The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

ABC Game

Aventina

[82]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 5

I is for

Indescretion, youthful, that made shippers everywhere cringe

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Writer203

[85]May 5, 2009
    • level: 9

This seems like a fun game, and thought I'm only a novice X-Files fan (I only started watching it a month and a half ago), I thought I'd give it a shot.

L is for the Lone Gunmen

DrTrish197

[87]May 6, 2009
    • level: 18
    oh my goodness, i love hearing about new fans..... have you guys finished the entire series yet???? what have you got to say about it so far??? ive been a fan since it started, but after the show went off the air i was kinda dead for a few years then rumors about IWTB came and i got addicted all over again....

Piper_freeze

[88]May 6, 2009
    • level: 19
    Trish, what about now that the hype is over? Do you still feel 100% of your xf love? I absolutely do but I am not so sure about some other people.

xloverin

[89]May 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    I don't think that being a fan depends that much from the popularity of a show. I 'stopped' being a fan during the series and got addicted again more than one year before IWTB. At that time I had no idea that a movie was even in consideration....but, new fans are always a refreshment ;-)

Piper_freeze

[90]May 6, 2009
    Sure.. but some people have really lost interest.. or are losing it and I wonder why that is, how it comes and if it comes back when XF3 is announced.

Piper_freeze

[92]May 7, 2009
    Keep watching in order. It's the best way! And season nine is not so bad! At least in my book. ^^

Piper_freeze

[94]May 7, 2009
    That sounds fantastic. I wish I could go back again and see it all for the first time.. Enjoy it!

Aventina

[95]May 7, 2009
    • level: 5
    Piper_freeze wrote:
    Trish, what about now that the hype is over? Do you still feel 100% of your xf love? I absolutely do but I am not so sure about some other people.

This is an interesting question. I think fandom has a kind of synergy. While we all have our own, individual love for the show, when there's something new out there it builds the energy, and then we build that into our own excitement. A new movie justifies our devotion.

As an example of how crazy I was the first time around, I made everyone at the rehearsal dinner for my wedding watch The Blessing Way. I had waited all summer to find out what happened after CSM shouted "BURN IT!" and I wasn't going to rely on any VCR. We all sat around in my MIL's living room with fancy sandwiches and the tv on.

I don't think I could get away with that now because it's not in the public limelight anymore. It's not as socially acceptable to be obsessed with a show that's been off the air for 7 years, you know? It's hard to even mention it in conversation anymore. Every once in awhile you'll find someone else who was a fan, but for the most part you're stuck in the closet IRL.

Piper_freeze

[96]May 7, 2009
    Interesting and true what you said. You're right, it is not socially accepted to be a fan of something that isn't up-to-date. If you say you love Bones, noone will find that weird. If you say you love X-Files, people will be suspicious of you. Suspicious because it means that you really, really love the show and don't just 'love' it in terms of spending an evening per week in front of the tv to watch it. And in the end, that comes down to loving a show being socially unacceptable. It's cool to like it but when you LOVE it, you must be an obsessed weirdo with no life. That might even be true in some cases. People don't have a life so they escape into the world of their favorite tv show and characters. X-Files is very different, though, because it's truly stimulating and enrichening your life. Since I have realised this, I am proud to be a Phile. I wish everybody was.

Writer203

[98]May 7, 2009
    • level: 9

DrTrish197 wrote:
    oh my goodness, i love hearing about new fans..... have you guys finished the entire series yet???? what have you got to say about it so far??? ive been a fan since it started, but after the show went off the air i was kinda dead for a few years then rumors about IWTB came and i got addicted all over again....

I was too young to watch it when it first aired (I think I was about three when the pilot aired), but I was sick a month or so ago and was looking for something to entertain me. So, I chose The X-Files, and am now completely addicted.

I watched pretty sporadically from the latter seasons before deciding to watch it from the beginning. At the moment, I'm almost all the way through season three (I'm watching "Jose Chung's: From Outer Space" as I'm typing this), and IWTB. Of course, now that I'm watching the MSR relationship develop from the beginning, it makes the later season episodes that much more emotional.

As for being a Phile, I haven't really encountered any negative attitudes about it. My friends are kind of sick of hearing about it, but that's about it.

And to continue the game....

N is for non-fiction science fiction

DrTrish197

[99]May 7, 2009
    • level: 18
    yeah i absolutely am not embarrassed to tell people im a huge fan.... i don't really understand when ppl act like its weird.... i mean come on its like the smartest, most romantic show out there how can u not love it????? i still feel the same way towards it as i did before... maybe even a little more now than in the past actually.... but i think it was because of the whole 6 years of not having the show anymore and i got busy with other things and i didnt really have this phile community until IWTB... i only had like a couple of friends who used to watch it when it was on the air and we didnt watch it together... so i really didnt have anyone to talk to.... except my mom who is probably fed up with my talks about aliens and conspiracies.... but i dont think im ever gonna get to the point where i cant have enough... especially with the movies and if they keep making more.... theres always that hope and anticipation.... i think thats a good feeling