The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Fav non-mytho episodes.

pee_ter_griffen

[1]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 4

What is your favorite monster of the week episode.

My top 5:

1. 103. Squeeze
    2. 220. Humbug
    3. 312. War of the Coprophages
    4. 320. Jose Chung's From Outer Space
    5. 410. Paper Hearts

Love to hear yours.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Frankburnsflagg

[2]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 13

Hmm...

1 X-Cops -- Mulder and Scully in the 'real' world, nuff' said

Edited on 06/26/2008 8:28pm

xloverin

[3]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 16
    All are on the first place:

Dod Kalm
    Chinga
    Bad Blood
    Field Trip
    Medusa

Niniane

[4]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 9

Bad blood

Syzgy

War of coprophages

Orison

Hollywood AD

Squeeze&Tooms

... oh, God, there are too many!...

and how-is-it-called-when they stuck in the forrest, being eaten by hallucinogen mushrums...

xloverin

[5]Jun 27, 2008
    Niniane wrote:

and how-is-it-called-when they stuck in the forrest, being eaten by hallucinogen mushrums...

Field Trip, Nin :-D

Niniane

[6]Jun 27, 2008
    Yeah, of course

akaisling

[7]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 17
    Oh my such a tough choice..Hmmm I'll pick 5 like you've done. [In no particular order]

1. Beyond the Sea
    2. Wetwired
    3. Improbable
    4. X-Cops
    5. Monday

mimoji

[8]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 14
    1) folie a deux
    2) monday
    3) detour
    4) x-cops
    5) vienen

aph148

[9]Jun 27, 2008
    Ooo hard, hard!
    Hmmm, how to pick only 5 - oh, I know:

1. Post modern prometheus
    2. Bad Blood
    3. Paper Hearts
    4. Field Trip
    5. Small potatoes
    5. Folie a deux
    5. How the ghosts stole christmas
    5. Kill switch

Aventina

[10]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    1. Jose Chung's From Outer Space
    2. Bad Blood
    3. Milagro
    4. Post-Modern Prometheus
    5. The Unnatural
    5. Small Potatoes
    5. Improbable

I just can't decide between those last three, and there are so many others that come SO close!

Pennfana

[11]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 6

Wow, that's a tough one.

1. The Unnatural (I especially love the music in this one)

2. all things

3. Bad Blood

4. The Rain King

5. The Field Where I Died

torn_and_frayed

[12]Jun 28, 2008

ARGGHH really tough erm...

off the top of my head + in no particular order:

Bad Blood
    Small Potatoes
    War of the Coprophages
    Arcadia
    Dreamland
    Post Modern Prometheus
    Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"
    Humbug

ok, so i had a little trouble only chosing 5 - shoot me.

Edited on 06/28/2008 8:12am

pee_ter_griffen

[13]Jun 29, 2008
    Okay as the starter of this thread I have realized that this was an impossible to answer question so I am amending it to top 10.

1. Squeeze & Tooms - It's Creepy. The X-files starting to understand what it was. Brilliant.
    2. Humbug - The first funny episode. Darin Morgen was the best writer the show had in it's run & this is a perfect example
    3. War of the Coprophages - Killer cockroaches exept it was all in their head. The panic in the supermarket is priceless
    4. Jose Chung's From Outer Space - "I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons without learning anything about courage
    5. Pusher & Kitsunegari - Robert Wisden is scary. The Russian Roulette scene at the end of pusher is classic
    6. Home - The only episode of the show I ever felt sick after. Scary. And Mulder has the classic line when they're amongst the pigs "Scully would you thing less of me as a man if I told you I was turned on right now"
    7. Small Potatoes - Uber writter Darin Morgin returns as Eddie Van Blundht with an "H" The scene where he hits on scully is possibily the funniest moment in X-Files history. And the Taxi Driver moment.
    8. Unusual Suspects - Due to the movie the lone gunman got a full episode and it is one of the best. And langley is told that his kung fu is the best.
    9. Bad Blood - Luke Wilson in Mulder's eyes. "You must be the gove-ment people" & Mulder through Scully's eyes with the slides. My eyes fill up with tears thinking about it.
    10. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose - One of the greatest hours in TV history. Period.

OK. There that's better. Now you can have a little room to take in some air.

akaisling

[14]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 17
    Haha..Yes although 10 is still tough.

1. Beyond the Sea
    2. Wetwired
    3. Improbable
    4. X-Cops
    5. Monday 6. Bad Blood
    7. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
    8. Post Modern Promoetheus
    9. Home [Even though it was very creepy]
    10. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas

Piper_freeze

[15]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 19
    Pee-ter all the episodes you chose are absolutely fantastic ones! Interesting to read your reasons, too! Off topic but did you know that in the supermarket scene in 'War of the coprophages' the car crash wasn't supposed to be? XD Gillian kept acting so they could leave the car crash in the scene. Very cool, isn't it?

aprildo777

[16]Jun 29, 2008

My picks:

1. bad blood- one of my all time favorite episodes. so so funny! you cant beat the difference between Mulder's and Scully's versions of events. "That is... essentially... exactly the way it happened"

2. post modern prometheus- a black and white, comic styled classic about a mad scientist and his Frankenstein Cher-loving monster. and Mulder and Scully dancing. it doesnt get better than that.

3. hollywood ad- Skinman, bubblebaths, hollywood, and the catholic church. plus some Mulder-Scully hand-holding!

4. arcadia- "Woman, get back in here and make me a sandwich!"

5. dreamland- "I'd kiss you if you weren't so damn ugly."

6. all things- "And all the choices would then lead to this very moment." Mulder and Scully FINALLY sex it up.

7. monday- "You ever have one of those days, Scully?"

8. the unnatural- classic story with deeper meaning plus baseball spooning!

9. war of the coprophages- killer cockroaches and "her name is Bambi?"

10. clyde bruckman- "so how do i die" "you dont"

honorable mentions:

jose chung- "they just found your bleeping UFO."

how the ghosts stole christmas- "We haven't forgotten the meaning of Christmas."

first person shooter- jade blue afterglow and scully saving mulder's ass

detour- "Maybe if it rains sleeping bags you'll get lucky."

Edited on 06/29/2008 10:22am

XxClaraxX

[17]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 12

I'm up to Milagro in S6 so these are my thoughts up to now - in no specific order.

1. Milagro. Simply the best episode I've ever seen. I watched it last night and my heart was pounding throughout! Incredible.
    2. Ice. The episode which made me start this x-files quest to watch all the seasons before the film
    3. Irresistible. Been outc.lassed recently but still the best of season 2.
    4. War of the Coprophages. Too many laugh out loud moments!
    5. Wetwired. Purely because of Scully going all paranoid.
    6. Pusher. Chilling.
    7. Never Again. A much needed insight into Scully. Guilty pleasure
    8. Detour. Jeremiah scene one of my ultimate faves.
    9. Clyde Bruckman. What's that? Another character episode? I'm just a sucker for them.
    10. Bad Blood. Seeing the case through each other's eyes - hilarious!

Special honours: Beyond the Sea, One Breath (mytho?), Humbug, Home, Unruhe, Post-modern Prometheus....etc etc etc...

Phew, that was quite tough. I like the non-mytho episodes best, maybe it's my desire to have it all wrapped up in the hour. A one-off watch does it justice, unlike Redux.

I am bouncing off the walls waiting to watch The Unnatural and Orison. Squee.

Pennfana

[18]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 6

After a bit more consideration, I've re-shuffled my list a bit.

1. all things—This episode always reminds me of a quote from Hamlet that I've always liked: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, /Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." As usual, strange things happen to and around Scully, but instead of denying that they're happening, she allows herself to experience them. Her whole life might not have changed in a few days, as Mulder apparently thinks it has, but she does allow herself to see another point of view that's every bit as valid as the rigid scientific view that she's been clinging to even as she's been re-evaluating it. I also like GA's commentary for this episode on the DVD, but that's sort of irrelevant; this episode really is one of my favourites, and I find myself wishing that she'd written more episodes.

2. The Unnatural—This one had my attention almost from the very beginning; it was the third episode I ever saw. The story is interesting and I enjoy the humour. Besides, as I said before, I love the music in this episode.

3. Bad Blood—The stories that Scully and Mulder tell are so similar, but still so different; I couldn't help but notice that Mulder's memory of the sheriff gets a little more intelligent when the two of them are away from Scully. And Mulder's rendition of the "Shaft" theme is classic.

4. The Rain King—This is the one I usually put on in the background while I'm washing dishes. I like the idea of someone having SAD in reverse, affecting the weather with their emotions. Plus, the flying cow scene is just so thoroughly ridiculous that it always brings a smile to my face, no matter how bad my mood is.

5. The Field Where I Died—Now, I know that this one isn't all that popular with most of my fellow 'shippers. Still, I do believe in reincarnation (I've had some experiences that I can't explain any other way, such as finding that I knew my way around one place where I'd never been to before in this lifetime), so this episode was immediately interesting to me on that basis. But I don't believe in one thing that people seem to take for granted about "soul mates" and people you reincarnate with: that if you play a certain role in one life, you're stuck with it forever, which is probably why the whole Sullivan Biddle/Sara Kavanaugh thing didn't really bother me.

6. Triangle—I love the way that this episode was shot, the fact that nobody seems to be able to figure out whether what happened to Mulder actually did happen to him, and the way that he apparently almost changes history.

7. Kitsunegari—This may be the only episode where the villain suddenly becomes one of the good guys. It's almost like Modell, after having been beaten by Mulder two years before, has developed respect for him and is now trying to do him a favour while still protecting the twin sister he's probably learned about only recently.

8. The Post-Modern Prometheus—Frankenstein is one of the few books that I've gone back to and enjoyed after having to pick it apart in three separate English classes (once in high school and twice in university). This episode seems to be a logical modern-day twist on the Frankenstein story, and though I know it's not exactly high on my top-10 list, it's one of the episodes that I find myself going back to more often than most others.

9. Milagro—As an amateur writer, I find this one to be extremely interesting; just how far can the power of the imagination go? Not the sort of episode I like to watch alone in the dark, but still fascinating and perfect for those "I want to watch something that's really weird" moods.

10. Kill Switch—I know that this pre-dates The Matrix by at least a year and a half, but I couldn't help but enjoy the similarities. Kung-fu Scully comes to mind, as does the "glitch in the Matrix" type thing that happens when Mulder realizes that she's not really there. I also thought that the idea of an artificial intelligence that outgrows its creators and could rule the world if it wanted to is pretty fascinating. (That's probably why "The Footprints of God" by Greg Iles is one of my favourite books.)

pee_ter_griffen

[19]Jun 30, 2008
    I would have added Triangle but the transfer on the DVD is so terrible that I find the episode to be unwatchable.

torn_and_frayed

[20]Jul 1, 2008
    torn_and_frayed wrote:

ARGGHH really tough erm...

off the top of my head + in no particular order:

Bad Blood
    Small Potatoes
    War of the Coprophages
    Arcadia
    Dreamland
    Post Modern Prometheus
    Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"
    Humbug

ok, so i had a little trouble only chosing 5 - shoot me.

after the amendment to top 10, to my 8 i shall add...

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose + Detour.