TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

The 'Official' X-Files Movie 2 Thread

Aventina

[5241]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    OMG the book is AMAZING!!! There are hidden features like a newspaper from the lone gunmman and production cards and posters and pics upon pics!!! Its awesome--WAY worth the money!!!

I got that book, too. I've read up to the end of season five, and I have to say I'm disappointed in it. I feel like it's been slapped together without much care in the way it was written. The pictures are beautiful, I'll give it that. And the extras are cute. I'm glad to have the iconic poster.

But did no one edit or proofread it? Almost every single page has some kind of mistake on it - sometimes punctuation, sometimes spelling, sometimes even content. The sheer volume of editing mistakes is unforgiveable - the publisher should never have let it be printed like that.

The labels for the pictures are the worst - there's out and out misinformation in them, either saying the pic is from the wrong epi or naming the wrong actor or whatever. It's so annoying. This book could have been definitive and brilliant, but the technical problems are distracting.

I know that I have read a LOT abot XF. But I feel like the people who write a book should know more than I do and shouldn't be making those kinds of mistakes. Also, there's not a whole lot in there that I haven't read before or isn't on the DVD commentaries. I don't feel like it delivered what it promised.

Still, I'm happy to have it. Reading it is kind of addictive. Plus, over the last six years several of my favourite XF websites have disappeared (anyone remember the reviews at amaroq? That site got hacked and destroyed about 18 months ago....I was devastated. It was the best place for good, intelligent discussion of themes and actually treated the XF as literature rather than pop fluff like some sites do), and there may come a time when most internet sources aren't there anymore. I've considered pasting all the stuff at CTP into a word file so I'll always have it! But this book will always sit on my shelf with its little tidbits of information.

JMHO. I'm glad I only paid $26 instead of the advertised $65.

Aven
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5242]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 15
    yeah I noticed a lot of errors too--like with the quoting from scenes and stuff...but I'm kinda used to that..it happens a lot when you read all those unofficial type books. But I doesn't bother me too much. I just got an over-all feeling of nostalgia. The only annoying thing I will point out is when CC said that he has been telling us all those years that *Fox* was the name of a neighborhood friend, and it turns out that he was lying and just liked the name--uh...oooook.

OnePerCentClub

[5243]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 35
    I know... And I also noticed that in the Golden Globes Awards, they don't mention that they won one for best drama in 1995. The X-Files won 5 of them. But I really enjoyed the book. Some day when I have children, I want them to come to my library, read the book and then ask me about the show. I'll tell them all about it and then make them watch the DVD's with me.

OnePerCentClub

[5244]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 35
    keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    OMG the book is AMAZING!!! There are hidden features like a newspaper from the lone gunmman and production cards and posters and pics upon pics!!! Its awesome--WAY worth the money!!!

It totally was!!!

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5245]Dec 26, 2008
    oh god, I was psyched about getting the book, and when I opened it I was looking thru it with my husband and I was like--this is cool...and then I took it by myself and was like *hey--what's this?* and found the front compartment with the goodies...and I noticed the little bee imprint (Squee!) and after like a half hour I made my way to the end and was like--there's aNOTHER pouch? and pulled out the posters!!! I was like AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Scifinerdd10

[5246]Dec 27, 2008
    • level: 14
    AHHH I GOT THIS BOOK FOR CHRISTMAS TOOOOO! my grandma got it for me and i just got it yesterday. omg i love it. i dont care if theres mistakes in it. im just so happy to have it. and theres so many cool pictures and stuff. and all the goodies in the envelopes on the front and back cover are awesome! mistakes or no mistakes, im so glad she got it for me. i absolutely love it.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5247]Dec 27, 2008
    right on! mistakes, shmistakes...

puzzlingpixie

[5248]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 12
    It sounds cool, but I probably won't buy it. I am so anal about mistakes and such in books that I'm not quite sure how I would react to it.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5249]Dec 29, 2008
    Nooooooooo its worth it!!! There's really not that many and not a big deal. It is so worth the money--just for the pics and little captions and cute things they stick in there *sighs*

Scifinerdd10

[5250]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 14
    keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    Nooooooooo its worth it!!! There's really not that many and not a big deal. It is so worth the money--just for the pics and little captions and cute things they stick in there *sighs*
    totally agreeee. omg you should have seen me when i first got mine. it was on saturday and i had just gotten home from somewhere (dont remember now). but my dad had left it wrapped and in my room and i was on the phone when i pulled back the first sliver of paper and as soon as i saw it i knew exactly what it was and i just SCREAMED lol at the top of my lungs. my friend on the phone was like wtf. hahah and i ran in the room where my dad was and just like flailed my arms and fell on the floor hahahah he laughed at me

puzzlingpixie

[5251]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    Scifinerdd10 wrote:
    keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    totally agreeee. omg you should have seen me when i first got mine. it was on saturday and i had just gotten home from somewhere (dont remember now). but my dad had left it wrapped and in my room and i was on the phone when i pulled back the first sliver of paper and as soon as i saw it i knew exactly what it was and i just SCREAMED lol at the top of my lungs. my friend on the phone was like wtf. hahah and i ran in the room where my dad was and just like flailed my arms and fell on the floor hahahah he laughed at me

I wish I could've seen that.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5252]Dec 30, 2008
    omg...to be a fly on heather's wall

Piper_freeze

[5254]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 19
    Yep! Me! I would have liked that if it were a kind of bonus thing you can switch on or off..!

CaptainHarkness

[5255]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 23
    I went to the book store the other day and I saw that book, I almost bought it until I looked at the price. It would be some nice to have though.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5256]Jan 2, 2009
    I know, its expensive, but...its awesome. If you are an XF fanatic, its totally worth it.

CaptainHarkness

[5257]Jan 2, 2009
    keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    I know, its expensive, but...its awesome. If you are an XF fanatic, its totally worth it.
    Only if you have to buy it.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5258]Jan 2, 2009
    grrrrrr....*gg*

CaptainHarkness

[5259]Jan 3, 2009
    What I meant to say was Only if you have the money to buy it.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[5260]Jan 3, 2009
    i understand. i mean logically i shouldn't have bought it, but i tend to have diahrrea of the wallet. but yeah, i guess i would have to choose bills/food over it, sadly.