The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

When should anyone start watching The Lone Gunmen?

magicquebec

[1]Jan 3, 2009
    • level: 4

Me and my Wife are currently watching the X-files in DVD, we're up to season 6 now, and i got the Lone Gunmen DVD box set a few weeks ago...

When should i start watching it? When does the serie happens in the X-files timeline?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ali_tv_fan

[2]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 13
    Dont watch it!! Its awful and has NOTHING to do with the X-Files (except in name and the geeks). I have already made the mistake of trying to extend my x-files viewing by watching it, but I wouldn't inflict the pain on anyone else. It really is terrible tv.

Piper_freeze

[3]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 19
    Whaaaaaaaaaaat????? ali_tv_fan?? What are you saying there?? The Lone Gunmen have an EXCELLENT show! It's so smart, so funny and just beautiful! Hey, magicquebec, you made a GOOD decision to watch it. It takes place during the X-Files season 8.

I made a video about the show's funny moments. Maybe you wanna watch it to get in the mood for TLG? ^^
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_aXjY-oFA&feature=channel_page

xloverin

[4]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 16
    I don't share the opinion by ali. Except one thing. Yes, the show really has nothing to do with the x files. But that does not mean it's bad. It's funny, really funny, I enjoyed it a lot. As to when to watch it, I'm not quite sure. There's just one reference in txf to this show and my guess it's somewhere around season 7-8 (guys, help me here, episode where tlg go to Scully's and they have blue faces), but I think that if you watch it anytime, it will be okay ;-)

Piper_freeze

[5]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 19
    I guess we both posted at the same time. XD And yes, it's alright to watch TLG at any time.

magicquebec

[7]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 4
    Ok thx! i didnt want to get some spoiler out of this! I'll begin to watch asap!

moonlightenvy

[8]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 10
    I saw an episode of the Lone Gunman and loved it, its different than the X Files but in a good way. Its not as heavy.

CaptainHarkness

[9]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 23
    The Lone Gunmen is awesome. I thought it took place between seasons 8 and 9?

Pennfana

[10]Jan 5, 2009
    • level: 6
    I always got the impression that it took place sort of in the background of part of Season 8, since Mulder pops up in the last episode of TLG, apparently about 48 hours elapse between the end of Season 8 and the beginning of Season 9, and Langly's face is still blue in "Nothing Important Happened Today".

tv_Rescue911

[11]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 50
    So between X-Files seasons 8 and 9 would be a good time to watch TLG?

ChipsTheButler

[12]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 9
    Next week.

tv_Rescue911

[13]Oct 2, 2012
    • level: 50
    I just finished watching TLG, and I've watched X-Files through most of season 9 (up to "Jump the Shark"). As someone previously said, TLG takes place during second half of Season 8.

If you're a stickler for chronology, the TLG/XF timeline goes like this:

Episodes 1 ("Pilot") through 5 ("Three Men and a Smoking Diaper") could take place at any time.

Episodes 6 ("Madam I'm Adam") through 12 ("The Cap'n Toby Show") take place sometime between the X-Files episodes "Three Words" and "Existence". Nothing from those TLG episodes is important to the X-Files, but Frohike makes a comment in "Madam I'm Adam" that would place that episode after "Three Words".

Episode 13 ("All About Yves") takes place between the X-Files episodes "Existence" and "Nothing Important Happened Today-Part 1".

With the exception of the last episode "All About Yves", TLG is okay to watch anytime, but I would recommend watching it after you've seen the X-Files episodes "The Usual Suspects", "Dreamland", "Dreamland II", and "Three of a Kind". Those episodes aren't crucial, but they will help you understand who some of the characters are. Also, if you're going to watch TLG, make sure you watch it BEFORE you watch the X-Files season 9 episode "Jump the Shark". TLG ends in a cliffhanger, and "Jump the Shark" is the resolution to the cliffhanger.

The only TLG episode that contains XF spoilers is "All About Yves". That episode ties in somewhat with the X-Files, and it contains season 8 spoilers up through "Deadalive".

Hope this helps!