The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Monica Reyes (played by: Annabeth Gish)

spooky_marc

[1]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 6
    I've searched all the X-files forum-topics, but there was no-one about the Monica Reyes character, played by Annabeth Gish. So what do you people think about her, the role, the actress, her input in The X-files, etc...?
    Just like John Doggett she was an like an intruder in a great show, based on the work of Mulder & Scully. However, I guess that Patrick Robert had an much harder time when he first appeares in The X-files than Annabeth did. She was already introduced in season eight's episode: This is not happening. She is an expert in the field of folklore and mythology and has an open mind.
    Definitly they were trying to make a new working couple with someone who's only believing in facts and the one who has an open mind. The reason that they never were succesfulf as M&S is because they are not them, but they were looked that way.
    What I'm saying is that I liked the character of Monica Reyes. Annabeth did a great job as Monica. Only one bad thing of the character was that she smoked... but hey, will all great things you'll have some bad things to.

Anyway, here you can discusse everything involving Monica Reyes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

schmuckatelly

[2]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 5
    I never did like Monica. To me, Gish doesn't look the part. She doesn't look believable for the show at all. I thought her character premise was silly. I didn't like how she was all psychic. Mulder and Scully used their intelligence and experience to solve cases or form theories. Reyes would just get "a strange feeling" or "a vision" and we're supposed to buy that? I don't think so. Sorry to those Reyes fans but she just never grew on me.

spooky_marc

[3]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 6
    schmuckatelly wrote:
    I never did like Monica. To me, Gish doesn't look the part. She doesn't look believable for the show at all. I thought her character premise was silly. I didn't like how she was all psychic. Mulder and Scully used their intelligence and experience to solve cases or form theories. Reyes would just get "a strange feeling" or "a vision" and we're supposed to buy that? I don't think so. Sorry to those Reyes fans but she just never grew on me.

Maybe her intelligence was her intuition? I think she could approach the things from another point of view. Maybe experience on the field of folklore and mythology, things that Mulder, Scully or Doggett would never thought about.
    But Mulder had also strange methodes, he always was very impulsive in his actions when it concerned alien-abduction. Owkay, he wasn't always wrong, but most of the times he put his and Scully's live in danger with his taking care of bussiness.

schmuckatelly

[4]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 5

Well I wouldn't consider psychic visions "intelligence" but rather an "ability." But even still it's like a cop out for solving the case.

Monica: "This is an X-file I just know it."

Doggett: "Why's that?"

Monica: "I just had this feeling."

Come on now. So we're just supposed to go "ok?" I enjoyed the contrast of elements of the show. One angle deals with science and logical explanations (Scully), one deals with radical belief in the paranormal and imaginative explanations and theories (Mulder), one deals with the uncertainty of whether bureaucracy may or may not hinder their efforts (Skinner, CSM, etc.) and another angle is the perspective of the audience. Sometimes we knew more than Mulder and Scully throughout the story.

It just made more sense to watch Mulder and Scully attempt to solve an X-file while struggling with conflicting theories and methods. That was the premise of the show and Reyes' character caused it to stray from that.  Even Doggett's character held true to the original premise. While he was also a skeptic like Scully, he solved cases using his experience as a policeman and raw street smarts.  Reyes was the believer but in a way that just didn't seem consistent to the show. It took away the human quality of the agents and gave them inhuman abilities. She had no character development either.  She had no tragedy like Mulder and Doggett.

With Reyes she just gets a feeling or a vision and she's onto something and we're just supposed to accept it. The science part was removed when Reyes was there. Even if Scully was involved it's like it didn't matter anyway. Scully became a sideshow. Even in the later episodes Mulder created accurate theories within the first five minutes of the episode and sort of diminished the element of suspense for which many episodes had potential. Even that bugged me. I'm really critical as you can see.

Edited on 12/19/2006 12:20am

CSM135

[5]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 22
    When i saw an episode with her for the first time i thought she was a pyschic.

bluejayfusion

[6]Aug 30, 2010
    • level: 16

This is completely overdue, but yes, I agree, I have no affection for the 'Monica Reyes' character.She is a cheery oddball in a show full of serious characters.

Mulder and Scully are appropriately funny and snarky and intuitive when the situation or episode call for it. Reyes seems like she just kind of walked in and isn't in on the show and its nuances. To see someone who always seems inexplicably chipper and optimistic, sharing with the other characters her expertise on cult murders and satanism is jarring. Her acting is wooden and her inflections are bizarre- I suspect she may have gone to the Elizabeth Rohm school of acting.

Scully82

[7]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 4

I really didn't have a problem with Monica Reyes. It did sort of feel like they had just thrown her into the show, but her character worked I think.

ChipsTheButler

[8]Mar 15, 2011
    • level: 9
    She had nice shoes (I have a thing for feet)

tv_Rescue911

[9]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 50
    I didn't like her when she was first introduced in season 8, but my opinion of her went up after the episode "4-D". I thought she was underdeveloped compared to the other lead characters, and she didn't have much of a backstory. Granted, Scully didn't have much backstory at the beginning of the series, but it was interesting watching her grow from skeptic to believer over the course of the series. Reyes was already a believer, but she had no backstory like Mulder, which left little room for character development.