The X-Files

Elegy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 04, 1997 on FOX

• Elegy

Elegy was a perfectly entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing, the characters had some great development, and the ending was great. It was fun watching Mulder and Scully investigate the case and follow a lead to a Mental Institution. The people there were funny during the group interview, especially the guy who kept saying "I'm only human". I liked when Scully had to question herself on what she had seen. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Mulder and Scully look into a mentally challenged man who can see ghosts, while Scully deals with her cancer

I'm glad that Chris Carter and the other writers are focusing a lot on Scully's illness. It's definitely giving Gillian Anderson some of her best scenes of the show to date. If only the actual case of the week was as interesting as the stuff going on with Scully, it would've been even better.

The basic case is that a mentally challenged individual is able to see the ghosts of women that have died, even though their body is in a completely different place. At first, Mulder and Scully think that he's responsible for the deaths of the girls and that this is an excuse to cover himself up, but after Scully sees a ghost herself, she begins having doubts and struggles to figure out what she believes.

As the episode goes along, Scully's illness ties in with the episode more than one would expect. Mulder has a theory that only people who are dying can see the ghosts, which puts Scully in an odd position.

The main plot itself was only slightly interesting... to me, it felt lackluster and most of the power in the episode arose from Scully's acting.
  • She is me

At the beginning, I quite enjoyed the storyline, about Harold being able to see the ghosts of these women just after they had died and were left wondering if Harold had killed them. But in the last 10 minutes of the episode, A nurse taking care of Harold is introduced and all of a sudden we find out that she has been poisining him and she is the one who killed those women because she didn't want Harold to have any happiness before he died. Those last scenes just seemed rather rushed to me. In my opinion I think it would have been better if that nurse had been seen throughout the episode.

The storyline also expanded Scully's cancer storyline. One of the best scenes of the episode was where Mulder told Scully he thought that Harold could see the ghosts because he had a connection with them - that he was dying as well. Scully hadn't told Mulder that she had seen the college students ghost in the washroom and she now knows that she is dying. Another good scene was where Scully was talking to her therapist, talking about how he didn't realise how much she relied on Mulder till now. I also liked the final scene, where Mulder and Scully had a little argument... That Mulder hated that Scully was keeping things from him, how he felt that she was working against him. His concern for her is touching, and in a funny way, so is his non acceptance of her illness.
  • bowling alley ghost

7.7
    A dude sees a dead girl stuck in bowling alley machinery (the bit that makes the sweeper thing move i think) and then sees her again, only this time she is real and dead and on a road. In come Mulder and Scully, and they investigate it. The episode was good, and the conclusion was a twist, in my opinion, because i really didn;t see it coming until the last minute. Scully's cancer showed up again (funny how they just 'forget' it sometimes, isn't it?) and Mulders concern for her was quite endearing, although she insists on being fine. I think they have their first proper, personal argument at the end because Scully omitted some of the truth from him- that she saw one of the victims. I think Mulder was being a bit insenstive really, because Scully is afterall dying, and there he is yelling at her. Enjoyable, but not the best.
  • I Wanna Be Sedated

7.2
    The storyline is a mess and rather dull. Why is it that dying people near the bowling alley are able to see the ghosties? Is there something in the water? Ancient Indian burial site? It seems so arbitrary and is never explained at all. If the writer doesn't care, why should we? And don't get me started on the ridiculousness of "Nurse Ratched" .....

I suspect the real idea behind this episode was to expand upon Scully's cancer storyline (she was absent entirely from the previous episode) and to show Mulder's lack of acceptance of her illness, with Scully's resulting sense of alienation. The therapist scene was great, very revealing and some fine acting by Anderson. It's just too bad the writer couldn't imagine a more interesting story with which to dress these ideas.
  • Creepy Special Effects

Summary- After a man sees a woman trapped inside a bowling alley pin setter, he goes for help and finds police standing next to the body of the same woman. Mulder and Scully join the investigation and follow up this lead which the police won't bother with and they are led to a retarded man who works at the bowling alley. Review- Elegy is a ok episode with some great acting and special effects (rather creepy effects) . The only thing that really got me was that the character who did most of the evil work wasnt in it much.
  • Creepy

Mulder: What is that look, Scully? Scully: I would have thought that after 4 years you'd know exactly what that look was. Mulder: What, you don't believe in ghosts? Scully: And that surprises you?

The tangled mess of the conclusion aside, Elegy is one of the creepiest episodes. Scully's cancer is woven expertly into the story, as is Mulder and Scully's developing relationship. Very good.
  • The one with the spirits

‘Elegy’ wasn’t one of this seasons best but wasn’t bad either, far from bad.

The episode begins in some bowling place, a crazy guy is freaking out while the other one stays behind and when he sees something strange he finds a girl dead trying to tell him something. When he goes outside the police has already come but they have the body of the same girl at a parking space.

Mulder and Scully go to the crime-scene, already have there died a few girls by having their throat cut. They find something written on a bowling ground saying ‘she is me’.

They think that someone in the crazy hospital killed the girls and called, one of them isn’t reacting like the rest and Mulder believes that he might have done it.
    When Scully has a nose bleed she goes to the bathroom where she sees another dead girl and on a mirror is written ‘She is me’.

When they finally find Harold again they think that he committed the murder but Mulder believes that he can lead them to prove that he didn’t. Turns out that he loved the girls and that maybe he’s dying and that is why he is seeing them.

At the hospital is a nurse the one who has been doing everything, because she has been taking pills which were making her insane and she didn’t want Harold to be happy so she killed everyone who liked him. When Scully goes to question her she attacks and almost kills her but Scully shoots the lady.

Harold was found dead and now Scully is afraid she is going to die because only people who were going to were able to see those dead girls, she tells that to Mulder and he is upset because he didn’t tell her before but says that he is also afraid of what might happen to her.

The best scene of the episode was when Scully was talking so a psychiatrist saying that she doesn’t want to disappoint Mulder.
    The episode was very gripping, but I don’t think that the main storyline made that much sense,. Why did the Nurse hate Harold that much?
    But anyhow, the episode was still pretty good but not one of the best.
  • A death at a bowling alley sends Mulder and Scully chasing after a seemingly autistic individual with the dubious gift of seeing the ghosts of the recently-deceased.

7.2
    Scully gets her time in the emotional spotlight before Mulder steals it in "Demons" and then again in "Gethsemane," but she makes her point.

This episode is nothing in comparison to S4's earlier "Memento Mori," but, then again, what ever can be? However, it stands as a semi-hard-hitting episode and as somewhat of a sucker punch for the ever-egotistical Mulder. His ongoing denial of Scully's impending death begins to gain true strength and determination in "Elegy" and does not resolve itself until S5's "Redux II," if that is really any kind of resolution.

The episode casts Mulder and Scully as a little out of character, but their main underlying pretenses remain the same. Mulder is determined and focused on only the case, missing all the signals Scully fails to recognize she's giving, but gives off a frustrated if not uncaring air through Scully's ordeal. Scully recesses into herself and cannot bring herself to tell Mulder what has happened until the end of the episode, and Mulder again turns more of a cold shoulder than anything.

By itself, "Elegy" stands only to advance the drama of Cancer Saga and adds more fuel to Mulder's guilt fire. "I see dead people" as a storyline has worn itself and its parodies through and through. Still, it serves its purpose.

(-x-)

Whyagain
  • A confused mess

There are two things that are good about "Elegy": First, the apparitions (or death-omens) of people about to die that make up this show's paranormal element are kind of chilling. And secondly, Scully's illness is finally put into the spotlight again and her own vision of a dead woman gives us the eerie announcement that she too is going to die soon. The character work on Scully as she's trying to disprove that is very interesting.

But that's the end of it.

Other than that, we get a sadistic nurse, a possibly homicidal retard, ghosts, an asylum for the insane... cliché after cliché. Besides, it all just doesn't add up to one coherent story. How's it all connected? And how come writer John Shiban pulls one rabbit after the other out of his hat just when his story seems to lose steam? Just the fact that the nurse - the actual killer here - doesn't really appear until very late in the episode and that no good motivations are given for her actions prove that he wrote himself into more than one corner.

Therefore, "Elegy" works (sort of) as a teaser for things to come concerning Scully, but as an X-File, it's a disappointment.