The X-Files

Field Trip

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 09, 1999 on FOX

• Mulder and Scully look into a couple who turned into skeletons only after three days.

I'm not a fan of being screwed around with with TV shows and movies, but I am a fan of classic misdirection. This episode began as one thing, turned into another and then proved itself to be something completely different from all of these items. I have much respect for the writers here in constructing the episode.

When the episode begins, we're let believing this is going to revolve around Mulder and Scully looking into a couple who's bodies were found skeletonized just three days after they died. Neither of them can figure out what resulted in this, at least no normal thing, so they head out to the field they were found to discover the truth. Mulder and Scully split up and Mulder ends up finding the man hiding in a cave, claiming there are extraterrestrials who kidnapped him and his wife and left fake bodies behind to trick them. Mulder finds the wife, and soon enough, he believes them after he finds an implant in the back of her neck.

Things get even stranger when Mulder shows Scully something that will prove that he was right all along: an alien. That's right: Mulder kidnaps an alien and brings it back to his apartment until they can figure out what to do next.. however, things aren't that simple.

I don't want to ruin the episode too much in case people read this before seeing the episode, but let's just say that Mulder's encounter is one of many misdirections the show sends us in on this episode. We're left wondering what's real and what's not until the very end.

I'd definitely say this is in the Top 3 of this season.. just a great episode that finds our heroes in facing one of their most dangerous nemeses yet.