The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

A few inconsistencies

AlexKrycec

[1]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 7
    What are your thoughts on Nicholas Lea being in Gender Bender as a side character and then later becoming alex krycec in season 2?

Or how about The man who played Nicholas Regali in Release playing an FBI agent who worked with Dogget in Within or Without (the agent who gets attacked by the alien disguised as scully)?

And the name John Gilnets? Used when describing many of the victims. At first i thought it was a way of saying John Doe, until they gave a character in Jump the shark that name.

Do these bother anyone else?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

viggogirl1

[2]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 5
    I don't know about the latter two, but it did weird me out a bit at the beginning as far as Nicholas Lea doing double duty (no pun intended)...but hey, maybe that was a huge compliment. They liked his work enough to go and create character for him and becoming part of X-Files history.

AlessGianna

[3]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 4
    John Gillnitz was an inside joke where the three writers (John Shiban, Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz) amalgamized their names. It would've been fun once or twice but they did it way too many times!

And about Nicholas Lea or that actor being "recycled", it's not the only times that it happened in the show. In fact, Bruce Campbell who did the demon in "Terms of Endearment" was apparently considered at some point to become John Doggett! thankfully that wasn't the case, that would've been so ackward.

Terry O'Quinn (from Lost and Millennium) played 3 different characters during The X-Files run. A detective in "Aubrey", FBI AIC Michaud in the movie, and the shadow man in "TrustNo1".

Hope that helps!

MattDuff

[4]Dec 17, 2005
    • level: 15
    Umm...you misspelling Alex Krycek is more upsetting than the other stuff you mentioned. LOL.

In the Pilot, Mulder said he was in his room asleep and he heard his sister yelling for help and then she was abducted, but in Little Green Men it is revealed they were in the living room playing a board game (Risk? I think). And that his parents were at the neighbors house, and she was abducted then. But you could say that the false story was just a result of blurred memories of Mulder's regression hypnosis...

I don't really care about recycling actors...as long as they aren't main characters with reoccuring rolls.

MattDuff

[5]Dec 17, 2005
    They have characters named John Gillnitz more than once. In Wetwired the man murdered by the woman who thought she was his wife was named John Gillnitz as was the person in Jump the Shark. And I think there is another one, maybe in Dreamland, I'm not exactly sure.

schmuckatelly

[6]Dec 18, 2005
    What about the agent, I forget his name, he played the agent that turned out to be CSM's son and he also played the young CSM in Musings and I think he might have played another role too. I'm not going to bust out the DVD's like some of you would but I'd appreciate some confirmation on this.

And then there's the one dude that played a few roles like the flukeworm dude and the playa that impregnated all those chicks in that one. Wow. I'm so out of it. I dont know the names or the episodes for this guy.

And then there's....oh....nevermind

MattDuff

[7]Dec 18, 2005
    schmuckatelly wrote:
    What about the agent, I forget his name, he played the agent that turned out to be CSM's son and he also played the young CSM in Musings and I think he might have played another role too. I'm not going to bust out the DVD's like some of you would but I'd appreciate some confirmation on this.

And then there's the one dude that played a few roles like the flukeworm dude and the playa that impregnated all those chicks in that one. Wow. I'm so out of it. I dont know the names or the episodes for this guy.

And then there's....oh....nevermind

Chris Owens played CSM's son and young CSM.

Darin Morgan played the flukeworm, I don't remember the other character he plays. He wrote four episodes, Humbug, War of the Coprophages, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outerspace.

NDPZepp

[8]Dec 18, 2005
    • level: 4
    Agent Spender. I don't know if they gave his first name ever maybe they did I just always thought it was Spender.

CGB Spender is the CSM's real name or the real name given. It was probably also a sudenym(sp?)

schmuckatelly

[9]Dec 18, 2005
    Isn't Agent Spender's first name Jeff or Jeffery or something?

viggogirl1

[10]Dec 19, 2005
    It is Jeffrey Spender; you had it right.

Fox-the-hobbit

[11]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 1
    There was one guy who played a character with a speaking role in Space and also played the boys dad in Detour. i think he was in another episode too but I can't remember which one.

historylover20

[12]Dec 31, 2005
    • level: 28
    schmuckatelly wrote:

He played the Frankenstein-ish monster in "The Post-Modern Prometheus."

Kat

wingshock

[13]Jan 8, 2006
    • level: 3
    Also the lady sheriff deputy in "Detour" ... that same actress played one of those lesbian chicks in "All Things."

Recycling the actors doesn't bother me with most shows, because the identity doesn't much matter. I mean, on a sitcom for example, I could care less.

But yeah, it bothered me on the X-Files a little bit because it's a show where almost EVERYTHING mattered. I mean, remember how we sprained our brains trying to figure stuff out? So something like the same face or name could make a big difference.

headmonkeys

[14]Jan 9, 2006
    • level: 7
    Detective Manners (the "bleep" cop) in season 3's 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space' is played by Larry Musser. He also plays Captain Jack Bonsaint in season 5's 'Chinga'.

Stitchme2gether

[15]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 3

schmuckatelly wrote:
    Darin Morgan played the flukeworm, I don't remember the other character he plays. He wrote four episodes, Humbug, War of the Coprophages, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outerspace.

In Small Potatoes, Darin Morgan's character was Eddie Van Blundht.

"B-L-U-N-D-H-T. The H is silent." Oh man, it kills me everytime I see this episode. When M&S go to his house and on the name plate by the front door, the H falls off. I don't know why, but it gets me everytime.

xloverin

[16]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 16
    Stitchme2gether wrote:

schmuckatelly wrote:

"B-L-U-N-D-H-T. The H is silent." Oh man, it kills me everytime I see this episode. When M&S go to his house and on the name plate by the front door, the H falls off. I don't know why, but it gets me everytime.

It's an inner joke for or from DD, because the H in Duchovny is silent too :-)

X_Arcadia_X

[17]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 13
    xloverin wrote:
    Stitchme2gether wrote:

schmuckatelly wrote:

It's an inner joke for or from DD, because the H in Duchovny is silent too :-)

I didn't realise that! Haha that's really good

FayCoughlin

[18]Dec 16, 2011
    • level: 1

Thank god I'm not the only one! And there is more. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, have the full collection and can watch the entire series + movies over and over but... W/o naming actors and quoting exact S & E's -

Fortune teller from 'Clyde Brucman's final repose' (who's character was murdered, mind you) also played the hypnotist in 'Jose Chung's "From Outer Space'". Did they think we wouldn't realise or remember? They were 16 episodes apart and within the same season, for crying out loud!

Detective from 'Aubrey' also played a part as a lead assignment FBI agent in a later episode who sacrifices his own life whilst attempting to defuse a bomb in a soda vending machine. He also featured in yet another episode toward the end of the series as one of Scully's covert informants.

Skinner's lawyer in the 'Avatar' episode was also the adoptee mother of one of the Eve's (if I am not mistaken) and I'm fairly sure she's played some other roles in the series as well. Derp!

Now don't quote me on this one but I'm 90% certain that the guy who played the lift operater in the episode 'Ascension' (who was killed by Krycek) also plays the part of a disturbed Viet Vet in 'Unrequited'. OMFG

What's the go with 'Demons'? Is that guy playing the same character as the one he is introduced as later? IDFK

The medical examiner in 'War of the Coprophages'... isn't that the same dude who Mulder visits when he needs that spiritual photography crap analysed. i think the difference there is in one of his roles he doesn't wear glasses LOL.

The alien baseball player in 'The Unnatural'... pretty sure I've seen him in ealrier episodes. Head investigator on the Tooms case later featured as a crap kicking agent who gets bossed around alot by Scully... I don't think we were meant to relate the two characters to one another =P

The lucky guy from 'The Goldberg Variation' was earlier known as the "potman" from the episode 'The Walk'.

Billy Miles... not sure he was originally cast with that character name. Could be wrong. I'm gunna have to do some deeper digging. IMDB should be able to help uncover all the inconsistencies and discrepencies. I don't know what is sadder, the fact that they were cheap ass enough to recycle these actors or the fact that I notice it.

Edited on 12/16/2011 2:58am
    Edited 2 total times.

OnePerCentClub

[19]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 35
    I think it is okay to recycle actors when the first role isn't as relevant.
    For me, Nicholas Lea's first character wasn't relevant, but Alex Krycek was.

If I'm not mistaken, Gillian Barber, who played Penny Northern in a couple of episodes, played two different roles before playing Penny. So I remember her by the last role played, which was relevant, not the previous two.

And several actors who were in the series were in the last movie as well.

ChipsTheButler

[20]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    There just are only so many decent actors in Canada.