The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Believers VS. Skeptics

If you were investigating X-Files, which do you think it's smarter to be?

Telekinesis429

[1]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 8
    If you were investigating real life X-Files, somehow, which do you think it would be wiser to be? The Believer - who can accept the world as a place were paranormal things occur. Or The Skeptic - who challenges the world and tries to find the scientific answer. My opinion is that it's better to be a skeptic, because if your a believer, you might be a little to gullible to investigate the paranormal. You would probably believe anything someone tells you. However, if your a skeptic, you'd look for a scientific reasoning behind the "paranormal" events of the world.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xloverin

[2]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 16
    Interesting... I'd say believer. Using Mulder's words: 'We work 5 years together, how many times was I wrong?' :-)

Frankburnsflagg

[3]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 13
    Interesting... I'll have to null vote this one. I tend to think that it's safest to be a combination of the two. Somewhat of a believer and somewhat of a skeptic.

Pennfana

[4]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 6

I'm with you on that one, Esther. On one hand, you need to believe that there's something going on, whether or not it's what it looks like at the first glance. You need to have faith that there's more to the world than what science is currently capable of confirming. But on the other hand, you need a healthy dose of scepticism, too, so that you don't get taken in by fakers and frauds who are very good at convincing people—especially people who want to believe—that they're telling the truth when they aren't. A sceptic will often see things that a believer won't, just as a believer will see things that a sceptic won't—or can't—see.

Frankburnsflagg

[5]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 13
    Pennfana wrote:

I'm with you on that one, Esther. On one hand, you need to believe that there's something going on, whether or not it's what it looks like at the first glance. You need to have faith that there's more to the world than what science is currently capable of confirming. But on the other hand, you need a healthy dose of scepticism, too, so that you don't get taken in by fakers and frauds who are very good at convincing people-especially people who want to believe-that they're telling the truth when they aren't. A sceptic will often see things that a believer won't, just as a believer will see things that a sceptic won't-or can't-see.

Yep so true, so true. Basically, a person would have to be like what Scully was in the end... not totally a skeptic yet not totally a believer... same with Mulder only in reverse . They met in the middle in the end when it came to their beliefs .

Auxtran

[6]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 11

I'm 100% a believer

The idea we're alone in a universe as large and varied as ours is really tragic. There HAS to be something else, something better, or at least different.

Us being the only life in the cosmos would be like having a really huge canvas, and doing a really intricate and beautiful drawing in only 1 corner of it.

Fugabutacus

[7]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 10
    Auxtran wrote:

I'm 100% a believer

The idea we're alone in a universe as large and varied as ours is really tragic. There HAS to be something else, something better, or at least different.

Us being the only life in the cosmos would be like having a really huge canvas, and doing a really intricate and beautiful drawing in only 1 corner of it.

I agree. Also, this is the second time i've quoted a post of yours today lol. The other was in the simpsons forum, in case ya wonderin'.

DrTrish197

[8]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 18
    seeing as i am a scientist myself i would say im a skeptic... but that doesn't necessarily mean i don't believe... if you show me an educated guess, i'll try to see if you are correct or not... ppl tend to think that scientists are always trying to say everyone is wrong and that we are always right, but honestly that's not the case... we simply want evidence of what you're saying... we just don't believe something just cause someone said so... we need proof, regardless of the outcome... i absolutely believe that we are not alone out there, but i don't go around believing everything people say just cause they say so... we need educated guesses....

wittyscreenname

[9]Aug 24, 2008
    Yes. I'm a scientist-esque person, too (-esque, because I still have two years 'til I complete my degree) and I do believe that the scientific--or skeptic--background is needed to somewhat ground you, but I believe that it is equally important to have your mind laid open, and not tunnel-visioned towards purely scientific facts.

I see myself as appearing to most as a Scully, but I'll always be a bit more of a Mulder at heart.

OnePerCentClub

[10]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 35

I think that if I were in an investigation, I think I would see all the evidence and facts so I can come up with a theory or an opinion.

I am an skeptic, because I believe in science, but I also think that you gotta have an open mind because anything is possible, but again I think that almost everything has an explanation. I wouldn't let myself get carried away.

That's why they had Mulder and Scully, they balanced each other out and they were successful. Even when that wasn't the original plan...

Niniane

[11]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 9

Well, I suppose ot`s... safer to be skeptic. If you are a complete believer like Mulder, you`ll get dissapointed many times, and if you are skeptic like Scully, you`ll probably be able to expand your horizons after some time... Blah, I`m ranting...

But I guess I would be - a skeptic tjat eventually started to believe

Cristina_chavia

[12]Aug 25, 2008

I'd say, realistically, people are more likely to fall somewhere in the middle. For example, you may believe aliens exist but not that they're probing people on a regular basis. Scully herself has no problem with spontanious human combustion.

I'm not sure there is a strict science/belief divide. for one thing science is, in essense, about discovery. If you don't go out looking for things you'll never find them. Let's face it, a lot of great scientists were thought of as nutters in their own time since they said something out of the ordinary.

Belief can also fuel knowledge. Mulder's interest led to an absolute wealth of knowledge about folklore and case notes and minutae someone else might miss. You couldn't be an expert in somethign that doesn't fuel your interest. But it's also handy to have another perspective and use scientific methodology (ie trying to disprove a theory rather than prove it).

wittyscreenname

[13]Aug 25, 2008
    ^ Well said, Cri.

Actually, when I first checked out this poll, I wondered why there wasn't a third option to cover the gray area in-between...That is what I would have chosen.

Piper_freeze

[14]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 19
    So much for little gray areas...

Telekinesis429

[15]Aug 25, 2008
    Yeah, sorry guys. I forgot to add that one. I thought of it after I hit submit...

xloverin

[16]Aug 25, 2008
    I'm glad you didn't add it, because then it would be no poll, everyone (including me) would vote for that option, because it's logically the best one.

mimoji

[17]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 14
    I'm saying this now without having read any of the other responses... A believer, but that doesn't mean you have to believe EVERYTHING

Niniane

[18]Aug 26, 2008

"Is there anything you DON`T believe, Mulder?"

LOL

Katara0017

[19]Aug 27, 2008
    I think enought skeptik to not believe it at the first time and enough believer to said Ok i believe for example a man came to me and said "Ey i saw an UFO" i must remain skeptik until too see or investigate and get proffs that uits possible that the man saw it so then, and only then, i could said "OK maybe... yeh it is possible" but without proffs its difficult to believe such thing so i think 50-50

Aly358

[20]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    Am I a believer or a skeptic? hmmm well I guess that depends on the subject. I mean I don't believe in mushroom like organisms who ooze halluzinogens to eat you alive while you think you got away
    But I am more than willing to believe that there is something we can't explain with science...yet. We have to let our imagination inspire the questions we want to answer next. But I do believe that ultimately science will give us an explanation for everything.
    So maybe I am a believer in skepticism?