The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

The top ten X Files episode ever!

trustno1uk

[1]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 9
    I was just thinking about what the top episodes of the X Files are. Its so difficult to choose one but if i choose one i would have to say Requiem. Whats your top episodes?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

trustno1uk

[2]Dec 19, 2006
    Lets not forget episodes like ''Bad Blood'' and ''Jose Chung's from out of space'' they where two great episodes wern't they?

Nebuchanezzar

[3]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    Oooh, a list thread? Ok.

10. The Post Modern Prometheus
    9. Duane Barry
    8. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
    7. Gethsemane
    6. Anasazi
    5. Die Hand Die Vertletzt
    4. Paper Clip
    3. Memento Mori
    2. Redux
    1. Redux II
    Edited on 12/20/2006 4:08am

X-Greek

[4]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 7
    First of all welcome to the forums trustno1.
    I dont think i can make a top 10 out of so many great episodes...It is really hard tou know, to compare so many different great stories...
    Each one is tv at its best!

I can tell you though some i didnt like a lot..
    Episodes like the jersey Devil, Fight Club, the season 8 finale and more episodes from season 8-9, The Host, Firewalker, Grotesque, Alpha

X_Arcadia_X

[5]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 13

X-Greek wrote:
    First of all welcome to the forums trustno1. I dont think i can make a top 10 out of so many great episodes...It is really hard tou know, to compare so many different great stories... Each one is tv at its best! I can tell you though some i didnt like a lot.. Episodes like the jersey Devil, Fight Club, the season 8 finale and more episodes from season 8-9, The Host, Firewalker, Grotesque, Alpha

A person who doesn't like Grotesque! I've always hated that episode too but everyone else I've talked to seems to really like it! Yay I am not alone.

And my favourites list would probably be (not in a particular order, apart from the top two)...

1. Bad Blood
    2. Arcadia
    3. War of the Coprophages
    4. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
    5. Hollywood AD
    6. Je Souhaite
    7. Pusher
    8. Closure
    9. Humbug
    10. X-COPS

I'm a big fan of the funny episodes as you can see... but Closure was incredibly touching and even made me cry so I had to include it

kaitco

[6]Dec 20, 2006
    (Sigh) Everyone seems to hate most of the episodes I like, but here I are my Top Ten, in no particular order:

The Host
    Quagmire
    Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'
    The Field Where I Died
    Never Again
    Post-Modern Prometheus
    Bad Blood
    Triangle
    all things
    X-Cops

The ones I like the most are the ones that are out of the ordinary formula of: case intro, we learn more, they investigate, plot thickens and thriller ending.

maryjustine143x

[7]Dec 20, 2006

any of the really good episodes in seasons 7 or 8?? i just got addicted to the show but i only have seasons 7 and 8 and for the time being i dont have any channels that it is played on.. i will eventually... but i absolutely love the show and i would really like to see some of the "classic" episodes..

for the ones i have seen my favorite is "millenium" that was the first episode i saw and i was hooked the second i watched it.

SleepTight

[8]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 36
    this is very hard. I have to do a top 15. this can change any moment.

15: William
    14: Anasazi
    13: How The Ghost Stole Christmas
    12: Monday
    11: One Breath
    10: Home
    9: Paper Clip
    8: Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
    7: The End
    6: DeadAlive
    5: Closure
    4: Exitence
    3: The Post-Modern Prometheus
    2: Musings Of A Cigarette Smoking Man
    1: The Sixth Extinction: Amor Fati

dovestones

[9]Dec 20, 2006

Insanely difficult. These could change at any given moment but at this time I decided on:

1. Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"  2. Ice  3. Bad Blood  4. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose  5. E.B.E.  6. Beyond The Sea  7. Small Potatoes  8. Irresistible  9. Dreamland 1&2  10. Triangle.

Just missing out: Fallen Angel, Darkness Falls, The Host, Humbug, Triangle.

CSM135

[10]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 22
    I liked all of them but there were some that i just didn't really get.

10. Colony 9. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
    8. Three of a Kind
    7. Cylde Bruckman's Final Repose
    6. Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'
    5. Eve
    4. Unusual Suspects
    3. Anasazi
    2. Duane Berry
    1. Ascension

trustno1uk

[11]Dec 20, 2006

Mine have got to be: (not at all in order by the way)

1. Ice
    2. Anasazi
    3. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
    4. Jose Chung's From Outer Space
    5. The End
    6. One Son
    7. Requiem
    8. DeadAlive
    9. Millennium
    10. The Truth

trustno1uk

[12]Dec 20, 2006
    I've noticed that most people seem to like the older episodes of the X Files from mainly seasons 1-5. I wonder why this is.

scarlett_fever

[13]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 19

I usually hate doing top ten lists but I have incredibly way too much time on my hands today so...

In no order.

Wetwired
    Unruhe
    Small Potatoes
    Bad Blood
    Triangle
    Requiem
    Tunguska/Terma
    Dreamland I/II
    Ascension/One Breath (I'm cheating and combining these eps)

Honorable Mentions to:

Squeeze
    Folie a Deux
    Humbug
    Jose Chung's
    Paper Hearts

Edited on 12/20/2006 3:46pm

X-Greek

[14]Dec 20, 2006
    trustno1uk wrote:
    I've noticed that most people seem to like the older episodes of the X Files from mainly seasons 1-5. I wonder why this is.

Maybe because back then X-files hadnt lost their originalit and the mytharc episodes werent so confusing and the story was breathtaking..

Oh and Duchovny isnt anywhere around on seasons 8-9!

Nebuchanezzar

[15]Dec 20, 2006
    If you were confused by the mytharc after season 5, maybe this show wasn't for you. I found nothing more or less confusing about it, albeit it did become a little less enjoyable.

Also, Grotesque has got to be among my least favourite episodes, even if it did have some superb directing from Manners.

I'm a little disheartened at the amount of people who include the farce episodes in their top 5, consistently, as if saying that the best thing that The X-Files ever churned out were the likes of Badd Blood, Jose' Chung, Small Potatoes, Acardia and Dreamland. Yeah, they were good, but I just can't say that they were the peak of one of the best TV shows ever. They were heavily dependant on the characters established in the much more dramatic and enthralling mytharc episodes, and without those episodes to depend on they'd be pretty subpar. I mean, they were enjoyable, but better than the likes of Redux, Anasazi or The Sixth Extinction? I just can't bring myself to even sympathise with that point of view. I also happen to think that you might be watching the TV show for the wrong reasons...but that's just me...

X-Greek

[16]Dec 20, 2006
    OK i didnt say i was confused by later mytharc episodes...
    I said many fans consider it to be confusing, not me.

And if u had been reading my posts more carefully you would have observed that i liked Dogett and Reyes because in my opinion they did well in keeping the show on air for two years more, along with some great stand alone episodes(Audrey Pauley, Redrum, Via Negativa, John Doe, Jump the Shark, Release, Sunshine Days)..

As you said, i just found season 8-9 mytharc eps just not so enjoyable and trigering as other great moments of the series...

(Just for the record, i found season 6-7 mytharc episodes great)
    Now, if u found the whole supersoldiers idea really fascinating, or if u think the " oh my god Mulder jumped from the train, plz God dont make william an alien, how many Rohrers really exist?, Is Xena the holy messenger, really what happened to Jeffrey Spender?(as if he told us something new)" situations were tremendous mytharc story telling, then i cant argue more with you..i just found it needless and too much.

As for the episodes u mentioned like Bad Blood, Small Potatoes etc i think that if someone really loved the characters and the show, then he would put these episodes at a very high spot on his list. Thats because they reveal in an enjoyable way all the sides of each character and they offer great character developpement

On the other hand, if someone was wathcing the show only to see what is going to happen with the aliens or the government the CSM etc, then he hasnt appreciated the true meaning and atmosphere of the show...

Closing this manifest, i would just like to say that i also find X-Files to be one of the best TV shows in TV history. Please save these "u are watching the show for the wrong reasons" comments and use it for other members, not for me..Although i think that u are the only member that didnt really apreciated the true meaning of X-files...

(Bruna, get me an aspirine on the way home )
    Edited on 12/20/2006 6:05pm
    Edited 3 total times.

kaitco

[17]Dec 20, 2006
    Nebuchanezzar wrote:
    If you were confused by the mytharc after season 5, maybe this show wasn't for you. I found nothing more or less confusing about it, albeit it did become a little less enjoyable.

It was not just confusing for him/her. It was confusing for a lot of people. I have been watching the show for years and there are many parts of the mytharc post season five that just did not make sense, and were difficult to follow.

Nebuchanezzar wrote:

I'm a little disheartened at the amount of people who include the farce episodes in their top 5, consistently, as if saying that the best thing that The X-Files ever churned out were the likes of Badd Blood, Jose' Chung, Small Potatoes, Acardia and Dreamland. Yeah, they were good, but I just can't say that they were the peak of one of the best TV shows ever. They were heavily dependant on the characters established in the much more dramatic and enthralling mytharc episodes, and without those episodes to depend on they'd be pretty subpar. I mean, they were enjoyable, but better than the likes of Redux, Anasazi or The Sixth Extinction? I just can't bring myself to even sympathise with that point of view. I also happen to think that you might be watching the TV show for the wrong reasons...but that's just me...

Yes, the Anasazi and Redux trilogies were rather enticing, but the reason the entire series was not made up from mytharc episodes was because it would have never lasted. Not all of mytharc episodes were very good and they did not have the ability to draw in audiences and, thus the dollars. It was the Monster-of-the-Week and "sappy" episodes that had audience members using the show as Monday morning "water-cooler" talk. This is evidenced by the fact that so many include so many of these episodes. I hate to say it, but your reasoning puts in you in the minority here.
    Also, a person can choose to watch a television show whatever reason he or she chooses. There is no right or wrong reason to watch a program. I know someone who watched Seinfeld just so that they could talk about how much they hated it the next day. As long as someone finds some enjoyment for it, I do not see a problem.

CSM135

[18]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 22
    I didn't watch the show just because of the mythology i watched it for the MOTWs and the stand alones and the comedic episodes too.

X-Greek

[19]Dec 20, 2006
    Oh and to make things clear once more
    Kaitco i am a male and my name is Anthony

Nebuchanezzar

[20]Dec 20, 2006
    :
    As for the episodes u mentioned like Bad Blood, Small Potatoes etc i think that if someone really loved the characters and the show, then he would put these episodes at a very high spot on his list. Thats because they reveal in an enjoyable way all the sides of each character and they offer great character developpement

I'm not sure that character development is a way I'd describe Small Potatoes or Jose' Chung. Small Potatoes was a one joke slapstick fest, revolving entirely around as many stupid things that Van Blunhdt (awesome name) could do in Mulders body. I am selling the episode short on purpose here, in that yes it is a good episode, but it's problems are rather apparent, and it's not a shining example of the best that the TV series had to offer. It was funny, does that make it the best episode of the series? Of course not, and I think that the reasons why people are listing them so high is based purely on the fact that they were funny. Funny is good, but it's not as good as the enthralling drama of mytharc episodes.

:
    On the other hand, if someone was wathcing the show only to see what is going to happen with the aliens or the government the CSM etc, then he hasnt appreciated the true meaning and atmosphere of the show...

What crap, what utter bullcrap. Yeah, I guess the fact that the show was built around those mytharc episodes, I guess that the fact that it was the driving force behind its continuation and I guess that the fact that the only reason why these MOTW episodes were created was to slow down the mytharc episodes a bit all mean nothing. I haven't missed the point of the show, the users of this particular forum have missed the point of the show. I dare you, I absolutely dare you to step back in time (if it were possible) to when season 3 and 4 were being discussed on the internet and say that the farce episodes were the point of the X-Files. You would have been torn down beyond belief.

[quote=Kaitco]It was not just confusing for him/her. It was confusing for a lot of people. I have been watching the show for years and there are many parts of the mytharc post season five that just did not make sense, and were difficult to follow.[/quote]

Well, let's see some examples then. The only remotely confusing episode of The X-Files that still stuns me to this day is Terma, and I still can't work out half of the stuff in that episode.

:
    Yes, the Anasazi and Redux trilogies were rather enticing, but the reason the entire series was not made up from mytharc episodes was because it would have never lasted. Not all of mytharc episodes were very good and they did not have the ability to draw in audiences and, thus the dollars.

Yeah, and not every MOTW episode was good, nor did it draw in the ratings. What's your point?

:
    It was the Monster-of-the-Week and "sappy" episodes that had audience members using the show as Monday morning "water-cooler" talk. This is evidenced by the fact that so many include so many of these episodes. I hate to say it, but your reasoning puts in you in the minority here.

Yes, amongst a bunch of fans that, dare I say it, haven't been X-Files fans for very long. Go find me a fan that's been there from the beggining (like me) and get him to tell you that the mytharc episodes weren't the backbone of the show. I'm the minority at a site where people are obviously young in age, but amongst the more seasoned X-Files fans I'm clearly in the majority.

And who cares about minority/majority anyway? Why even bring it up? The majority of the US elected George W. Bush for a second term, but does that mean that their decision was the correct one?

:
    Also, a person can choose to watch a television show whatever reason he or she chooses. There is no right or wrong reason to watch a program. I know someone who watched Seinfeld just so that they could talk about how much they hated it the next day. As long as someone finds some enjoyment for it, I do not see a problem.

Nor do I, but I do get annoyed when people tell me that "OMGz, BAD BLOOD IS DA COOLEST EPISODE EVA CUZ ITZ FUNY!"
    Edited on 12/20/2006 6:51pm