and partial, allowing some changes to remain and others to be corrected. Logically, if time snaps back to the moment when everything originally changed, then everything should snap back to the original state. Otherwise, how could Howard just let everyone walk away, if there was evidence that something happened?

The idea that someone in charge of the Men in Black would want to contact Mulder to discover the truth is certainly ironic, but it presents a minor problem. If Morris and others were aware of Mulder and the Lone Gunmen because they were falling for the disinformation, then why would Wegman think that Mulder knew the truth? The implication is that they are being used by the conspiracy, setting things up and organizing resources to be used for nefarious schemes by even more secretive groups. An interesting idea, but it’s annoying that it’s mostly played for laughs and developed to explain a tired and unnecessary comedy gag.

More serious implications of the overall situation are hinted, but the writers fall into the “tell, don’t show” trap. Scully mentions that Morris is turning Mulder into Kersh’s golden boy, but there’s precious little evidence of it. Similarly, Scully is suspended and then expelled, but the actual confrontations occur off-screen. In other words, these far-reaching effects of the body-swap are so remote as to have little or no impact. All this insight regarding Kersh and the conspiracy is effectively lost.

Scully is a lot more intelligent in this episode, though she still suffers from the “act stupid until necessary” characterization that plagued the first half. Scully catches on when Morris stages his “seduction”, but the fact that Morris keeps calling her “Dana” doesn’t trip off any alarms. Scully is well aware that nearly everyone else on the planet calls her “Dana”, but Mulder resolutely calls her “Scully”. Why that alone wouldn’t have been enough is therefore hard to fathom.

For all that, it doesn’t take nearly as much time for Scully to come around to the “extreme possibility” of a body-switch as it would have in the earlier seasons. She accepts the fact that Mulder and Morris have made a switch and she acts accordingly. However, taking Morris into the Lone Gunmen’s lair is a bit questionable, even if it led to some funny moments. Wouldn’t they feel like they had been exposed to the enemy by someone they trusted?

Like the first half of the story, this episode exemplifies everything that didn’t quite work during the sixth season. Instead of using the more serious aspects of the story as the foundation, the episodes originated as a flight of comic fancy. Earlier seasons made the case for a dark and psychologically complex series, and that’s what was the draw for a lot of people. Comedy can evolve out of that, but when “X-Files” is treated as a comedy show with serious undertones, it doesn’t work nearly as well.
  • Not as funny as the first part but still good.

Part 2 wasn't as good or as funny as part one, but it was still entertaining. Scully finally realises that Mulder isn't Mulder and is actually Morris. It took her long enough to figure it out. Gee, I wonder what tipped her off.

Mulder gets a second chance & is released from jail (in area 51) and goes back home to Morris' family & tells his wife the truth who of course doesn't believe him.

One of the funnier parts of the episode was when Morris invites Scully over to Mulder's apartment after she's suspended. Little did he know that she was already on to him.

I didn't like the ending though, it could have been a little more complicated. They worked everything out too fast and Mulder & Morris were back in their own bodies too quickly.

I liked the slap on the behind that Morris gave Scully just before he got his body back, & I loved the look Mulder gave him. Jealousy maybe?

Right at the end when Mulder went home and after going in he came back out & checked the apartment number, I wonder, was that because he found the bedroom Morris got. That got me laughing.
  • But silly in a good way...

Car rental to Area 51: $180. Wine served by your partner's possessed body: $28. Watching McKean take on Duchovny's traits, David taking on McKean's, and Scully reacting to both...priceless. There are funnier episodes in the series, but everything just comes together in this one so well. You even almost feel sorry for Morris after seeing the horror that his home-life is. Almost...
  • I have one word... Perfect. I don't watch the X-Files often, but this episode (and the second half of the previous, which is all I saw) was enough to make anyone appreciate X-Files!

~
    This was wonderful! I wish there were more episodes like this amazing 2-parter. It had definite drama in it, but I love that! Scully and Fox's names were made fun of, poor Moris' wife, ... this episode was simple classic.
  • Back to the Classic way...

This episode of The X-Files goes back to the classic story telling. Its set around a alien friendly place Area-51. With the story of time being "Stretched" but no one notices intill the end were time begins to "Warp Back" like an elastic band. But only the people who were "stretched" now what really happen.
    Also this has a back story that goes with it about a "leak" try to show Mulder the truth about Ares-51 air crafts.
CHILL