The X-Files

Field Trip

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 09, 1999 on FOX

• Wow ... unbelievable ... this episode alone shows why The X-Files is perhaps the greatest show in history, surpassing even today's Nip/Tuck and Desperate Housewives.

Personally, The X-Files is perhaps the greatest show in the history of television. Carter's ability to mix awesomely written stand-alone plots, ranging from gender benders to chinese demons, with an unbelievably complex and chilling mythology (all working towards "The Truth") has made The X-Files an instant classic.

In this Season 6 episode, there is nothing storywise that contributes to the main mythology of the show ... it is totally a stand-alone, or as some idiots would like to call it, a "filler." Nonetheless, it remains my favorite episode of all time because of the genius behind the story. (may have spoilers)

The first time you watch it is really quite a treat, mostly because you're so stunned by what's happening you don't know what's real and what's not, much like the agents under the effects of the unknown mushrooms' toxins. There were too many awesome scenes and events in the ep to successfully review it to a degree that would give it justice.

Just trust me ... watch this ep.
  • Twist and turns

This is an EXCELLENT episode!
    Mulder and Scully investigate the deaths of a hiking couple. The place they were found is a well known spot of UFO sightings, thus they search for a theory around abduction killings. But... is it really aliens who did it?
    There turn out to be slight inconsistencies with other abduction records.
    From that point on, the story involves rapidly into one direction, only to switch into some completely different theory. Answers which have been found aren't answers anymore, solutions to the riddle are discarded quickly and even Mulder is clueless about the odd killings. What does "reality" mean...?
  • When the bodies of a couple who have been missing for less than a week are discovered to have been reduced to bone, Mulder suggests that recent paranormal phenomena in the area may have caused the accelerated decomposition.

This episode was amazing,it really keeps you guessing till the end. It brings you one way and ends up taking you somewhere else.Very original and it really makes you think. I have not seen every episode but I rate this pretty highly.That man Chris Carter is a genius and where he gets his ideas from I don't know.I would just like to make a comment on one of the previous reviews who only rated it 6.9 which I found very strange but I suppose each to his own.He asked how when the couple were found that all that was left was bones when they were only dead for a short period? Answer The fungi is feeding off them or in other words digesting them using some sort of chemical which eventually only leaves bones.
  • Its a trip!

I remember this was one of the first episodes of the X-Files that I ever watched (back when it first aired in '99) and before I re-watched it after buying the DVDs all I could remember was the ending (the agents repeatedly not knowing what was real and what was just an illusion).

Mulder and Scully are basically eaten alive by a huge plant inside a mountain that imprisons them with a hallucinogenic "slime" that confuses them as to what is real and what is simply put in their heads by the drug.

Still, to this day, I think this is one of the most interesting and riveting episodes of the entire series. I mean it really makes you think, what is reality? Is it limited to what we physically experience or rather, what our mind tells us that we are experiencing?
  • great episode.

this is an exciting episode to watch. mulder & scully came across a mushroom that causes hallucinogenic effects. it makes you want to think what's really going on if it's still one of their delusions or not. i like the part where mulder was showing scully the alien & she actually believed him w/c made mulder think that something wasn't right given his partner's skepticism when it comes to his alien obssession. then on scully's part when she was made to believe that mulder dies & she knew that something else is going on but nobody seemed to find it suspicious. scully convinced mulder that it wasn't real that it has something to do w/ that mushroom they've made contact with. for a moment everything seemed to be normal then mulder realized they were still in the cave & is still experiencing the effects of the hallucination. only then they were finally saved by skinner. i find this ending w/ some kind of a twist & it's great.
  • This is the best X-Files episode! Awesome twists and turns in this episode. This was like watching a short film, not a TV episode - so well written!

This one keeps you guessing until the final scene as to what is actually happening. In my opinion, this is the BEST X-Files episode, in a season full of great episodes (season 6!).
  • Aliens, psychodelic mold creatures, and inexplicable skeletons, this episode has it all.

One of the few attempts in the series for a big-twist, mind-buggering, head-trip episode and it's a beautiful thing. The big reveal, which should have been obvious, is handled so well that it still comes as a cool surprise. The episode becomes such a different thing than it started as. The inventive visuals help too. Probably the best example of M & S escaping the Grim Reaper by the skin of their teeth.
  • This episode was a really well written show.

This episode had it all. Aliens, cover-ups, one of the main characters "die", shootings and the two main characters coming closer together emotionally. The agents are called out to South Dakota where there have been numerous alien sightings over a mountain range going back some 700 years. A young couple out hiking vanish and turn up the next day with their bodies as badly decomposed as if they had been lying outside for weeks. Unknown to the agents at the time, they are put into a hallucinogenic trance by a plant which give the writers a lot of licence to write a great story line. By the end you had to ask yourself what was the real story and how much was one of the characters dreams. Mulder and Scully came out of the adventure stronger as a team.
  • Field Trip

Field Trip was a great episode of The X-Files. I liked watching because the story was good, full of suspense and mystery trying to piece together what was happening. It was fun to watch Mulder and Scully investigate. This episode didn't really stand out in any special way to me but it was still enjoyable to watch. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching the season finale!!!!!
  • This episode is original and riveting. the writers keep you guessing until the very end, and when you get there you're more shocked than ever. A truly amazing episode.

This episode is filled with twists and turns and you never know exactly where you are or where you're going, but it's one amazing ride. Most of this apisode takes place under the ground although the main characters are unaware that they are undergoing a chemical reation to a giant fungi under the ground. there is also strong emotional occurences
    such as the death of mulder and the discovery of an extra-terrestrial, all of which are hallucinations of mulder and scully's. right when you think that you know what is going on, you turn completely in the opposite direction until the very end. it is definatley an episode to watch, and one to enjoy.
  • Mulder and Scully look into a couple who turned into skeletons only after three days.

I'm not a fan of being screwed around with with TV shows and movies, but I am a fan of classic misdirection. This episode began as one thing, turned into another and then proved itself to be something completely different from all of these items. I have much respect for the writers here in constructing the episode.

When the episode begins, we're let believing this is going to revolve around Mulder and Scully looking into a couple who's bodies were found skeletonized just three days after they died. Neither of them can figure out what resulted in this, at least no normal thing, so they head out to the field they were found to discover the truth. Mulder and Scully split up and Mulder ends up finding the man hiding in a cave, claiming there are extraterrestrials who kidnapped him and his wife and left fake bodies behind to trick them. Mulder finds the wife, and soon enough, he believes them after he finds an implant in the back of her neck.

Things get even stranger when Mulder shows Scully something that will prove that he was right all along: an alien. That's right: Mulder kidnaps an alien and brings it back to his apartment until they can figure out what to do next.. however, things aren't that simple.

I don't want to ruin the episode too much in case people read this before seeing the episode, but let's just say that Mulder's encounter is one of many misdirections the show sends us in on this episode. We're left wondering what's real and what's not until the very end.

I'd definitely say this is in the Top 3 of this season.. just a great episode that finds our heroes in facing one of their most dangerous nemeses yet.
  • Amazing!

This is, in my opinion, the best episode of the season and one of the best of the entire series. The plot is original and has so many twists and false endings.
    For people who think that by season 6 the standalone episodes of this show are getting a little formulaic, this should prove conclusively that is not the case.
    Just a few of the many memorable moments are when Skinner gets shot by Mulder, Mulder abducts an alien and Scully admits that Mulder has been correct about every conspiracy theory he supports.
    This is an absolute must-see for all fans of this show, and if you aren't a fan of the show this just may get you hooked, so watch with caution! ;)
  • This unusual episode demonstrates Mulder and Scully's evolving relationsihp. It also provides some of the most shocking moments and surprises of the entire series.

By the end of season six, Mulder and Scully had moved past whatever differences between them created the conflict that came to a head at the end of the fifth season. Scully is now just as dedicated to Mulder as he is to finding the truth. But Mulder is beginning to question what his quest now entails. Mulder does not question his relationship with Scully but questions her outward attitudes toward his work. He understands her devotion but is clearly beginning to wonder what purpose her strict rationalism serves. They discuss this in the beginning very matter of factly. As the episode moves on, we are given the shock of the discovery of the Schiffs, Mulder abducting an alien, Mulder's death, etc. Yet each of these moments represents a fantastic hallucination of the character having it. Mulder wonders if finding an alien and definitively proving Scully wrong would be truly fulfililng. Scully wonders what it might cost for her to be right. Scully also removes the obstacle Mulder himself presents to her rationalism in her hallucination. And this is the point when the episode truly demonstrates her evolution as a character. Scully questions the coroner, Skinner and the lone gunmen when they present the theory that she, herself, advocate to Mulder when they began the case. The ending does not disappoint and leaves the characters in a state that only they can appreciate. They understand they need each other to continue. This episode also sets the show up nicely for the finale by pushing the limits of what might be revealed. In a way, it tests what the audience craves by presenting these fantasies. But all is not lost when the fantasies fade away. Mulder and Scully are left with a better understanding of their relationship and their mission. I try to keep my scores whole numbers but I had to give this episode more than a 9 - it was so ingenious on its first viewing. Yet some of what gives it its initial edge, keeps it from being an all-time favorite.
  • Wow!

Wow, I just watched this episode for the first time in years. I had totally forgotten about how awesome it is! The story is so brilliantly written and has so many twists and turns that the audience, like the characters, can\'t tell what is real and what isn\'t. Nothing is what is seems. I kept having to go back because if I let my attention wander for even a minute I was totally lost. In addition, one actually feels as if they are being pulled into the story-line as the viewer gets to see things through the eyes of both Mulder and Scully. Another excellent installment!
  • One of the best episodes of season six.

This episode is very well written. The dialouge was great ("Sounds like crap when you say it..."), and the acting was great too. In my opinion, this was one of David Duchovny's best performances in season six (Arcadia takes the cake, though).

This episode was very confusing at first. I was thinking, "So, they're dreaming about realizing they're dreaming, then they dream that they wake up from their dream, but then they really wake up after dreaming about realizing they're dreaming again?" I understood it all by the end, though. I thought the last scene was sweet.

This is a very good episode. Confusing (or is it just me?), but very good.
  • This is my favorite show.... and this is a very good episode.

Field Trip have a very good storyline, whit a lot of changes, a lot of dreams, a lot of weird situations, like in mulder's funeral, in that scene we can see Scully lost her mind, she know Mulder doesnt be dead, and see her pain because that situation is touching.

Other scene I love is after they get out o the field, in Skinner's office, when Mulder tell her that situation is not real and he shoot against Skinner.... What would happen if that situation is real? He could kill Skinner??

The last scene, when they are in the ambulance, and Mulder wants to hold Scully's hand is great, and the look in their faces....

I LOVE THIS SHOW!
  • I just watched it, and a have to stop and think about it, just to remember what it is about. The skeletons of the victims in a double murder are found in a field. Yet, they have not been dead long enough to be skeletons though...hmmmm

6.9
    Frankly, it is was worth watching, because it is an X File, but that it is about all. I would watch again because any X File is worth watching twice. However, on its own, I would have to rate as just average. Basically it has all the normal dark sci-fi drama and it was very scary at times, sometimes depicting monsters, deformed humans, disturbing scenarios, and violent acts. This show does not have the mythology which centers on government conspiracy, cover-ups, and the possibility of alien abductions. There is no be frightened by the possibility of abduction in this one, but there is some being scared by the graphic images of creatures and the constant, tension-building type experiences, like entrances into dark holes, pits, and sewers.
Eve